Kia e-Niro 4+ vs Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus

Soldato
I have a friend who is considering one of these cars.

Kia e-Niro 4+ or the Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus

The Kia is the lesser brand but cheaper by about 10% and comes very well reviewed.

The Tesla is the bigger brand and looks much more sexy. About £4k more expensive though.

That do you reckon?

Soldato
OP
Totally different vehicles. Why is he comparing them?

Why different?

I suppose your right. Ones an SUV and the other isn't.

Well it was me telling him if your spending close to £40K on a new electric car why not go the whole hog and get the Tesla.

He's concern is the Kia is the top of the range and the Tesla is the bottom model.

The difference is about 4k with the Tesla costing more.

Soldato
Why different?

I suppose your right. Ones an SUV and the other isn't.

Well it was me telling him if your spending close to £40K on a new electric car why not go the whole hog and get the Tesla.

He's concern is the Kia is the top of the range and the Tesla is the bottom model.

The difference is about 4k with the Tesla costing more.

I suppose a lot comes down to how the person will be using it, Tesla has a shorter range, if they are looking at the 64kWh e-Niro, but Tesla has the Supercharger network and much faster charging speeds if they are expecting to do lots of long journeys.

And yes, one is a saloon semi-performance car, and the other is a crossover/small SUV with a much higher ride height, which apparently a lot of people these days seem to 'need'.

Tesla will likely hold more value, but by the same token you can probably get way more deals on the Kia via Carwow etc. (making it cheaper again) as the Tesla is a fixed price. How long will they keep it for?

Tech in the Tesla is superior (IMO and many others), and the OTA updates mean it will get better over time without having to visit a dealer.

There are so many difference you need to make a column with positives and negatives for both, then see which scores the highest and which are red liens that you can't do without.

Soldato
As above, totally depends. If you are doing any sort of distance, trips for work or pleasure to random destinations, or touring, then the Tesla network cannot even be touched. Full stop. Having used it extensively I don't even know what you would do if you owned another EV.

But if you're just commuting to the same workplace, and don't plan on any sort of long distance travel, then your options open up. Having said that, 10% for a Tesla over a Kia, I still know where I'd be going. That Kia might be "top of the range", but in what ways is it better than the Tesla? The thing I loved about Tesla when I bought it is that there isn't a thousand options; you can pretty much order one in 5 clicks. So yes, it's the base model, but the base model is way above other base/middle models.

Soldato
Personally I would only choose a Tesla if I was doing enough daily miles (~200+) on a regular basis, to need to use public chargers. Nothing beats the convenience of the Supercharging Network.
On the other hand - there are better cars out there. The TM3 is a box on wheels. There is no interior and it’s not as refined as cars from manufacturers who know how to build cars.

Soldato
Probably use one of the many chargers that are situated all over the country...

And yet, they are slower, not as frequently distributed, fewer in quantity (extremely in some cases), more expensive, and supplied by a dozen different operators all requiring a different app/login/wallet etc. It's just not the same, at all.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Have Tesla now resolved their manufacturing issues? I got the impression that whilst their cars are very "clever", that their build quality is rather questionable, and have significantly higher number of issues that most (Tesla catching up on the years of experience that other brands have of making cars).

In comparison, doesn't Kia have a 7 year warranty and whilst their cars might be as dull as ditch-water, they are reliable and well put together.

Soldato
I'd get Tesla purely for the convenience of the supercharging network, if you ever plan on going anywhere further than 100 miles from home it'd make life a lot easier. You simply don't even need to think of worry about it, where as in any other brand you'll need to plan your journey a bit more and download a multitude of different apps to make charging work, not a massive deal to some people but perhaps but a hassle non the less and something i'd be very willing to pay a premium for myself.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Was going to say the interior plastics on the Kia poor, but then realised it was being compared to 00s Merc switchgear..

Soldato
1. They are completely different cars.
2. The M3 SR+ isn't specified very differently to the 'top model' Performance. I think it's missing heated rear seats. That's about the main difference, other than the dual-motor and battery.
3. The Kia will be much better built and has a warranty that is about as good as you'll get so on a private purchase, or a non-maintained lease, you'll be paying for repairs on the Tesla from 60,000 miles or 3 years whereas the Kia probably won't break in the first place.
4. The Kia has a servicing requirement every 10,000 miles. The Tesla has a recommendation to change the brake fluid and cabin pollen filter at 2 years. So over 40,000 miles the Kia will cost you £650 in servicing (the 40K coolant change is £350) and it will be off the road for 4 days vs. no real requirement in the Tesla.
5. There are Kia dealers in most biggish towns. Tesla workshops are pretty rare but then the Rangers in the vans are very good.
6. There is a huge 'scene' for the Model 3 so if modding or aftermarket things are of interest, then the Tesla is the way to go.
7. You cannot underestimate the convenience and speed of the SuperCharger network. It makes a huge difference if you're doing big mileages.
8. The boot on the M3 is massive but the entry is quite narrow and you can't take out the parcel shelf. The Kia has a much smaller boot but when you actually want to use it the hatch is very practical.
9. The range is a massive difference. The Kia will do 190 miles in the winter and still have 20% left at the charging stop. The Tesla will do 160-ish. In the summer the Kia will do 250 miles down to 20% battery from full and the SR+ about 200 miles from full to 20% left. You will just go 20% further in the Kia.
10. The marketing around Tesla has somehow created a brand that is both desirable and marmite. If you want one, you want one and you'll find the money somehow. They call it Tesla stretch. If you don't you probably really don't want one.
11. The Kia is just anonymous. It's a Kia. Some people define themselves by what they drive and if your colleague is one of those, they'll not be happy with the Kia.

Bottom line, they're both good but if your colleague is at all brand concious, just go with the M3. Only the true cogniscenti know to look for the spoiler and slight badge difference that separates the M3 Performance halo car from the M3 SR+ bread-and-butter car. And I actually prefer the aero wheels on the 'lesser' models.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom