Upgrade advice requested

Associate
Hi Guys and Girls

PC died several weeks ago, the common theme seems to be that the motherboard and / or CPU are dead
Options seem to be to try to replace CPU and then the motherboard assuming I could find either of them again or simply do an upgrade like a lot are doing as it was built by Ocuk in 2015

The case is a tower - Be Quiet Silent Base 800, not a fan of flashing lights and won't use them in the PC, plus it sits to the left of me and under the table and so the lights would be redundant
Spent a lot of time looking at various boards and CPU's and then spotted this combo in someone's signature:

New Boot: BLUE SN550 1TB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIE GEN3 £90
ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) £190
Ryzen 5 5600X £350

RYZEN 7 5800X EIGHT CORE 4.7GHZ £400. so £50 more than the first thought and easily covered with the drop from the M.2 4th gen to 3rd gen

The 570's all seem to have motherboard fans and not brilliant comments about noise

I have ordered some AM4 cpu clips off ebay as Ocuk no longer sells bits or the cpu cooler any longer
will be using my current drives, but might be up to increasing the SSD sizes in a few months

Boot: Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD
Games:Samsung 256 GB EVO SSD
Data: Seagate 8TB BarraCuda 5400RPM 256MB

The ram is intended to be replaced at some near point, but for the moment it is
Kingston Predator 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C13 2666MHz Quad Channel Kit

The replacement will probably be
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB 3600MHz 2x16GB DDR4 £170
Using the PC more for processing raw photos and the odd 4k video and noticed it taking it's time, but 64 GB is probably overkill
Games usually played:
Borderlands 3, Rage 2, minecraft, civilisation 5, 6, halo, world of tanks/warships etc

Forgot to write down the windows 10 key, but it is an upgrade from win 8.1, not sure if that was OEM or not, but that upgrade no longer possible even assuming I had the win 8.1 key

But mulling over a 980 Pro 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 4.0 x4 NVMe £220 as the motherboard is PCI-4 figured it might be worth it

Reusing the EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply

GeForce Titan X 12 TB with an AIO EVGA cooling loop with fan that goes to the fan port next to the rear panel. Air cooling is not an option for the titan, it was heating the case air to about 50C and all fans were at max speed trying to dump the heat
Corsair Hydro H100i GTX 240mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Acer Predator XB270HU 27" G-Sync Monitor.

Prices are all Ocuk and will probably need some more paste, got 3/4 of a tube of artic mx-4 that was a recently used to reseal the cpu to the cooler. no change there

Longer term will upgrade the backup PC - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000, M2A-VM HDMI, 1 GB GeForce GTX 460, 120GB SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series,
2 TB Seagate SATA and a lowly 4 GB ram. It is a coolermaster micro-xt case that might well get replaced with something a bit bigger, but that will be for browsing, maybe some films etc. The current pc blue screens more than I would like. The ram currently in use on the new pc can be used for this

Any suggestions to improve the the fit ?

Last edited:
Associate
If you had opted for a cheaper 11600k/budget z590, you could have included the RAM upgrade, and still had some money left, though its slightly worse in performance than the 5600x, but still capable of all you're wanting to do with it.
From your previous thread on trying to diagnose the issue, I'm not sure if you actually ruled out the problem being the RAM.

Associate
OP
the ram is a possibility, i did get the pc to work for a while, but forget on which psu, now neither psu will get it to boot.

will replace the current pc with the old psu just in case there is a psu issue

neither power supply is getting the pc to book and the psu in this pc is one that I was using. The board in this one is DDR2 and the one upstairs probably the same.

the order might well be the ram to cover this possibility

good tip about the pcie 3 vs 4

Associate
OP
Got this lot in basket and pending:
Took a look on other drives and realised that I have games on the HDD as well as a full 256 GB ssd, so a larger boot drive makes sense as does the possibility of the CPU cooler having failed

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3cc-am.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds200t2b0c-hd-57n-wd.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...i-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-6fc-as.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs432g360c8k-my-107-pa.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-3-cpu-cooler-140mm-hs-05a-al.html
Total £910
Got most of a tube of artic mx4 paste from a recent reseating of the old CPU

Soldato
Seems like a solid build to me. I'd agree PCI-E 4.0 drives offer too little for too much extra cost for now, wait until you need to get a bigger drive ina year or two then the price should be more appealing and the drives will be maxing out the bus without having to pay top dollar.

