Anybody here from Stoke on Trent who can smell the smell?

Soldato
Yes. We're in Newcastle near the Macro and thankfully can't small it here. I can regularly smell it at the hospital if I working there and around Westlands area when dropping little one off at nursery. Annoyingly we're looking to move to Westlands area but having second thoughts now.

Caporegime
Can’t be as bad as the old Blackwall tunnel smell when there was a sugar refinery and dog food factory there.

We also get an awful smell down this way when the french farmers start manuring their massive fields, and it wafts over the channel. The smell of pure horse ****

Soldato
Hanley is full of violent dustheads, street drinkers, beggers and other such vermin.

So it's got better then :D

I'm between Northwood Park and Forest park so out of Hanley town centre but you still get the same idiots spreading out through the outskirts, even had armed Police in my street (it's a big one) a few times over the years.

Caporegime
I blame it on the councils up and down the country charging extra for garden bin collections. Not everyone will stump up the extra cost, so it means more refuse lying around. Stafford is only just down the road from Stoke and our council have started charging, so we'll be next on the smelly towns list.
Would imagine it's food waste causing most of the stench.

We throw away 1/3 of all the food we buy in this country.

That's a staggering, mind-blowing amount of waste of perfectly good food.

We need to get that under control.

e: Sorry, this is GD. Has anyone suggested to the council that they could buy a few of Gwyneth's vag candles and dot them around the site?

Soldato
The smell is truly horrific when the wind is blowing it your way. I have a shop on Paris Avenue and we get customers from all over the country. Almost all from outside the area ask what the smell is - hydrogen sulphide. I’ve bought an air purifier for our house to help but honestly it’s not enough. I genuinely feel for those that live closer than us, it’s destroying their lives. I do t know how the travellers cope!

Man of Honour
It's in Newcastle, not Stoke. Bloody Londoners.

And the whole thread, including the OP and other people who live in Stoke-on-Trent, is explicitly referring to Stoke-on-Trent. Not Newcastle. Even if it is technically in Newcastle, it's Newcastle-under-Lyme. Which is near Stoke.

I've not even been to Stoke but I guess I can imagine what the smell would be like :D

Urban decay and waste. Sometimes decidedly fecal, depending on conditions and wind direction. Although that's Stoke, not Stoke. I'm in Stoke every day but I haven't been to Stoke for a few years. We use the name that way to confuse outsiders :)

Stoke naming weirdness explained, in case anyone cares:

Stoke-upon-Trent was a town. Over time, it and several nearby towns grew into each other. This mess of towns was declared to be a city, which was named Stoke-on-Trent. Each town continued to function semi-independently anyway, which is another mess. Anyway...the town/city region of Stoke-upon-Trent is hardly ever referred to by its full name. It's almost always just called Stoke. The city of Stoke-on-Trent quite often is referred to by its full name, but is also quite often just called Stoke. Including the parts that aren't Stoke (upon Trent) but are Stoke (on Trent). Also, just for added confusion of outsiders, the city centre of Stoke (on Trent) isn't Stoke (upon Trent). It's Hanley, which is a couple of miles away. There's only one train station in the city, which is of course not in the city centre. The city centre thats most recent claim to fame is that it was chosen as the location of a post-apocalypse film because the film-makers needed somewhere that looked like a city that had been abandoned and left to rot and Hanley fit the bill perfectly with almost no set dressing needed. And no, that's not hyperbole. The film is called "The Girl With All The Gifts". According to the wikipedia entry, "It deals with a dystopian future in which most of humanity is wiped out by a fungal infection." Which fits in nicely with the most common local comment about Stoke being a city of culture - the only culture around here is growing on the walls. Which is a bit harsh - the city does have two theatres.

"Stoke" comes from an Old English word meaning 'place', which is why it's (a) fairly common and (b) always part of a place name. It seems fitting to me that this charming city of culture is often just called "Place", as if it doesn't warrant an actual name.

Soldato
Although that's Stoke, not Stoke. I'm in Stoke every day but I haven't been to Stoke for a few years. We use the name that way to confuse outsiders :)

That we do. I've had more than a few people stop and ask for directions to Stoke town centre, and I always oblige by directing them to my neck of the woods, Stoke, even though it's obvious that they mean Hanley, the City Centre of Stoke -on-Trent.

Caporegime
I live in Silverdale and the smell can be nauseating on a good day, sometimes I can smell it at work in Tunstall which is a good few miles away, you often get a whiff of it passing Keele Services on the M6, it is afflicting huge parts of the local area.

Was anybody at the protest the other week? - I was - along with the local MP who in fairness has tried his best on the issue, even involving the P.M.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That we do. I've had more than a few people stop and ask for directions to Stoke town centre, and I always oblige by directing them to my neck of the woods, Stoke, even though it's obvious that they mean Hanley, the City Centre of Stoke -on-Trent.

I usually ask them what they mean. After all, they've come to Stoke-on-Trent. They're already suffering enough :)

Back
Top Bottom