Road Cycling

Soldato
So I’ve started using a wahoo tickr and to my surprise, I’m hovering around 170-180 bpm. This doesn’t feel right, I don’t feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest the whole ride and feel fairly fine after such efforts.

yesterday, it seemed fine until a third of the way through and my heart rate jumped up to 180 and stayed around there. Is there a calibration step I am missing by any chance?

Depends how hard you are trying ?

I'm 32 and 180bpm is hard, 190 I'll need a wee recovery and 202 is full send sprint finish.
Pretty similar, although I'm now 40 so a bit below. Generally racing between 170-180bpm. Top end of that used to blow me up but all the threshold work means I can recover even going slightly over the 180 now and sit around it for long-ish periods. End sprints still hitting towards and over 190 but utter blowout/finale only.

Will just keep an eye on it. It might come down as I get fitter (seriously unfit at the moment)
It will, but you might even find it goes higher! The riding you do and the type of it will can really determine what you consider your 'max' to be.

Fairly new to turbo riding I used to blow up at much over 175bpm when I was around 32/33. Several years later with good fitness and outside riding it was 180bpm with anything over 170bpm being pretty hard. Still the same now (like late last summer) when switching from lots of outside riding to inside. Then generally as I get conditioned to the threshold 'work' of TTT'ing and racing I find myself able to sit at those 'max' and just able to peak higher.

I was always told a healthy heart isn't one which goes high, or low, but one with a wide range that can quickly go up & down - a low resting HR is just a sign of your body being efficient. Some real Endurance athletes are known for having really low HR's, but you'll usually find the Pro cyclists that do, can still peak pretty high.

I mean, I'm sure I'm not giving anyone new information when I say your max HR should be 220 minus your age. I guess, what I don't know, is that the suggested max you should go to, or is it suggested your heart just can't go over that?! (roughly, of course) It's about right for me, 174 should be my max, I think I touched 178 in the 4DP test and I think that's the highest I've seen it while I've been cycling the last two years.
We've discussed it here before loads of times. I think (my opinion) generally is that it's an estimate for someone fairly 'new' to fitness to use as a rough figure for their max, until they've increased in fitness. Maybe even use it as a guideline, but once you get into using HR when training you'll really establish your own zones and how your HR 'operates'.

For my 220-40 = 180. That's not my max. I've seen 196bpm in the last 6 months. But 180bpm is really where things start to get pretty uncomfortable and if I push much over that I will at the point of not being able to recover it without totally stopping or at least easing off a huge amount. If I want to continue the effort, or put a bigger one in (sprint) then it's best I'm below 180bpm to be able to...

I do recall seeing over 200bpm once or twice in my early years of low fitness when I utterly destroyed myself doing intervals. There are times now I've made myself feel a bit 'off' from efforts for a while afterwards. But not too many times and not something I generally set out to do. My HR from these times is really no higher than other times I've sprinted and felt nothing untoward. I can go deep enough to make myself sick doing Zwift TTT's, that's 'hard' enough for me! :o

Been pestering my wife for ages for her to do me some nice custom cycling stuff so she's been investigating repair and painting of shoes over the last few months and after some practise has come up with these for me!

m0jSHnc.jpg

Few more pics on the instagram page too, can see the state of them before! If anyone is interested in having some done mention my username and she'll sort you out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNXx_yMBfS1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
They look awesome, she did a great job! Need a bunch of more before and after pics!

Think they're a bit far gone I'm afraid, she could probably do something but couldn't guarantee they'd last for any significant amount of time unfortunately. If it was just the leather that could be patched and repainted just fine, but the sole and rear are probably a bridge too far unfortunately. I'll ask her though.
Get her into fixing carbon... ;)

Soldato
They look awesome, she did a great job! Need a bunch of more before and after pics!

Thanks, Check out instagram there are loads of them on there.

@Lethal` she said the upper could be done and glue the sole back together but the fabric would only be a bad patch, she used to seamstress but due to the shape of that bit it's nigh on impossible to do with the shoe shape.

Soldato
Think they're a bit far gone I'm afraid, she could probably do something but couldn't guarantee they'd last for any significant amount of time unfortunately. If it was just the leather that could be patched and repainted just fine, but the sole and rear are probably a bridge too far unfortunately. I'll ask her though.
Yeah I figured. No worries! Just starting to get concerned I'll be out of any available shoes in near future :D

I think I'll have to nip into a bike shop with a fair range and try some more brands again or maybe even go for bike fit.

Soldato
Thanks, Check out instagram there are loads of them on there.
Yeah I meant if there was a close up of the toes of them afterwards. The before close up shows how bad then there's not really an after with a similar frontal to show the repair and cover.

Either way they look great! Some kinda stencils to get the lettering, or was that freehand?

