Trying to remove oven bulb cover

Soldato
The bulb died in my Bosch oven but the thick glass that covers it broke while trying to get it off. It uncrews anticlockwise except it won't unscrew, it's completely stuck. I used a wrench to try and remove it and that's when the glass broke. I can't unscrew the glass that remains and I can't get a grip on it with the wrench plus it's awkward with the grill element surrounding it.

If I smash it I might be left with bits of glass stuck in the screw threads that might not fall out and won't be grippable to unscrew. Any idea how to remove it?

20210413-142621.jpg

20210413-142418.jpg

20210413-143027.jpg

Soldato
You're going to have to run the oven a bit to warm it up and see if that loosens the glass and allows you to carefully twist it out. I'd use some pliers or grips with tape to try and grab the remaining glass and take it out like a broken bulb. Don't try and break the glass out, you want to try and unscrew what's left so you can get all of it out of the thread.

You shouldn't have used a wrench, as that point pressure is what broke the glass. There is a rubber tool you can get that goes over the glass, though I just usually find a rubber washing up glove gives loads of grip to twist the glass out.

Soldato
Aye heat expansion and grease over time make the bulb cover bloody awful, and frequently they are placed that far back you can't get a wrench securely over them.
Last time I had to repalce I gave up, a professional cleaner happened to be booked for the next week, he came did his thing, and then redid the cleaning around the blub, and managed eventually to get the bloody thing off.

One probably should screw and unscrew the cover every month or something to stop them seizing.

All the normal lubricant's WD40 etc are likely very flammable so best not to use, needle nosed curved pliers might work on the broken blub, might actually give you a bit of purchase.
Bump cover is the worst thing about our otherwise excellent oven.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys. I'll warm the oven and try with pliers then. Haven't got rubber washing up gloves but have some thicker red rubber work type gloves that I'll wear. I was thinking of putting some WD40 or 3 in 1 around the ring but I can't see any gaps for it to go into.

Soldato
OP
Aye heat expansion and grease over time make the bulb cover bloody awful, and frequently they are placed that far back you can't get a wrench securely over them.
Last time I had to repalce I gave up, a professional cleaner happened to be booked for the next week, he came did his thing, and then redid the cleaning around the blub, and managed eventually to get the bloody thing off.

One probably should screw and unscrew the cover every month or something to stop them seizing.

All the normal lubricant's WD40 etc are likely very flammable so best not to use, needle nosed curved pliers might work on the broken blub, might actually give you a bit of purchase.
Bump cover is the worst thing about our otherwise excellent oven.

In that case I won't use WD40 or any oil. How much did it cost to get a cleaner in? I might need to do that if I have no luck.

Soldato
Mmmm, nothing beats the smell of WD40 on your roasties!
I'd not be using WD40, maybe try a food-friendly oil around it first? But I agree a little heat might help.

Soldato
Tap it gently with a piece of wood - may knock thread loose? (usually works with a jam jar lid)

Or spray with oven cleaner spray to dissolve gunk in thread?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had success with freeze sprays - and failures. It'll give you that extra bit of contraction. But it depends how much contraction is needed to do the job if you see what I mean.

Associate
When you are done messing with various chemicals (WD40, ect) run the oven on the hottest setting for a stint to burn away and and all residue, this way you'll not have funny tasting foods lol.
Also a good clean before running incase anything you use is flamable.

Looking at what you have left and the fact you'll not be reusing it ;) go to town breaking it out but be careful not to damage the oven thread for when you replace it.

Wood may be the best and least destructive option and there seems to be a nice straight edge to get some twisting action on. Anything metal is going to break the glass.

Spray liberally with a degreaser and twist back and fourth by hand in some tough gloves as to not cut yourself.

Soldato
OP
Thanks JayMax and Dwarfy. Just had a bit of a go with needle nose pliers with a tea cloth over the pliers to stop metal to metal but any pressure was breaking tiny pieces of glass. I think i'll buy that tool you linked. But tomorrow I'll first try tapping a piece of wood lightly against the glass in the anti clockwise direction it's meant to turn.

Meanwhile, I wanted to use the grill tonight. The bulb will be heatproof but since it's exposed, will it be safe to use the grill without the bulb exploding? I can unscrew the bulb a bit but not enough to remove it as there's still some glass cover blocking it.

Soldato
Mmmm, nothing beats the smell of WD40 on your roasties!
I'd not be using WD40, maybe try a food-friendly oil around it first? But I agree a little heat might help.

I don't know if you are old enough but Castrol R has a much better smell. :)

Oven bulb covers are a PITA - I don't screw them up tight anymore - just gently turn till it stops.

Soldato
OP
I don't know if you are old enough but Castrol R has a much better smell. :)

Oven bulb covers are a PITA - I don't screw them up tight anymore - just gently turn till it stops.

Yeah, I'll definitely do that next time. Also, I haven't looked yet to see where to get a replacement cover. Maybe Amazon will have one otherwise I'll have to buy one from bosch.

Soldato
Glass is broken already so needs to be changed, bulb housings are normally complete items (bulb holder, bulb and glass cover) usually they have retaining barbs behind cavity which you press in to release holder.

Soldato
So glad I saw this post, I have the same issue with my Neff oven that I can't remove the cover from to get to the bulb.
I had no idea there was a tool, so I've just ordered that one which will hopefully work.

Soldato
... break the actual bulb and extract that by unscrewing with long nose/needle pliers ,
which will then give good purchase to get a garden gloved thumb inside and unscrew the outer.

Back
Top Bottom