**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Caporegime
Hi all,

Need a new set for the MX5 and currently thinking PS4's. But i've seen that the Kumho KU39's get mentioned/recommended a lot (for the MX5) at half the price but does anyone know if the Kumho KU39 is still produced (my Googleing is failing me and i'm just getting links to part-worns on eBay)? And has anyone used and/or would recommend them?

Alternatively, the Kumho PS71 is supposedly a better/newer tyre; has anyone had any experience with those?

I was looking at the PS71, after reading some reviews I settled on the HS51 as being the superior tyre and bought a pair of those for the new Acme fleet turd. The KU39 is better than either of them as a dry grip performance tyre. I'm not sure how they compare in wet weather.

For an MX5 I think a mid range tyre is fine. I put T1R's on my MK2 because I knew they would be good in the dry and terrible in the wet. Great fun... :p

But maybe not if you drive it day to day :D

I changed to Vredestein Sportrac 5's after that and could no longer break the back loose. Which I guess is a sign they're good. :p

Caporegime
Good price. Not sure how much rubber I used today at Thruxton. Hopefully I don’t need new soon but I deffo went few a mm or two

Soldato
Michelin instant cash back offer expires tomorrow...get new ones ordered quick! :)

My back ones are on the wear indicators and have been for some time (though not for many miles - thanks pandemic!) so I didn't want to order too soon, but now it looks like I'll be out and about again a bit more in the not-too-distant future thought I'd grab some while there's a saving to be had. I think I got 35,000 out of the back ones, and they've worn really nicely and evenly and still grab like poo on a blanket! Front ones got changed around 25-30,000 I think because the inner shoulders had worn through.

Soldato
Need a new set of tyres for my VRS 245.

Thinking either F1A5 or PS4?

Is there anything much between them?

TIA

I'd probably go with the F1A5. The PS4 on my girlfriends car wore alarmingly fast and much quicker than expected. They didn't last anywhere near as long as the PS4S's did and that was on my M3. The F1A5 is a big jump up in performance over the older F1A3 and very good value also

If driving pleasure is important to you maybe look at the Goodyear Supersport

Soldato
I'd probably go with the F1A5. The PS4 on my girlfriends car wore alarmingly fast and much quicker than expected. They didn't last anywhere near as long as the PS4S's did and that was on my M3. The F1A5 is a big jump up in performance over the older F1A3 and very good value also

If driving pleasure is important to you maybe look at the Goodyear Supersport

Interesting you mentioned this, I just received a set of PS4 as the Supersports were out of stock everywhere and when getting them fitted the tyre fitter mentioned they have had a few people saying the PS4 wear out quickly. They do seem to offer two different compounds as some are label DT1 which is what I got so hopefully they are longer lasting.

Soldato
Interesting you mentioned this, I just received a set of PS4 as the Supersports were out of stock everywhere and when getting them fitted the tyre fitter mentioned they have had a few people saying the PS4 wear out quickly. They do seem to offer two different compounds as some are label DT1 which is what I got so hopefully they are longer lasting.

I got 30k out my PS4's I have no complaints about wear on them.

Soldato
Im still impressed by the PS4S every day even months after getting them. The other day was following a bit too close and with the rain there was surface water on the road - vehicles in front brakes hard, I thought the wheels would lock up and slide a bit but not at all, these tyres are beasts and no had issue coming to a very quick stop with surface water rain. The PS4S is easily the best tyre I've ever used in wet conditions, it has grip for days

Soldato
Im still impressed by the PS4S every day even months after getting them. The other day was following a bit too close and with the rain there was surface water on the road - vehicles in front brakes hard, I thought the wheels would lock up and slide a bit but not at all, these tyres are beasts and no had issue coming to a very quick stop with surface water rain. The PS4S is easily the best tyre I've ever used in wet conditions, it has grip for days
100%, really a VERY very good tyre!

Soldato

I've only had them fitted for a couple of weeks but already I've been very impressed with them.

Ride comfort & noise is so much better than the Bridgestone run flats the car came with, plus grip is just immense.
Not tried them out in the wet yet but sure they will perform more than adequately.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Finally got round to swapping the old rear P-Zeros on the RS3 to PS4S to match the fronts and the difference it made was very noticable, wish I'd done it sooner!

Back
Top Bottom