• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cheapest GPU which will run "most" games

Associate
Which GPU would be the cheapest someone could buy, that would permit them to load and play most modern titles, on low settings is fine. Not necessairily the AAA blockbuster titles, but the ability to play most modern era stuff.

They probably wont even buy a GPU to begin with.
They will probably start with onboard graphics - which is what they have now.

Im advising them to get a tower case, so they can upgrade the GPU.

They seem perfectly happy gaming with onboard graphics, running a game at 22 FPS when ive popped round to see them. But they need a new computer. And were thinking of buying one with onboard graphics again...

I dont know if a 1060 would run most modern games ok, on low settings?
That looks like a very reasonably priced card. What do you guys think?

Caporegime
A 1060 is still OK for 1080p, just try and make sure it's the 6GB model, the 3GB is cut down in more ways than just the memory. Just don't expect Cyberpunk style visuals but it'll slay Fortnite and Roblox easily and even some newer games will play OK on medium settings. A GTX970 is also OK too.

Associate
I've had a 980ti for the past 6 years (until it died the other day) and it's served me very well. Can definitely run most games at 1080p low-med settings 60ps.

Caporegime
If you can wait a few months the new Ryzen APU's are due to be released in the Summer apparently and are supposed to be a huge leap in performance over the previous chips and some have even said compare to the RX580!

Associate
If you can wait a few months the new Ryzen APU's are due to be released in the Summer apparently and are supposed to be a huge leap in performance over the previous chips and some have even said compare to the RX580!

really? Wow that will be super impressive if that is true. Will make budget gaming pc building costs drop to unheard of levels.

Associate
A 1050Ti delivers a playable console-like experience frame rate wise with RDR2 at 1080p high however recent graphics demanding titles like MSFS2020 would be a bridge too far for that card.

Caporegime
really? Wow that will be super impressive if that is true. Will make budget gaming pc building costs drop to unheard of levels.
They haven't actually said if the 5000 APU's will be available at retail yet though, the 4000 series were large PC companies only, not for public sale.

Man of Honour
probably something as old as a 1070 would be ok.

1070 still holds up fine in most games even at 1440p as long as you aren't expecting more than 60 FPS with decent quality settings. A lot of games you can still run ultra settings as long as that doesn't include ray tracing though some more recent games you are going to have to turn a lot of stuff down to high.

Associate
In my old machine, I have a 1050Ti paired with an i7-7700k and a 1440p screen. My son plays Roblox and Minecraft without any apparent difficulties. I tried Assassins Creed Valhalla and get a minimum 30fps on medium settings but the gameplay is ok. My daughter has a new machine with a Ryzen 5 5600x and my old single fan EVGA Superclocked 1060 6GB which obviously gives better performance than the 1050Ti but I haven't had a chance to check that system myself with any modern games. The 1060 did serve me well until I altruistically had to give it to my daughter so she could actually use her Christmas present. I would think even the 1060 6GB would be a minimum spec to be honest though and I wouldn't recommend it for anything over 1080p.

Associate
I'm still running a GTX 780 3gb. Works quite well at 1080p medium settings, GTAV, RDR2, DCS etc. Rest of spec in my signature. Have the money to replace it for ages but hanging on for a 6800XT or 3080ti...some time before I die.

You can pick up a 780 on ebay fairly cheaply.

Associate
Cezzane (Zen3 APU code name) specs are mostly confirmed and the rumour is the die will go from Renoir's 156mm² to around 180mm² but that will be for the larger Zen3 cores and doubling the L3: graphics won't be upgraded from Renoir.
In fact, in terms of area they are still a downgrade from. The original 3000 APUs which had Vega 11 whereas Renoir tops out at Vega 8 (but runs faster to make up the speed).

Associate
2 of my kids had 2gb gtx770's until Christmas, paired with 4770k/4690k and 16gb ram. They were able to play all the usual stuff kids play these days at 1080p without any issues. Eg. Secret neighbour, Sea of thieves, Fortnite, Minecraft, Fall guys and the likes. I think they're a bit faster than a 1050ti, although they use more power with a 8pin+6pin. Used price is around £70 atm.

In fact the only reason they got an upgrade was for VR, because otherwise they weren't complaining. So they got my old 1080, and my wife's old 1070. On that note, a 1070 is actually good enough to play Cyberpunk at 1080p high 30-45fps, and good enough for most games on a rift s - maybe all games bar MSFS2020. You could say that you get a playable 1080p experience on pretty much any modern game with gtx1070.

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Cezzane (Zen3 APU code name) specs are mostly confirmed and the rumour is the die will go from Renoir's 156mm² to around 180mm² but that will be for the larger Zen3 cores and doubling the L3: graphics won't be upgraded from Renoir.
In fact, in terms of area they are still a downgrade from. The original 3000 APUs which had Vega 11 whereas Renoir tops out at Vega 8 (but runs faster to make up the speed).

still makes them pointless for any sort of serious gaming. its like amd dont want to give them too much grunt as they could cut the legs off lower level cards (if there where any).

Back
Top Bottom