What are you going to do with your old/faulty kit? If you say bin it please don't! I'm more than happy to take a good look at it for you (free of charge) and post it back to you, if/once fixed. Gives me something to do on a weekend, and there is nothing worse than e-waste than can be prevented. :)

Associate
OP
Basket got wiped and password failed, so reset and start over.
The board and cpu are probably dead to me, the ram is under lifetime warranty and intending to put it to a spare pc as this backup crashes a lot, drives will be reused I suspect
did not manage to test the titan, but with luck it is fine

When I have got the pc rebuilt, will be able to see what is spare :)

Tried to purchase after resetting the password

OOPS! LOOKS LIKE AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED!
  • Invalid login details
  • amazon pay seems to work out ok

Last edited:
Soldato
The board and cpu are probably dead to me, the ram is under lifetime warranty and intending to put it to a spare pc as this backup crashes a lot, drives will be reused I suspect
did not manage to test the titan, but with luck it is fine

As I said, nothing ventured nothing gained, I spend most of my life working with PC hardware (job) so tinkering with stuff is relaxing in a weird way, and really rewarding if you bring it back to life. :)

Tried to purchase after resetting the password

Weird, but I use Amazon pay when I can I much prefer it that handing out details to every website. Good luck with the new build it'll be hella fast. :)

Soldato
As I said, nothing ventured nothing gained, I spend most of my life working with PC hardware (job) so tinkering with stuff is relaxing in a weird way, and really rewarding if you bring it back to life. :)

I feel you. I only do it as a hobby (building or attempting diagnosis/repair for others) so it's more seldom than I'd like. Finding what is wrong is indeed rewarding.

@steveliddle I'd send him the stuff, if he fixes it you can sell it or keep as backup or gift to someone.

Associate
OP
8 TB drive is fine, the interface seems to be designed for SSD only

got the pc about half built and the first attempt at cpu cooler fitting ran into issues with the ram height

seems ok now, but might need to be creative on the gpu cooling or dump the AIO water cooler fitted to it, that means the gaming has the side off most likely

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Turned on the new pc and can boot into bios the rufus bootable windows iso thing was needed as ms in their wisdom decided to do away with an OS that fits onto a DVD and would need a dual layer, so will see if I have any older iso's that can burn to dvd.
it is quiet and keeps bugging me about a cpu fan error, so need to check if the fan on the fins is in the cpu fan header or not.

titan seems dead, no activity from the pump / radiator fan and setup is going on that the vga card is not supported by uefi.

something to play around with on the weekend :)

Associate
OP
Downloaded the windows iso creation tool and made a new usb stick so with luck that will work as the rufus one had uefi issues

Noticed a tag of blue tape on the side of the panel with all the usb's so the motherboard needs to come out to remove that and probably the m2 at some point as found a rubber square for the m2

titan has issues, but the fan on the water cooling rad is not working, so either the aio is dead (powered from the card) or the psu is not putting out enough power and might end up with a temporary psu powering only the card or the fan on the radiator is dead, but have 2 spare fans from the old cpu cooler, might end up taking the aio out after the 2nd psu test and revert to stock cooling (very noisy), if the card still works then a replacement for the fans is due, say £70 or a new card that is going to be in the region of £500. No stock here as far as I can see and not sure I want or need top of the range prices

cpu was around 35C

then had to put in the old card from the old pc "the vga card is not supported by the uefi driver, CSM compatibility support module settings have been changed"

Associate
[snip]

The 570's all seem to have motherboard fans and not brilliant comments about noise

[snip]

Too late now but I thought I'd mention that my x570 board has a silent mode for the MB fan. I never hear it, although when deliberately testing it out it could spin to over 5,000rpm! lol

Back
Top Bottom