Why is Bradford so hated?

Soldato
As usual just a very small section of people give it a bad name, overall vast majority justing getting on with life. People pick up on the doom & gloom because it can be satisfying, I do it also.

Associate
Here's a summary of Bradford from someone who lives there.(Not me)

Dare to use public transport around the Interchange and you will inevitably get stabbed. Venture a mile or so out of the city centre (if you dare) and things don’t improve one bit. The area of Manningham (famous for some of Britains worst ever riots in 2001) resembles a third-world war zone. Listerhills, with it’s derelict crumbling mills and huge selection of emaciated, smack riddled whores wandering the streets, even in broad day light, is literally a no-go area, whilst Great Horton, Frizinghall and Thornbury offer nothing but row upon row of run-down or boarded up terraced houses, where you’ll struggle to find anybody at all who speaks English. Venture a couple miles North to Shipley and be confronted by a population of ***** who reside on notorious council estates such as Windhill and West Royd. These cider swilling, wizz snorting, tracksuit wearing monsters are truly dangerous people, who will no doubt “kick t’ **** out o’ yer” if you even glance in their direction. Set eyes on the architectural ogre of Shipley clock tower and you will no doubt require some sort of counselling.

Sounds delightful I'm sure you'll agree

What utter ****** the opening line is LOL. I lived in Bradford for a few decades. There is areas of deprevation like many cities have and the problems with that. IE some chav scum from white council estates and Pakistani areas. Most people are normal people wanting the best for themselves and their family.

What I appreciated about Bradford was that after spending around £100 on getting a curry with a bird I was visiting in the south I could go back home, walk down some stairs into a cellar and get a much better curry for less than a fiver plus the chappatis and starters are free in Bradford you pay extra for them in most parts of the country.

Want to keep you car well maintained? Bradford is much cheaper than Nottingham were I've moved to now

Also if you want to buy a big house Bradford is probably one of the cheapest places in the country

Soldato
It's why I left wast Yorkshire, not Bradford in particular but I found it depressingly run down and neglected the sort of place where sofas are dumped over the fence rather than going to the tip, been to the science /media museum there that was OK but a lot of areas are literally no go zone's, pretty grim.
Still spend a fair bit of time in west Yorkshire when I visit family in Mirfield and ex partners family in Batley and find them OK (but terrible compared to Cornwall) but would never go there again
Multple edits /need coffee

Last edited:
Caporegime
What utter ****** the opening line is LOL. I lived in Bradford for a few decades. There is areas of deprevation like many cities have and the problems with that. IE some chav scum from white council estates and Pakistani areas. Most people are normal people wanting the best for themselves and their family.

What I appreciated about Bradford was that after spending around £100 on getting a curry with a bird I was visiting in the south I could go back home, walk down some stairs into a cellar and get a much better curry for less than a fiver plus the chappatis and starters are free in Bradford you pay extra for them in most parts of the country.

Want to keep you car well maintained? Bradford is much cheaper than Nottingham were I've moved to now

Also if you want to buy a big house Bradford is probably one of the cheapest places in the country

There's a pub in Bradford that only sells one make. I can't recall the make but they sell it at the tebay services in the fancy shop so it must be something decent just peculiar and not really well known.

Anyway in said pub you can buy a round for 3 people and get change from a fiver. It's been a while since I was there but I was right next to a train station in a nice hotel which used to be the old train station and we never ventured far just walking distance.

Said pub did have some old **** heads in it but it was probably typical for a non trendy place where the toilet you have to walk outside into the back into an outbuilding.

I guess most folk don't like it because of the prevalence of a certain ethnic minority and tbh the same can be said for pollokshields in Glasgow. Where they will literally just dump mattresses and crap on the pavement outside their own homes and let the council deal with it.

You also then get the gang culture with these deprived areas and the drugs that go along with it. A stone's throw away is some of the nicest houses you will ever see as well in the south side of Glasgow.

I'm not in any hurry to ever go back albeit my experience was fine 3 days was enough. The locals do like a good drink from the ones we met in the pubs. I would however still rate it higher than London which is a genuine cess pit.

Soldato
I'd say like a 3rd world country but really that's an insult to the 3rd world country.

Its a shame because as a city, it has great architecture, interesting features etc, it could be a really nice place. The countryside around is beautiful. But then in suffered from the closing of the mills etc, industrial revolution, became poor and deprived, and then invaded by the now inhabitants, I guess because it was cheap.

Soldato
It isnt a North thing, Luton is also a dump.

Bedfordshire has been trying to offload it to London for years, but even they dont want it. It sucks up all the county's money for policing.

These towns are cheap (except car insurance lol) because no one else wants to live or work there.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went to university in Bradford and had a nice time. It's a city dominated by two halves. University students, and people of Pakistani descent.

For a student, that meant that there was great food, cheap beer and lots of nightlife. For the 'locals' that means a steady income (from rent) and that money looked like it was mostly ploughed into flash cars that spend most evenings cruising and trying to offer young ladies a lift.

I never experienced any violence while I was there - but that was 20 years ago. Times have changed. :(

Soldato
It's a hole but you won't get stabbed if you get on the wrong bus line a lot like to claim here lol. I lived in areas like that in London for years, Thornton heath, wood green, Tottenham etc and yeah they're problematic but people don't go around stabbing everyone lol. It's just typical geeky forum crap. The areas have their problems with drugs and gangs but if you're not part of it there's little to worry about as long as you don't stupidly put your yourself in these positions...

Soldato
Well you can view the north in one of two ways

The peak district, lake district, whitby, lincolnshire wolds, york, yorkshire dales....

or places like bradford :D

Back
Top Bottom