Reliable 10m HDMI cable (4k/60/hdr)

Soldato
I need a decent reliable HDMI cable to connect my PC to my AV receiver, unfortunately they are in opposite corners of the room, so 10m is the shortest which will reach (actually, 9 would probably do, but 8 is just too short :().

I've currently got a reasonably decent one (CSL brand from Amazon), nice thick guage, and it connects fine, the problem is, it loses sync for a couple of seconds occasionally (maybe 1-2 times an hour), which is really inconvenient when in the middle of a game!

Any suggestions on how to address this? Powered cable or something? Or would a display port to HDMI cable make a difference? Don't particularly want to spend a fortune :/

Soldato
You will want to run a fibre optic hdmi cable at that length, but unfortunately they are not cheap. Ruipro is one brand who puts the cable through every stress test possible, but also one of the more expensive ones, but can confirm it works as been running mine now for over a year with no issues at that length.

Soldato
I have one, a 18 Gbps HDMI 2.0 fibre-optic cable from Atzebe. Works just fine and costs £50. You can get the HDMI 2.1 version for £60 or so.

Caporegime
I think sky say officially shouldn't use anything longer than 3m.

Personally I'd move the pc within 3m.

In fact it's what I did I put the htpc right next to the avr.

Just buy wireless keyboard and mouse. They are better than wired apparently these days.

Man of Honour
It's more the relative cost compared to a standard HDMI cable at 1/5th of the price :p
The problem with the £10 cables though is they don't work reliably or just don't work at all. Not at these resolutions and refresh rates.

So it's hardly like you're buying something superfluous to your basic needs.

Regular High Speed 10Gb HDMI cables are stupidly cheap, so that doesn't help the price comparison. If you were talking VGA cable to do 1080p at 10m then the cost for that where it doesn't introduce picture problems would be over £100.

Soldato
OP
I think sky say officially shouldn't use anything longer than 3m.

Personally I'd move the pc within 3m.

In fact it's what I did I put the htpc right next to the avr.

Just buy wireless keyboard and mouse. They are better than wired apparently these days.

Not really an option since then I'd have the same issue with the 10m hdmi or DP cable to connect my monitor on my desk :D

The problem with the £10 cables though is they don't work reliably or just don't work at all. Not at these resolutions and refresh rates.

Very true, I'll take a look at the fibre ones, do I need to take into account latency with them?

If you were talking VGA cable to do 1080p at 10m then the cost for that where it doesn't introduce picture problems would be over £100.

Not a great comparison when that's an analogue signal, vs HDMI being digital

Caporegime
Not really an option since then I'd have the same issue with the 10m hdmi or DP cable to connect my monitor on my desk :D

Very true, I'll take a look at the fibre ones, do I need to take into account latency with them?

Steam link for 1080p and stream the pc to TV. In the same room wire them both to ethernet and no latency.

Or alternatively Nvidia shield for 4k.

Man of Honour

That's where you're wrong. Its the classic trap, the same as thinking of a digital aerial.

Analogue and digital are just voltages down a bit of wire. It's what happens at the source and receiver that determines whether those voltages are interpreted as analogue or digital. The comparison then is entirely valid and relevant.

Wzd

Wzd

Associate
I can recommend the "Snowkids" brand available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/cord-Snowkids-18Gbps-Compatible-Support-Ethernet-Grey/dp/B07WSWJZ7G/

I have one of their 12m HDMI 2.0 cables going from my TV's ARC to AV Receiver that are at opposite sides of my room and haven't had any issues. On their longer cables there is a small booster section that you might have to take into account when hiding the cable. But the fact that the cables are braided makes it easier to bend around corners. I have one of their 2m HDMI 2.1 cables connecting my PS5 to the TV which works really great too. They're also not too expensive :)

Soldato
Are you running 4k content through the 12m cable? That's where the non fibre ones tend to have the dropout issues.

Associate
I had the same problem over a long run

Purchased a powered HDMI repeater and it fixed the issue no difference in quality or framerate.

Back
Top Bottom