Energy Suppliers

Soldato
You would have had contact from GNE, Offgem, and EDF it's Regulatory requirement.
In my instance; I had nothing whatsoever from any of those three. No emails or written correspondence. I would have been more than happy not to do anything and follow instruction, where it was given. It wasn't, so my cautionary side kicked in after the second month of payment post GNE going bust.

Anyways; EDF did finally contact me yesterday and I'm sure a new DD payment can be setup when requested.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Anyone here with Avro? They're coming up cheapest for me and the standard charge is good. Tempted to go with them this time.

Are smart meters better these days? Seems some of the cheaper tariffs are smart meter exclusives.

Caporegime
Time to move away from Octopus (sadly, as I liked there systems), as I can save £200 by going with someone else.

My options are Pure Planet, Avro, and Ovo.

Not much in it price-wise, so I guess if any do a decent referral bonus that would probably swing it.

Any current users of the above know if there are referral bonuses?

Soldato
Associate
Time to move away from Octopus (sadly, as I liked there systems), as I can save £200 by going with someone else.

Not much in it price-wise, so I guess if any do a decent referral bonus that would probably swing it.

pure planet do a £25 referral bonus. Trust me if you want one

Soldato

Been with Avro close to a year, moved to them from Bulb. Bare bones interface on the website with the usual monthly/yearly use etc. Statements are on time and accurate to meter readings, can't complain.

Will of course look to see what other deals are about when my 12 months end but would have no problems staying with them.

Soldato
Has anyone recently switched to Eon and gotten their first bill yet? Initially it said it was due 10th April but now after giving my last readings at start of April, it says first statement due July when I log in to the website (as the app just never appears to work anymore).

They were significantly the cheapest when I did my comparison in January but I'm starting to think I should've gone with someone else.

Soldato
Has anyone recently switched to Eon and gotten their first bill yet? Initially it said it was due 10th April but now after giving my last readings at start of April, it says first statement due July when I log in to the website (as the app just never appears to work anymore).

They were significantly the cheapest when I did my comparison in January but I'm starting to think I should've gone with someone else.

The first bill is almost always late the first 1-2 months as they have to wait for confirmation of your closing readings from your previous suppler. The due date of 10th April is probably the standard timing if you were a long standing customer.

What day did you actually switch on?

Soldato
The first bill is almost always late the first 1-2 months as they have to wait for confirmation of your closing readings from your previous suppler. The due date of 10th April is probably the standard timing if you were a long standing customer.

What day did you actually switch on?

16th January - they've already confirmed the closing readings as I've had the final bill from my last supplier and I can see the readings plus my additional ones on Eon - but they say "Not used for billing" next to them.

Caporegime

They require you to get a smart meter as part of the contract iirc.

Soldato
We already have smart meters (albeit SMETS1) from our last supplier - they wouldn't have processed the switch if it was an issue. I believe there's a delayed timeframe for upgrading these so they work with new suppliers.
Nope, smets1 meters can be upgraded to the current supplier but they cannot be transferred to a new supplier. You will need a new meter.

Soldato
Nope, smets1 meters can be upgraded to the current supplier but they cannot be transferred to a new supplier. You will need a new meter.

I'm afraid it looks like you're wrong. Lots people replying in this thread with irrelevant nonsense, not of which is answering my question of whether other people have had issues getting their first bill from Eon.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/...y-meters-ofgem/smart-meters-guide-your-rights

"The Data Communications Company (DCC) is responsible for the national infrastructure that enables communications between smart meters and all energy suppliers. First generation meters have started to be connected to the national infrastructure via a remote upgrade. This enables first generation meters to regain their smart functionality if it has been lost after switching and, over time, all suppliers will be able to operate them as smart meters."

Stories of people's meters regaining their smart functionality here even after switching supplier:

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-m...smets1-meter-has-been-migrated-to-smets2-8897

And from Eon themselves:

"If you've recently joined us from another supplier and have a first generation Smart meter, your smart meter might not work straight away but the industry is working hard to get these meters enrolled by 2022."

And even if we do need new meters - shrug, I don't care. The installation of the original ones took half an hour so they can just come and do them again. Pressing 9 on the meter every few months isn't a massive imposition in the time being.

Last edited:
Associate
We'll, I've just signed up to Igloo as they worked out cheapest. Still working out ~£150 a year more expensive than my old fixed tariff from British Gas, but a good bit cheaper than the tariff they were going to put me on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

I have smets1 meters. Moved into the house originally supplied by Eon, transferred to British Gas, then transferred to Octopus and the IHD originally provided by Eon provides me with my meter reading, Octopus tariff and usage...

Last edited:
Soldato
I have smets1 meters. Moved into the house originally supplied by Eon, transferred to British Gas, then transferred to Octopus and the IHD originally provided by Eon provides me with my meter reading, Octopus tariff and usage...

It depends on the make of meter and IHD, 99% of smets1 that are adopted to Smets2 will not work when you transfer to another supplier. The smets1 meter had to be adopted to Smets2 whilst you were with the original provider that Installed the meter. No one else can adopt a meter into Smets2.

You must be one of the lucky few.

Back
Top Bottom