Doom Eternal

Soldato
I'm still stuck on the red transformer at the end got so ****** off with I had to stop playing it .

Yep I agree, I had to drop the difficulty to the lowest setting after the 922nd time of dying. Whats even more discouraging is that after spending 20 minutes and every single bit of ammo in your armory you die with the boss still on full health.
The fact it has 4 or 5 different sections and that it also self heals every time it hits you and can only be hit during one of its many attack moves is frustrating as hell.

Great game overall however, Part 2 of the DLC just didn't hit the extremely high bar Eternal and Part 1 had set for me.

Man of Honour
Been playing this a bit, I guess about 2 hours in. I've gotta say, I can see what they are trying to do with the game mechanics, forcing you to switch weapons, do glory kills and chainsaws and stuff..... but the lack of ammo is really, really annoying to me. Now I'm sure some people will say I just need to "git gud" or I'm "missing the point" in terms of why ammo needs to be scarce to reinforce the gameplay. But it's just not as fun as Doom 2016 so far, in that you had glory kills and stuff but it felt like that was an option at my disposal, giving me as the player the freedom to decide when to use it, rather than this chainsaw thing that is an absolute necessity in Doom Eternal.

I've just got to the point where I can buy ammo upgrades, so I'm gonna spent every upgrade point on that I think.

Soldato
Been playing this a bit, I guess about 2 hours in. I've gotta say, I can see what they are trying to do with the game mechanics, forcing you to switch weapons, do glory kills and chainsaws and stuff..... but the lack of ammo is really, really annoying to me. Now I'm sure some people will say I just need to "git gud" or I'm "missing the point" in terms of why ammo needs to be scarce to reinforce the gameplay. But it's just not as fun as Doom 2016 so far, in that you had glory kills and stuff but it felt like that was an option at my disposal, giving me as the player the freedom to decide when to use it, rather than this chainsaw thing that is an absolute necessity in Doom Eternal.

I've just got to the point where I can buy ammo upgrades, so I'm gonna spent every upgrade point on that I think.

yeah I completely agree there. I also got bored of the endless platforming. Overall it felt too much of a departure from Doom 2016 rather than building upon it. Doom 2016 was one of the mos fun games I’d played it recent years, whilst Eternal has worked itself on to the pile of games that shall never be completed.

Man of Honour
yeah I completely agree there. I also got bored of the endless platforming. Overall it felt too much of a departure from Doom 2016 rather than building upon it. Doom 2016 was one of the mos fun games I’d played it recent years, whilst Eternal has worked itself on to the pile of games that shall never be completed.
Yep I played another 30mins last night after writing that and just got to an annoying platforming section above lava with the checkpoint miles back in a cave. Platformers have always been one of my least favourite genres.

Also some of the parkour sections are just contrived, it's almost like they have been put there for the sake of it and are just dull, telegraphed and linear.... have a good look around, look for the texture that means you can latch on to and climb a wall, use your double jump / dash abilities to get there.... yawn. It would be much more interesting if they were used as an optional alternative route for those that want to go off the beaten track a bit.

Man of Honour
Yep I played another 30mins last night after writing that and just got to an annoying platforming section above lava with the checkpoint miles back in a cave. Platformers have always been one of my least favourite genres.

Also some of the parkour sections are just contrived, it's almost like they have been put there for the sake of it and are just dull, telegraphed and linear.... have a good look around, look for the texture that means you can latch on to and climb a wall, use your double jump / dash abilities to get there.... yawn. It would be much more interesting if they were used as an optional alternative route for those that want to go off the beaten track a bit.

Yeah I lost all interest in the game for this reason. If people find that fun fine but give me an alternative route - I'd play Mirror's Edge if I wanted to jump around to that extent.

Man of Honour
Mirror's Edge was literally the game I was thinking of making a comparison to :) It's like they are taking a leaf out of 15+ year old game design, which would be fine if it was game design relating to the genre you are expecting - It's Doom - so I've no issue with limited storyline and lots of fast-paced pew-pew - but not recreating a linear platform experience

Soldato
I also missed the amount of “walk in to an area and can’t leave until all the enemies are dead” areas that Doom 2016 gave you - most of what I played in Eternal was a handful of enemies every 10 meters or so.

Man of Honour
I've seen a few of those, or at least you have to kill them all to progress.

On the plus side the Slayer Key arena thing is exactly the sort of thing I want, a reasonably challenging fight against lots of enemies, but also with a lot of item pickups scattered around so I'm not constantly running out of ammo.

edit: Oh and the engine seems good, runs about 120-240fps for me on a 2700x/1070ti system, it seems well optimised in terms of the load being spread well across 16 cpu threads, so the GPU is the bottleneck.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I lost all interest in the game for this reason. If people find that fun fine but give me an alternative route - I'd play Mirror's Edge if I wanted to jump around to that extent.

I actually enjoyed this more once i started cheating a bit and googling how to solve the puzzles quickly! Far quicker to get back to the running and killing.

Associate
TAG1 is really good. Step up in difficulty from the base game.

I didn't enjoy TAG2 as much, I think the final boss really disappointed me.

V F

V F

Soldato
Doom Eternal is really growing on me. Had 3 hours on it so far and now practising on the Slayer Gates on Ultra Violence for the first run. The demons are on crack in the Slayer Gates, I love it. Especially the armoured Hell Knights with the Blades. So cool. :D

Back
Top Bottom