Vbox VMs freeze

Soldato
It's a bit of a long shot but wondering if any one has had similar issues.

I have a Windows 10 laptop for work which I run Ubuntu 20.04 lts as a VM inside.

All is fine except sometimes if I leave the pc unattended for a period of time, (lunch etc) when I came back to it I can not wake up the VM. Sometimes it's just black sometimes it's just a frozen picture of the login screen on the VM.

Virtual box guest additions are installed.

I then have to hard shutdown the VM and restart the VM. But this is not great if I have work open I am doing in the VM I can't just hard shutdown everytime it freezes up :(

I was using an old version of Windows 10, but on Fri I updated it to the latest windows release and yet this issue still happens.

I've never had such issues running vbox on Linux.

Soldato
Have you tried playing around with the VM's display settings? Upping the video memory, trying the other graphics controllers assuming you're using the default VMSVGA.

Soldato
It sounds like some sort of power saving option in Ubuntu that isn't compatible with VirtualBox. I'm not familiar enough with Ubuntu to tell you what to look for, so perhaps somebody more knowledgable can give you some pointers.

Soldato
OP
It sounds like some sort of power saving option in Ubuntu that isn't compatible with VirtualBox. I'm not familiar enough with Ubuntu to tell you what to look for, so perhaps somebody more knowledgable can give you some pointers.

Thanks for that. It's not confirmed to work yet but I changed the power settings in the Ubuntu VM so let's see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom