15-11600KF Z590 UD AC Fails to boot - Stuck on VGA LED

V F

V F

Soldato
How do so many people manage to bend the socket pins from so many stories I keep reading?

Open socket, place CPU carefully, close clamp and plastic cover pops. Done.

Associate
OP
Easily done when you have been trying to get the rig going after two days. Mrs nagging about the mess, the cost and such.

In the old days, when the pins were on the chips you could easily be more careful because they were stronger, and you could just remove the chip and place it on a foam pad out of harms way. Now the pins on the socket are desperately inviting for an AIO fan or pump corner leg to fall onto it. Sure you are extremely careful on the first install but when you have removed and swapped things out all day long mistakes are made.

---

The latest is that I still can't get it to boot when any of the GFX cards I have at hand are in any of the slots. If the cards are removed I can boot to the iGPU. Any card installed, in any slot, will fail.

Whilst in iGPU mode I have updated to the latest BIOS. I am now trying the various settings in case there is some silly option that needs to be set. I guess maybe I should try a few more GFX cards incase the ones I have are just too old. I can't see why as there is no QVL for GFX and there is no definitive statement that "you can only use ACME version XX cards"

I am discovering more and more postings about Z590 not booting with GFX. It seems this chipset is turning out to be flaky. I wonder if it's rushed technology and if we are seeing a Cougar Town bungle again.

V F

V F

Soldato
Lots were posting on the Gigabyte forums that (while not related to Z590 boards) F20 BIOS versions were bricking a lot of Z490 boards. I'm still seeing people posting that to this very day. F20 being the BIOS to allow 11 Gen to work on Z490.

Sometimes it makes me wonder, does nobody test things no more before making it available?

Soldato
Any option to manually change the PCI-e slot to 3.0 instead of leaving it on auto (presumably 4.0 and may not be switching correctly, don't know).

Associate
OP
Finally I have the solution:

TLDR; ENABLE CSM in the BIOS

Longer Report
This was a complete pain, and has cost me £250 in extra notes - wasted. More than that I spent 3 days on this with unsuccessful help from Gigabyte and not much research material on t'internet. In the end, it was a combination of factors, and a hint from a posting to check CSM mode. Who would have thought eh?

I purchased the KF (non internal graphics) series to save a few quid. I also prefer to run a cheap discreet GFX because it can help with OC and temps. The saving of a few quid appeased the mrs, but in the end cost me more

Using the specs as shown in the opening post I attempted to build this rig. It was easy to do but failed to boot. Initially I suspected the KF to be at fault and to a degree it was in that it hindered the resolution of the problem. This created a classic catch 22 in that I needed to go into the BIOS to check settings to enable the GFX cards but in order to do so, I have to enter the BIOS via the iGPU first, and as there is no iGPU on the KF chip I was stuck in limbo land.

During the continual testing and replacing of parts (everything from RAM, to NVME, to PSU, to coolers) I had managed to damage the mobo. My fault, hands up, sorry for wasting your time Gigabyte (who's Roy and Moss line is "have you bent the pins").

I ordered a new motherboard and the same fault appeared. This led me to believe that I did need to get into the BIOS and the only way to do that was with a chip with iGPU. I located the cheapest I could find that would work with this board - a G6400.

That chip worked but only when no GFX cards were installed. If a card was installed on any of the slots the boot would fail. The only way to boot / get into the BIOS is with the iGPU and no GFX inserted at all.

Next I tried updating the BIOS, incase there was a flaw with earlier versions. I installed the latest (ironically dated 1st April) and that had no effect on the problem.

Once in the BIOS I tried various options: Setting Graphics to onboard / external / auto. I tried other others connected with PCI / PCH all to no effect.

After prompting that CSM could be the issue I ENABLED that option. I then plugged in the R7 250X and it booted perfectly.

Summary
This was a wasted weekend and I am disappointed that Gigabyte could have said right at the start "If using the KF series you need to boot into the BIOS and enable CSM if you want to use a GFX card". Of course they can not say that at all, because they know the KF series will not produce a display.

So if I can give some advice it is to stay away from F series chips. If you don't then you may find that motherboard manufacturers are going to snafu you because they don't have the sense to detect if a KF is installed and automatically enable GFX cards.

