Trying to remove oven bulb cover

Soldato
Bump cover is the worst thing about our otherwise excellent oven.

I've never had a problem with mine, though I've only had to change the bulb out twice in the last ten years. They are awkward because there's usually a heating element around them that you don't want to damage. Bosch do make a tool you can buy from them just for taking the bulb covers off, but I find a rubber washing up glove gives plenty of grip. A small rubber strap wrench might work, but I don't think there's really enough room to get one in there.

I recently changed the bulbs on a Neff extractor fan, and it's basically impossible to do without bending the retaining clips to get them out. Then you have to bend the clips back to make them fit back into place, it's a very poor design. All while trying not to break some very, very thin glass discs that sit over the lights.

Soldato
I have the tool.
Out top oven is fine, as the bulb is right in the centre and easy to access, the main oven below that has the light at the far right corner, close to the wall, even with the tool in the 2 times i had to remove the bulb, on one occasional I simply couldn't.
It isn't even overtightened as it gets to a point when it just clicks into position, and feels like there should be some give or looseness within it, and then years later, its seized.

Soldato
Sitting here smiling at how small the wrench was when it came to me "I haven't checked mine for a few years"

Just had a look and it's a flat glass cover on left side -Just put screwdriver in the side and twist. phew :cool:

Soldato
I have the tool.
Out top oven is fine, as the bulb is right in the centre and easy to access, the main oven below that has the light at the far right corner, close to the wall, even with the tool in the 2 times i had to remove the bulb, on one occasional I simply couldn't.
It isn't even overtightened as it gets to a point when it just clicks into position, and feels like there should be some give or looseness within it, and then years later, its seized.
Off the basis of this thread informing me there were tools for this I found a tool to 3d print. Sadly because of the issue you mentioned with the bulb being in the back corner the tool didn't give me the purchase I needed so I modified it to be 3 times taller. Tested it this morning and it worked perfectly!
For the first time in 2 years I've got a working oven light! pw1huIJ.jpg

Soldato
Haha! Don't smoke, do bite nails and drink loads! Spent the last 2 hours chopping wood and filling from jerry cans, not going to look like a hand model!

Soldato
Off the basis of this thread informing me there were tools for this I found a tool to 3d print. Sadly because of the issue you mentioned with the bulb being in the back corner the tool didn't give me the purchase I needed so I modified it to be 3 times taller. Tested it this morning and it worked perfectly!

That is superb! The main problem with these light are really just getting a grip on the cover (hence the Bosch rubber cap tool and me recommending rubber gloves to get a grip). They always seem to be in an awkward place, and you can't seem to get a good hold on them. I have found they are much easier to remove when you've heated up the oven and let them cool down to being merely warm, and then they seem to come straight off.

The threads seem to be a very coarse double thread, so you have to be patient and careful to get the cover back on correctly and not give yourself a problem next time you have to get it off.

Soldato
OP
Well guys I saw a replacement glass cover plus removal tool on amazon for only £7.99 and almost bought but I preferred to be sure I'm getting the proper glass cover so ended up calling Bosch and ordered the cover, bulb and removal tool for £21. 3 to 4 working days to receive it. I asked him if it's safe to use the oven with the bulb exposed and he didn't recommend it. He also said the removal tool is only meant to work with the full glass cover in place in order to get a proper grip on it, so it might not work since part of mine broke away.

... break the actual bulb and extract that by unscrewing with long nose/needle pliers ,
which will then give good purchase to get a garden gloved thumb inside and unscrew the outer.

Yes I think I'm going to have to do that. Even if I can't remove the cover when the bulb is smashed out, at least I can use the oven again.

Soldato
OP

Good job!

Soldato
For the first time in 2 years I've got a working oven light!
That is excellent work - impressive :cool:

Regarding the removal tool - I'm not sure because it was a few years ago that I used it - but the ridge across the top can be used to get an wrench on it for leverage. I'm pretty sure that's what I ended up doing anyways.

Man of Honour
So glad I saw this post, I have the same issue with my Neff oven that I can't remove the cover from to get to the bulb.
I had no idea there was a tool, so I've just ordered that one which will hopefully work.
Same here, ordering one now after trying to remove my cover several times over the past... 5 years.

Soldato
OP
Well blow me down, but I've done it. :) I turned the oven off at the mains, put thick rubber gloves on, loosened the bulb as far it would go, held an old teatowel over the bulb and hit it a few times with a hammer. The bulb is tough, didn't break at all but impacts from the hammer caused the other part of the glass cover to fall to the oven floor. Then there was still a few bits in the socket and when I touched them, they also fell out. I then unscrewed the bulb and gently felt around the edge of the socket and it would seem there's no bits of glass left in it.

20210415-200807.jpg

20210415-200422.jpg

Soldato
I am so glad I have a Zanussi -never get these problems :cry:

Well done by the way - don't screw the new one in too tight and take it out and clean it every two months :D

Soldato
OP
I am so glad I have a Zanussi -never get these problems :cry:

Well done by the way - don't screw the new one in too tight and take it out and clean it every two months :D

I'm guessing it's easy removing the glass from Zanussi ovens?

Thanks, yeah, I'll do that and also the tool that's coming in the post with the new cover and bulb will be invaluable for future use if it ever gets a bit too tight. I don't see a screw thread as such in the socket, but there's a couple of small ridges embossed on the silver metal that I can see in the photo, I guess the glass threads to those.

Soldato
This literally just happened to us in our neff oven! Sheered off one day when the Mrs was cooking. I spent about ten minutes trying to unscrew it with gloves and a towel as it was sharp AF and not judging. Went out to the shed and came back with a hammer and screwdriver long and thin enough to get between the grill element. A few Taps and it broke fairly cleanly enough to be removed. Still got shards everywhere. What a poor design.

Soldato
Something like graphite powder in the threads would probably be a good idea in the threads to stop glass cover sticking in the future?

Soldato
I'm guessing it's easy removing the glass from Zanussi ovens?

Thanks, yeah, I'll do that and also the tool that's coming in the post with the new cover and bulb will be invaluable for future use if it ever gets a bit too tight. I don't see a screw thread as such in the socket, but there's a couple of small ridges embossed on the silver metal that I can see in the photo, I guess the glass threads to those.

It's flat glass -just clips in on 4 sprung clips. :)

PS I finally did take the glass out today -easy -it's now soaking in the bowl.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Something like graphite powder in the threads would probably be a good idea in the threads to stop glass cover sticking in the future?

Don't know, sounds like a good idea though.

It's flat glass -just clips in on 4 sprung clips. :)

PS I finally did take the glass out today -easy -it's now soaking in the bowl.

Nice, with clips that does sound much better.

My replacement glalss cover, bulb and removal tool arrived this morning. Screwed in no problem so there was obviously no old glass stuck in the threading. I didn't over tighten it but enough to stop it feeling wobbly. Bit annoyed at myself at paying just under £7 for a bulb. It's a Dr. Fischer 40w E14 SES, which would have cost less than £3 at toolstation. Oh well, still cheaper than calling an oven man out to fix it and all working now! :)

20210416-101359.jpg

Associate
You have gone through exactly the same as I have done. Glass was welded in with grease and I had to smash it with hammer and get a replacement cover. Worked fine and so far replacement bulbs have been done far more easily with the cover unscrewing fine.

Back
Top Bottom