Is watching the whole of lost going to pay off for me?

Soldato
Lost was great, especially week to week when you didn't know what was going on, the little hidden details and hours of reading theories and Easter eggs etc online during the week between episodes

probably my greatest enjoyment of a program at the time
the last season isn't great and not the most satisfying ending but I loved it at the time
watched it again from the start more recently and first few seasons really strong but tails off later on

im not as devastated by the ending not being great as many were
its ending wasn't as bad as game of thrones ending!! lolololol

Soldato
A friend of mind, who really gets into his shows, was hooked on this and watched every episode as it was aired. I remember him talking excitedly about the final episode and how the producers had promised it would be something 'special.' I never watched a single episode but he claimed there was an 'obvious' 'easy' way to end the show and was convinced the producers wouldn't end it that way..

After the last episode he was really disappointed, he said that the ending was the most obvious one and said he wished he had never watched the show.

For that reason I have never watched a single episode. If I was to do so I'd start with the final one an see if it's as bad as he and some others have said it was.

Man of Honour
A friend of mind, who really gets into his shows, was hooked on this and watched every episode as it was aired. I remember him talking excitedly about the final episode and how the producers had promised it would be something 'special.' I never watched a single episode but he claimed there was an 'obvious' 'easy' way to end the show and was convinced the producers wouldn't end it that way..

After the last episode he was really disappointed, he said that the ending was the most obvious one and said he wished he had never watched the show.

For that reason I have never watched a single episode. If I was to do so I'd start with the final one an see if it's as bad as he and some others have said it was.

For me it is like Stargate Atlantis, etc. worth watching initially just for the premise but ultimately never lives up to it and some aspects you forgave it for early on because you didn't know where it was going and were still hoping for something amazing are just LOL worthy going back trying to rewatch it :s

I remember the reactions at work, etc. when it ended people were not happy.

TBH even though it doesn't have the development, etc. I find Lost more engaging than The Wire or The Shield - I just find those shows lack something I never really quite cared where any of it was going. Even though it is pretty shallow and cheerful I'd rather watch The Rookie until my eyes bled than The Wire.

Soldato
It was a great journey at the time but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone now. The joy was watching it on a weekly basis and talking about it with others. The destination was ultimately not worth it though.

This! So much to discuss and theorise.

The characters were excellent and you were emotionally invested in them, so many sub-plots, twists and turns, timey-wimey, God and the Devil - so much build up and then the ending - fizzled out like a wet fart.

Associate
It was a great journey at the time but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone now. The joy was watching it on a weekly basis and talking about it with others. The destination was ultimately not worth it though.
pretty much sums it up perfectly... loved all the theories that everyone in the office came up with... Lost is a victim of its success and the fact that most fan theories would have ended it better than it did..

The mystery in the first few seasons was absolutely brilliant, Dont know how many times I watched the first 3 mins of season 2 episode 1 :eek:

Soldato
what it does really well: (at times some really amazing stuff)
1. Character stories, especially with the flashbacks
2. the main mysteries especially early on
crash, hatch, smoke, others etc
3. WTF moments
desmond in the hatch, others living in houses, flash-forwards, time travel etc

its biggest problems
1. Holding some answers back for too long (so you don't care by the time you find out)
2. Frustrating bits
e.g they capture ben at one point who can answer at least 100 questions but we don't even ask him!
3. Ending
Smoke monster being the big bad and ending in a bit of a rubbish punch up on a rock, the afterlife bit just confused lots of people and wasn't great

also bonus thing i don't like
Jack starts off the central character and gets sidelined from the story in the last 2 series and just seems kind of pointless

Darn now I want to watch it again

Soldato
We watched some of Lost when it first came out around 2004, but bing watched the lot last year... Can't remember the ending specifics (I swear my memory has been completely shot since Covid), but do recall thinking the conclusion was pretty poor.

Caporegime
Loved it up to and including Season 5, even with all the weird delays due to writers strikes or whatever it was.

Season 6 was a let down, and the ending was poor. It's basically what a lot of people guessed it might have been since the end of Season 1, but made even less sense.

Soldato

If you were into Lost back then ... you will know
I mean, perfect example of why I would still recommend Lost to people. Just that song.. going off watching to see the scene where it's used on YouTube. Absolutely brilliant filmmaking, getting all the feels from that. Lost as a whole, at it's time was, dare I say it, lifechanging.

Back
Top Bottom