If you are going to go down the F series route then ensure you have a donor chip at hand like the G6400 as you will need this if ever you need to go into the BIOS after a BIOS reset, change of battery or BIOS updated. My gosh, I am going to now dread updating the BIOS. I think I will just freeze it as it is and never update it (unless of course Gigabyte address the issue for F series users)

Soldato
and thanks all for the pointers. I love this place. Always get good suggestions and resolutions here.

Glad to see you got it sorted in the end, but enabling CSM isn't a solution as the cards should work without this being turned on. Seems like Gigabyte have made a total pigs ear of the BIOS's on the Z590 series and funnily enough the only B560 board I haven't used is one from Gigabyte, and they were all F CPU's, so they work fine in ASRock/ASUS/MSI/Biostar and they are all POST tested with an R9 270 so a very similar card to yours OP.

I really must say I hope Gigabyte resolve this issue, otherwise I will recommend people steer well clear of their boards for the time being.

V F

V F

Soldato
Glad to see you got it sorted in the end, but enabling CSM isn't a solution as the cards should work without this being turned on. Seems like Gigabyte have made a total pigs ear of the BIOS's on the Z590 series and funnily enough the only B560 board I haven't used is one from Gigabyte, and they were all F CPU's, so they work fine in ASRock/ASUS/MSI/Biostar and they are all POST tested with an R9 270 so a very similar card to yours OP.

I really must say I hope Gigabyte resolve this issue, otherwise I will recommend people steer well clear of their boards for the time being.

Definitely. With CSM enabled he wont be able to use a card with ReBar installed. CSM must be disabled to work with ReBar cards.

So that comes back to what I said earlier. Don't these companies test their stuff before release? I mean seriously. How hard is it to have good competent testers?

Associate
OP
I can't believe my luck.

Rig working great all day then 8:30 tonight we get quick succession power cuts. Off / On ... Off ... On. Off for half hour. When I went back to the rig it would not boot.

Presuming the BIOS has reset back to CSM disabled I then go through that whole rigmarole of using the G6400 chip to access the BIOS. But now even this thing won't boot. The Red LED is stuck on DRAM.

Waiting half hour for the CMOS to drain and trying again.

Soldato
I can't believe my luck.

Rig working great all day then 8:30 tonight we get quick succession power cuts. Off / On ... Off ... On. Off for half hour. When I went back to the rig it would not boot.

Presuming the BIOS has reset back to CSM disabled I then go through that whole rigmarole of using the G6400 chip to access the BIOS. But now even this thing won't boot. The Red LED is stuck on DRAM.

Waiting half hour for the CMOS to drain and trying again.

Ugh... that is pants.

I have my main rig and micro server on a UPS to avoid these things, as we had something similar a few weeks back.

No need to wait 30 mins for CMOS, just remove battery and unplug from mains, hit the PSU on button a few times, or short the header and you'll be good.

V F

V F

Soldato
I doubt it'll make much difference but what if you try flicking the BIOS switch to the backup BIOS to see what happens?

Associate
OP
I have had a reply back from Gigabyte.

"Z590 motherboard CSM Support option is disabled by default in BIOS. The graphics card you have does not support UEFI (GOP) booting, therefore the video card cannot be recognised and have the 5 beeps error.

You can also ask the graphics card manufacturer if there is an FW that supports GOP boot."

If they told me that at the begining it would have saved me days of hassle and a couple of hundred notes.

I have wasted too much time on this. I can't get a decent graphics at the moment - obviously! So I have now ordered an ASUS mobo and a non F series 11600K.

The Gigabyte and the KF can go in storage until a) graphics cards are sensibly priced and available, or b) Gigabyte sort this mess out.

Associate
The Gigabyte and the KF can go in storage until a) graphics cards are sensibly priced and available, or b) Gigabyte sort this mess out.
Well, you've certainly been more than fair to Gigabyte. If I had ended up having to buy a new motherboard it would have been any other brand than the one I suspected.

Associate
OP
Here's how ASUS do it:

asus.jpg

"CSM settings have been changed for better compatability"

Gigabyte just say the card is not compatible so you need to go into the catch 22 BIOS to enable CSM, Asus detect there is an issue and just do it for you!

Back
Top Bottom