LG is closing down its phone division

Soldato
Hardly surprising unfortunately, I can't remember the last time I met anyone who didn't have either a Samsung or an iPhone. There were a few Huaweis floating around for a while but people have dropped them since all the controversy involving their telephony/networking gear.

Shame to see them go, I liked my Nexus 4 back in the day. Sony will be next I imagine.

Soldato
Yep echo above, shame to see them go but just lost the plot with their releases. They were decent in the G2 and G3 era, pioneer of the ultra wide.

In the last few years they showed no real brand focus, long term support, had wayward pricing and specs and just altogether irrelevant given the competition.

They'll be forgotten and not missed, just like HTC.

Soldato
They started to go for weird gimmicks instead of polishing what they already had. Software support was poor compared to the competition as well.

I remember being excited for the LG Optimus G which looked very promising, and then that being the base for the Nexus 4. G4 then took a weird turn with the curved screen, G5 with add-ons, etc. Instead of keeping one line the main focus they tried throwing crazy ideas into the next big phone.

The Wing did interest me, but knowing there was a huge chance LG would highly likely not polish it with a successor, kept me away.

Soldato
Seems like there’s 3 types of phone now, an IPhone, a Galaxy or a generic Chinese jobbie. Don’t even see many Google phones showing up on here anymore.

Yep, and with oneplus not knowing which way is up I really fear for a decent stock android phone.

I've been impressed with Samsung recently though.

Soldato
Seems like there’s 3 types of phone now, an IPhone, a Galaxy or a generic Chinese jobbie. Don’t even see many Google phones showing up on here anymore.
Sadly this is what happens when you build your business on commodity software, you either have to be big enough to devour the competition or compete on price with razor thin margins. LG lacked any features that made their phones ‘sticky’ for consumers since you could just get the same experience elsewhere.

Associate
Only ever owned one LG phone: Nexus 5X.
Was a terribly engineered phone, it overheated and melted a whole in the back of the phone whilst I was gaming on it, the scar took weeks to heal.
Is the only phone I've ever owned which died die to shoddy design rather than me getting it trapped in a door.

Will not be missed besides just being another competitor to Samsung.

Capodecina
Soldato
I wonder how long this was known about in the industry.

I saw EE pushing their LG line for weeks before the announcement. Very naughty. Now I'm really glad I didn't get one since I was considering it.

Soldato
I wonder how long this was known about in the industry.

I saw EE pushing their LG line for weeks before the announcement. Very naughty. Now I'm really glad I didn't get one since I was considering it.

Why is that naughty? They still have stock to sell and LG will be required to continue supporting them in some way. The phones aren't going to immediately stop working or become obsolete.

Capodecina
Soldato
Why is that naughty? They still have stock to sell and LG will be required to continue supporting them in some way. The phones aren't going to immediately stop working or become obsolete.

Of course they want to shift their stock, but I'd feel rather cheated if I was pushed to get one only to find out it was because of that rather than it was a genuinely decent phone in its category.

Soldato
They were dead for a while with lackluster advertising. Samsung was bullying them at a point when they bought all current Snapdragon CPUs and lg had to go with older generation.

Soldato
Of course they want to shift their stock, but I'd feel rather cheated if I was pushed to get one only to find out it was because of that rather than it was a genuinely decent phone in its category.

That's just business though, and a good reason not to take recommendations from the company trying to sell you a product.

Capodecina
Soldato
That's just business though, and a good reason not to take recommendations from the company trying to sell you a product.

Indeed. They were trying to flog me an Oppo initially. Oppo might be fine for what it is [not sure], but the fact that they were pushing it so hard made me suspicious.

Soldato
OP
Them recommending you phones has nothing to do with recommending the best thing for you, just whatever the sales team are supposed to be pushing that day. There's generally bonuses for selling certain handset on a given day/week. Sometimes the sales reps from brands like Google will come down, give out some freebies and additional extra bonuses if they flog so many phones in a given period of time.

Speaking of companies pulling out the smartphone market, I only just realised HTC are still around! Thought most of the company was swallowed up by Google all those years ago.

Back
Top Bottom