There's a way you can print on 'transfer paper' with a standard inkjet printer, then iron them on to fabric. I imagine quite easy to use it for outlines to then use the fabric paints on for more hard wearing. I did a few tshirts with it many years ago and they came out quite well, although didn't wear well. But dedicated fabric paints do wear well and are waterproof, so easily use the inkjet for stencils to then paint around was always a plan of mine (that I never actually did).

Soldato
Yeah I meant if there was a close up of the toes of them afterwards. The before close up shows how bad then there's not really an after with a similar frontal to show the repair and cover.

Either way they look great! Some kinda stencils to get the lettering, or was that freehand?

There's a way you can print on 'transfer paper' with a standard inkjet printer, then iron them on to fabric. I imagine quite easy to use it for outlines to then use the fabric paints on for more hard wearing. I did a few tshirts with it many years ago and they came out quite well, although didn't wear well. But dedicated fabric paints do wear well and are waterproof, so easily use the inkjet for stencils to then paint around was always a plan of mine (that I never actually did).

@Roady https://i.imgur.com/T704Gbh.jpg bit bubbly, but it's an area she's been practising and has improved her technique. That and I was rushing to get them back as I needed them yesterday :D

Letters were freehand after some practicing, tried to match the RC7 font as much as possible.

Yeah she's got a Vinyl printer, but all of this was done either by pencil and greaseproof paper or freehand.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks @Roady i am 28 and have a 60bpm resting heart rate. Everything you have said makes sense for my HR.

In other news, my Giant frame warranty claim hasn’t stuck however, they will repair it for free. I have plans to put it permanently on a turbo trainer so nothing lost.

Soldato
I've had 3 or 4 slow punctures on my front over the last couple of months, so I've put a new tyre on (Old GP5000 had done 1,800 miles, which I didn't think was a lot for a tyre?) and have finally decided to use some tube sealant...

JoY5Qt8h.jpg

Thoughts?

My puncture issues of the past were almost all pinch flats, but I've pretty much eliminated these by keeping pressures high for every ride, but now I've been getting 'normal' flats, I guess caused by bits sticking into the tyre, so lets see if this helps.

Caporegime
Happy belated Birthday!

They look schweeeeeeeeeeet! Gotta love a matt black.
Cheers. Really happy with them so far, though I've done low mileage as I'm on a weights cycle at the moment. First outdoors ride tomorrow with them, and they do indeed seem to fit really well. Time will tell how comfortable they are on longer rides of course, eg I'm doing the 220mile Rapha ride in June - will see how they feel after that!

Soldato
Considering the Hunt 50 carbon aero disc myself but after talking to Hunt they have suggested the mix depth wheels, 40/50s due to where I ride.

Unsure if I like the look, but something for me to consider...

Soldato
Been a long time since I've had a really close pass with the roads being quiet and not commuting, but had some proper old doddery idiot pass me today on an NSL road about 5 mph faster than me, close enough and slow enough for me to see the bonnet creeping by my leg and being able to physically hit their wing mirror in fully. They definitely didn't have a clue how close they were as the drivers head didn't move as she passed or acknowledge I'd even knocked the wing mirror, but I could see they were ancient as they passed. Should not be on the road.

Soldato
Been a long time since I've had a really close pass with the roads being quiet and not commuting, but had some proper old doddery idiot pass me today on an NSL road about 5 mph faster than me, close enough and slow enough for me to see the bonnet creeping by my leg and being able to physically hit their wing mirror in fully. They definitely didn't have a clue how close they were as the drivers head didn't move as she passed or acknowledge I'd even knocked the wing mirror, but I could see they were ancient as they passed. Should not be on the road.

I think it was Northumbria Road Safety that got hammered on Twitter this week for a tweet advising motorcycles and bike riders to avoid busy roads as drivers might be "out of practice" with lockdown easing...

Associate
Really loving the versatility of a gravel bike.

although, I think i would be better served with a full on gravel bike and a dedicated road bike. N+1 is still strong at the moment!

Soldato
I'm really tempted by a Canyon Grail gravel bike. I would want it to take paniers too though, so apparently I would need to look into a Tailfin rack. It could then be my gravel/winter/commuter and I keep my Canyon Endurace for pure road stuff.

Associate
I'm really tempted by a Canyon Grail gravel bike. I would want it to take paniers too though, so apparently I would need to look into a Tailfin rack. It could then be my gravel/winter/commuter and I keep my Canyon Endurace for pure road stuff.

The carbon one with the hover bar would be the one I’d buy if money no object.

Soldato
I placed an order for the Grail a while back and ended up cancelling my order due to delay after delay after delay and shocking CS from Canyon

Ended up spending a bit more and getting the Stigmata instead. Also got a roadie wheelset for it and works fantastically well (for me) as a road bike and back in its natural habitat as a gravel bike

Back
Top Bottom