US police thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Often the police are called to do "Welfare checks"...
I think it's fine for the police to not deal with that as it's not a legal matter. However, whilst some do want to divert some funding away from the police to deal with the above, it seems as if most of the "defund the police" talk is from people who just want to punish law enforcement who end up lawfully shooting someone. Most of the shootings I've seen occur when dispatch get a call about someone who is armed, and when you get that call, whether the person is mentally ill or not, you need the police to deal with it. You could send a social worker along too, but it's usually over within 5 minutes anyway.

Soldato
The UK and US are very different places. If you have a gun in the UK as a firearms officer you are trained to do only that. You are not called to random domestics with your firearms. You are not doing random traffic stops with your firearm.

The pressure and danger of being a cop is the US must be huge compared to the UK. I tried to find statistics to compare the US and UK but there don't seem to be any good stats for the UK.

Last year 45 cops were killed by guns in the US, I wonder how many were shot or wounded. On a side note, 15 died from illness related to 9/11 even this long after the event.
Depends what part of the UK Guess you never had your car surrounded with cops with MP5's ^^

Soldato
Well, I think if this was just one isolated incident - a freak occurrence if you will, then ok... But it isn't is it? Taken in context, this sort of thing just keeps happening, over and over again. Saying "unqualified people should just shut up" makes you come across as an apologist for incompetence and stupidity.

It's a country of 350 million people, do you know how many interactions that is each day? I think people really struggle with understanding big numbers. I mean roughly one person a week is killed by a dog in America, but the media aren't looking for dog attacks because people won't click that story, they will for a Police shooting. If they reported each dog attack like they did Police shooting the wrong person people would be protesting dogs within a month

Caporegime
OP
"Daunte Wright shooting: Brooklyn Center city manager fired after call for due process for police officer"

Now the he assumes power of police department.

That guy has gone to far now.

Just looking at his Twitter feed - it's funny how these things are now "peaceful protests" again...

It's like everyone in the US has trouble recognising riots these days:

If BLM/Antifa then the riot is a: "fiery but mostly peaceful protest"

If MAGA guys/militia lunatics then the riot is a: "coup attempt"

Man of Honour
Can someone explain how you forget you left from right? I know I'm left handed, she knew the gun was on her dominant side and the taser on the non dominant side. She still grabbed the gun, the gun will have weighted a lot more than the taser and probably felt very different, the gun will have a safety catch which she must have flicked off. I get it was stressful but that is the job, if in just a situation where someone is trying to run away from you, (something I'm sure happens all the time) you can't keep it together enough to know which side your gun is on and at no point realise you are holding your gun until after you discharge it you should never be doing the job. Just fire her already. Poorly trained and clearly not capable of doing the job.

As VincentHanna touched on the standard issue Glocks have a trigger safety rather than manual - in a panic situation they don't really provide a barrier to discharge a manual safety would - though that is why they are often used.

Caporegime
Associate
No I haven't, funilly enough.

I haven't no. Was one of them accidentally pointing a taser at you instead of an MP5? Easily done.

I more rural areas of the UK fire arms units often pull double duty as traffic duties so that they can be kept mobile to cut down on response times when major police stations can be 30-40miles apart.
Or at least that is my understanding, I know there is a few serving officers on the board eho may be able to correct me.

Man of Honour
I've been a copper for 21 years and have been taser trained for the last 5 or 6 of them starting with the X26 single shot then qualified on the X2 about 18 months ago when the 26 was phased out.

I'm not an AFO and it has never interested me but I still must carry taser on my non dominant side for a cross draw which is none negotiable and AFOs must do the same with AFOs carrying a sidearm on their dominant side. To my knowledge, all UK forces use the yellow X2 or 26 so they can be easily identified although that seems to not be the case in the US where many black coloured ones are used.

A huge difference between the US and UK, and rightly so, is that taser is not to be used over here for pain compliance which it seems to be in certain cases over in the US. By pain compliance I mean if a suspect is passive but does not comply with instructions given although that could change in the UK if there was information that the suspect was in possession of a weapon and did not comply with showing their hands etc but it would have to have that elevated risk in line with the NDM.

The fatal shooting in the US where taser was meant to be used does indeed raise concerns but in a dynamic situation it's a fact that mistakes happen no matter how highly trained one might be. It does raise that marked difference between policing here and over there.

Caporegime
OP
Attacking the Capitol building and trying to hang the Vice President is a bit different to randomly smashing up places...

Yeah BLM/Antifa never rioted in DC... never said anything threatening towards Trump...

definitely "peaceful protests" when they do it and not riots but loads of hyperbole when MAGA loons and militia guys riot

not sure when you think anyone "tried" to hang Pence tho...

Back in reality both right-wing loons and left-wing loons are prone to rioting

Caporegime
Permabanned
The media didn't call it an insurrection and Washington DC wasn't militarised when then President Trump had to be evacuated to the Whitehouse bunker by the Secret Service.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-took-shelter-white-house-020928976.html

We've come to expect such double standards from the Democrats and corporate media though.

Brave Sir Trump ran away.
Bravely ran away away.
When danger reared it's ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Trump turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Swiftly taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the brave, Sir Trump!

Stop lying you brainwashed looney. Take your drivel to Gab where they will give your lies a mutual reach around.

Associate
If you did that on a firearms team in the UK you'd never handle a weapon again. That isn't a simple mistake and if you can't handle the kind of pressure they are likely to see on a regular basis you shouldn't be doing the job. She is either criminally inept or a murderer who knew what she was doing. Neither is good.

No point making a comparison really. On one hand you have a land that may as well be an episode of Cops set in the Shire, and the other being set in Mordor just to point out the typical levels of danger each could face on a daily.

I would hazard to say a UK police officer would be a terrible police officer in US and could put both themselfs and their colleagues lives at risk simply by being unaware of just how much danger they can face.

The USA also have a firearms team, they'll called the SWAT they'll go out on clear intelligence and usually apprehend people dead or alive if they can safetly do so. They don't go out to interact with the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom