Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Just got my first PS5 disc version.

Is it normal to hear the PS5 fan spinning ? I mean it's quiet but I can hear it spinning round I was expecting a lot closer to silent.

Someone put my mind at rest please.

Soldato
Just got my first PS5 disc version.

Is it normal to hear the PS5 fan spinning ? I mean it's quiet but I can hear it spinning round I was expecting a lot closer to silent.

Someone put my mind at rest please.

I can hear mine if I’m very close to it but not when sat back. The disc drive is very noisy are you sure it’s not that you are hearing ?

Soldato
I can hear mine if I’m very close to it but not when sat back. The disc drive is very noisy are you sure it’s not that you are hearing ?

To be fair I am sat right next to it. It's on the desk next to my monitor.

But in the living room it's under the TV I'm sat back say 3 meters and I can still hear it but that's without a game running and speakers killing out sound.

Not tried the disc drive yet. Only download warzone.

I'm coming from the side of owning a Series X since launch and that's super silent can't hear anything.

Maybe I'm being to picky or was just expecting to much.

Soldato
To be fair I am sat right next to it. It's on the desk next to my monitor.

But in the living room it's under the TV I'm sat back say 3 meters and I can still hear it but that's without a game running and speakers killing out sound.

Not tried the disc drive yet. Only download warzone.

I'm coming from the side of owning a Series X since launch and that's super silent can't hear anything.

Maybe I'm being to picky or was just expecting to much.

Mine is pretty much silent without a game running and a slight hum when running games. I had a friends for a bit that had horrendous coil whine which was pretty loud and very noticeable. The Series X is silent even when gaming, Tbh I sometimes check to make sure the fan is spinning and it always surprises me how much hot air is being pushed out with almost no noise. MS did a superb job on design and thermals with SX.

Soldato
Picked up a PS5 the other day and have sold my PS4. I came here just to say that only ~660gb of useable storage is absolutely pathetic!!
That’s the one letdown that I can see with the machine. Can only assume it’s been done as a money maker, as they’ll no doubt sell larger drives down the line...

Soldato
That’s the one letdown that I can see with the machine. Can only assume it’s been done as a money maker, as they’ll no doubt sell larger drives down the line...
It's not that bad, could be like my Series S which is pitiful for storage

I've not run out of space on my ps5 yet :)

Soldato

More to do with trying to keep the cost of the machine inline with the competition.

Sony don't sell proprietary storage upgrades and nothing will be stopping us using 3rd party when it's unlocked.

Soldato
More to do with trying to keep the cost of the machine inline with the competition.

Sony don't sell proprietary storage upgrades and nothing will be stopping us using 3rd party when it's unlocked.
Yeah, you’re probably right. Hopefully the storage options aren’t ridiculously expensive.

Soldato
It’s only 825GB due to the 12 channel flash interface 825GB is the perfect amount to achieve the performance Sony wanted. Increasing beyond 12 channels sees huge cost increases. Then part of the drive is reserved for system use hence why you only get just over 600GB usable space. Once they unlock the M.2 slot it will be better but getting an SSD that matches the internal ones specs is not going to be cheap.

It would be nice if the M.2 was unlocked for any drive so you can use it for just PS4 games at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had the compressor out on Monday to give my PC a spring clean so decided to do Xbox "X" and PS5 as well . Very minimal dust from Xbox but PS5 had about 3x the amount of dust .

Just some useless information to put out :p

Caporegime
So, can someone tell me about voice comms purely using the DualSense controller? I've never been a fan of headphones throughout my gaming life, I've never even owned a pair. So I'm wondering if using the microphone/speaker on the DualSense is an acceptable way for communicating with others in game? Does the mic pick up background sound and/or the sound coming from the TV? If it's a bit crap, I might look into getting the Pulse headset as a very last resort.

Associate
So, can someone tell me about voice comms purely using the DualSense controller? I've never been a fan of headphones throughout my gaming life, I've never even owned a pair. So I'm wondering if using the microphone/speaker on the DualSense is an acceptable way for communicating with others in game? Does the mic pick up background sound and/or the sound coming from the TV? If it's a bit crap, I might look into getting the Pulse headset as a very last resort.

From my very limited use playing FIFA with a family member the other side of the country I couldn't be bothered setting up my wireless headphones and low and behold the controller had a built in mic and speaker for Comms. I genuinely did not spot this when buying the console. The speaker is ok and we had no issues with background noise and poor quality sound although the sound of the TV could be heard.

I would personally use my headset next time but if you don't have anything it's a good inclusion as it simply just works.

Also had my first crash, when on the console it had to do a database repair? Need to get into the habbit of shutting down the PS. I tend to just let it go to sleep.

Soldato
Also had my first crash, when on the console it had to do a database repair? Need to get into the habbit of shutting down the PS. I tend to just let it go to sleep.

Mine crashes loads when resuming from rest mode, or at least it did prior to the big update this week.

If I use the console daily it seems okay, but if it's set to rest for a couple of days something seems to happen, the pad flashes but won't boot the console and have to manually boot it which then usually does a database rebuild.

Here's hoping the update has sorted it. If not need to get serviced while in the warranty period but waiting for things to calm down with stock.

Associate
Mine crashes loads when resuming from rest mode, or at least it did prior to the big update this week.

If I use the console daily it seems okay, but if it's set to rest for a couple of days something seems to happen, the pad flashes but won't boot the console and have to manually boot it which then usually does a database rebuild.

Here's hoping the update has sorted it. If not need to get serviced while in the warranty period but waiting for things to calm down with stock.

Was left on over night and it's the first issue I've had. Hoping it's the last :D also as above I got a controller update.

V F

V F

Soldato
It’s only 825GB due to the 12 channel flash interface 825GB is the perfect amount to achieve the performance Sony wanted. Increasing beyond 12 channels sees huge cost increases. Then part of the drive is reserved for system use hence why you only get just over 600GB usable space. Once they unlock the M.2 slot it will be better but getting an SSD that matches the internal ones specs is not going to be cheap.

It would be nice if the M.2 was unlocked for any drive so you can use it for just PS4 games at the moment.

The sad thing is the majority of joes will fill that space and not realize you still need to keep a few 100GB free for the nand cells the rewrite from being old. Otherwise the drive will get slower and slower if they keep it fairly full.

Back
Top Bottom