BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Give it a few days, there's a firmware issue on the BT routers that tends to sort itself out. If it doesn't fix itself then post in https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibr...de-Smart-Hub-2-upload-throttling/td-p/2017349

@Destination I've been on FTTP a year now (900/110) and had this happen to me on all 4 firmware updates without fail. A drop to either 10Mb, 30Mb or 50Mb upload...however i'd say the moment you spot it, get onto the BT forums and ask a mod. It's a hard profile change that needs someone to manually intervene, it won't fix itself.

Twice I hadn't noticed the firmware update and i'd been stuck on 10Mb upload for a week the first time and over 2 weeks the second time.

Soldato
Still waiting for any news from Sky about FTTP. It's available to order now from BT, but nothing from other providers yet.

I've seen people on the street getting their fibre lines installed.

I'm considering just writing off the next 8 months of the Sky contract and installing BT tbh.

Seems that Sky don't even offer the 900 speed anywhere though?

Soldato
No they don't. Their internal capacity has been raised as a potential area for concern hence the higher speeds aren't offered.

Meh.

Seems like it's only 13.24 per month early termination charge for the Superfast package I'm on at the moment.

How much of a pain in the butt is it likely to be to order Infinity and get Sky cancelled without any interruption in service?

Caporegime
Just place the order as usual and let the gaining provider led process take its course - Sky will inform you that there are ETFs to pay and tell you what those are, and when you let the order progress you will get a final bill.

Caporegime
Openreah have finally done my FTTP install. :)

11256710450.png

Caporegime
Just place the order as usual and let the gaining provider led process take its course - Sky will inform you that there are ETFs to pay and tell you what those are, and when you let the order progress you will get a final bill.
If you received a price increase letter you can notify Sky that you're not accepting the price increase and give your notice to leave. Sky will waive any ETC's as long as you notify Sky within 28 days of the letter and change provider within 31 days of notifying them.

Soldato
Signed with Plusnet 2 months ago on a bog standard FTTC deal and now I can get FTTP to my house. What's the likelihood that I'll be able to cancel my contract without having to pay the remaining 16 months?

Soldato
Plusnet should allow you to upgrade to FTTP mid contract with no penalty. If you wanted to switch ISP then changes of avoiding the early termination fees are minimal.

Edit - Ignore the first bit, I didn't realise that Plusnet didn't offer FTTP.

Last edited:
Soldato
Signed with Plusnet 2 months ago on a bog standard FTTC deal and now I can get FTTP to my house. What's the likelihood that I'll be able to cancel my contract without having to pay the remaining 16 months?

I think Plusnet do FTTP but at lower speeds than BT can do, you may be best off going to a slightly quicker but still well priced FTTP plan with Plusnet.

Caporegime
Plusnet had an FTTP trial, never integrated it with their systems and then did nothing in terms of product launch. Same as their approach to IPv6.

Man of Honour
PlusNet don't do FTTCP so you're stuck. Maybe give them a call and see if they're willing to offer any goodwill.

Last edited:
Soldato
PlusNet don't do FTTP so you're stuck. Maybe give them a call and see if they're willing to offer any goodwill.

FTFY

They have zero obligation to let you out of the contract for free.

Assuming you want to go to BT or EE, you should try playing the ‘I’ll be joining another BT group business so there’s no loss to you’ card. If they say no, try escalating to the CEO and see what happens.

Other than that there isn’t much you can do other than getting your wallet out or waiting out the contract and hope plusnet launch it soon.

Back
Top Bottom