Just gave blood again, do you?

Soldato
Turns out that plasma from people who have had Covid-19 has zero therapeutic value, so the trial was cancelled. But glad you are donating anyway.
Yeah they said that during the call. I signed up for that trial the day before they cancelled it which was funny, but was glad that they were pragmatic enough to use the plasma for general purposes anyway!

Commissario
They stopped doing platelets at the main donor centre which is 1.5miles from where I am, if I wanted to carry on doing them it would be a 210 mile round trip

so that's a bit of a drive!

It's a shame there are so few platelet centres but I guess the equipment isn't exactly portable. I'd either have to go to Cambridge or London to give them and due to the time taken, I'd have to take a day off each time which just isn't practical.

Soldato
It's a shame there are so few platelet centres but I guess the equipment isn't exactly portable. I'd either have to go to Cambridge or London to give them and due to the time taken, I'd have to take a day off each time which just isn't practical.
It's going to put some people off I'd imagine, but my office is based in Bristol, so I'll go donate first thing, then work the rest of the day from the office - That'll be a novelty anyway!

Soldato
I went for my plasma donation this morning.

Turned up, did all the questionnaires and blood tests and vein searches and so on, all went well. They stuck a needle in and began taking plasma and all seemed to be going well, but the machine was beeping a lot. A nurse came over and got me to squeeze a plastic toilet roll thing to try and increase flow, as apparently the machine wasn't happy with how much it was getting out. Another nurse came and tried to adjust the needle, but instantly caused a bruise, so had to abort the donation unfortunately. :(

They took maybe about 10ml of plasma (which they said they will use), but I can't try again for 4 weeks because they didn't flush me out or something. I'm going to try booking in again in 4 weeks and giving the other arm a go. I got a nurse to check the other arm at the time and she said it looked viable, so we'll wait and see.

I'm disappointed that I couldn't do more, but I've done what I can up to this point I suppose.

Soldato
Had another crack at plasma donation today, and it went a lot better. Process was quicker to get me hooked up, and using my other arm and with a seemingly much more experienced nurse, they managed to get a whole bag of plasma out of me. Really chuffed that I stuck with it and managed to donate a really worthwhile amount. Another appointment booked in for the 9th next month :)

Associate
I wish I could donate
O negative here, but I received blood in the 80s which disqualified me.

They had a loosening of rules lately, though I think it was mostly involving who you may or may not have had sex with recently. Maybe worth giving them a ring (although I do think transfusions after 1980 are unfortunately still off limits).

Associate
Whoops, I arrived to give blood today and it transpires if you had the vaccine within the past 7 days you can't! To be fair if I'd done a deep dive on the website I would've seen that but I think they should make that a little more prominent, I can't have been the only one.

Associate
I've done it twice and almost passed out both times - they told me if it happened a third time then i'd be off the list so still building up to trying again!

img

img

Associate
I've done it twice and almost passed out both times - they told me if it happened a third time then i'd be off the list so still building up to trying again!
Did you drink a lot of water through the day its important to be well hydrated

Man of Honour

That sucks. Well done for giving it a go though.

I have to say I've never felt faint or dizzy after but I carry a bit more bodymass than most so I suppose a pint of blood has less impact?

It's important to be very hydrated before you go. I hope you're able to continue to give blood, but well done for trying regardless.

Soldato
I've never actually done it, I would if I didn't have a phobia of needles, kinda struggling to get the vaccine because of it ):

I had a mate who was the same. I asked him if his fear of needles would stop him receiving blood in an emergency. Thinking about it that way got him to his first session. He's done about 8 now!

It really, really is far less scary than you think!

Associate
That sucks. Well done for giving it a go though.

I have to say I've never felt faint or dizzy after but I carry a bit more bodymass than most so I suppose a pint of blood has less impact?

It's important to be very hydrated before you go. I hope you're able to continue to give blood, but well done for trying regardless.

Yep, one of the times i went after the gym, which was really stupid! I will try again and next time i'll go armed with water and biscuits :)

Associate
Yep, one of the times i went after the gym, which was really stupid! I will try again and next time i'll go armed with water and biscuits :)

If you're a regular gym goer and your heart rate is low, your blood pressure is probably also "low" when you're sitting down. Donating a pint and getting up likely won't do you much good in that case, especially dehydrated!

Make sure you drink a lot! And listen to the nurses, I've never known them not to ask if you've done any exercise before donating, or if you've had enough to drink and eat!

Back
Top Bottom