What is this? (Shocking content!)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Just popped the summer wheels back on (newly refurbished, but now the vibrations are worse because the tyres were on oval wheels) :rolleyes:

Anyway, I thought I'd have a nosey whilst the wheels were off.
I'm no mechanic, but these rear shocks seem past their best. I guess I just need to replace both shocks and call it a day, or just the bump stops or what?

I replaced the front tie rods 10,000 miles ago so I guess it's about time I fix something on the rear end my of 130,000-mile 2010 A6..

VaDGmXi.jpg

TkkkwNW.jpg

Soldato
As per all the posts above it's just the bump stops. If you're minded to replace them it shouldn't be more than 30 mins or so a side - again I wouldn't replace the shocks unless you can see leakage and or they clearly have no resistance when you push them down off the car, particularly not at the rear as they'll be easy to swap.

Soldato
I missed the mileage part, yeah agree if they're actually that old and assuming the shocks haven't just been replaced with the old bumps re used.

They'll be cheap to swap anyway

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Thanks all. It seems a relatively simple job but I haven’t got the tools do to it safely so if it goes to a garage it’ll be new shocks to go with the bump stops.

They’ll probably start weeping sooner or later given grime will start getting in there, so I’ll get them swapped over before my MOT in the summer.

Soldato
I had to do the top mounts on my front suspension legs on my SW20, absolute pain, when I asked a garage to compress the spring for me they couldn't (there aren't enough coils) so I took it to a friends house and we eventually compressed the springs and I was able to change them. It looks like your coil spring/shock absorber set up may be a little more straightforward though with the right tools, but going to the garage means it's guaranteed work.

Associate
inner edge of your tyre also looks unevenly worn as well. this could indicate low tyre pressure, bad alignment, poor shocks/bushes. this could give a vibration if worn bad enough

Alex

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
inner edge of your tyre also looks unevenly worn as well. this could indicate low tyre pressure, bad alignment, poor shocks/bushes. this could give a vibration if worn bad enough

Alex
Rear tyres are fine thx, it’s just the focus on the photo. They’re just shy of 5mm on the outside and just above 4mm on the inside. I do run them a little higher than the “empty” pressure though. Michelin PSS which have done over 40,000 miles now. Impressive wear but they’re coming to 6 years old now..

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Came here to say this myself! Inner edge is definitely out of shape.
FFS they’re fine! I literally just put them on 5 minutes before taking those photos. How can you possibly tell the tread depth across that tyre given that the outer edge is completely out of focus?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Oh, I see what you mean now. Yeah, that could be due to the fact the wheels weren’t round, hence me getting them completely refurbished in the autumn. Pretty sure it was only the fronts though as those rear tyres have never been up front. Also I do run slightly over as mentioned above.

I noticed the little flat spots when I had them in for refurb but it does look properly ****** in that photo :eek:
Like I said, wheels were oval and the rear suspension is likely knackered. I’ve done over 70,000 miles in this thing since I bought it and have done zero to the rear other than a set of pads 4 years ago. It’s literally only been routine servicing and some tie rods up front a year ago.

apologies @telewebby and @no idea what

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom