Running two Xbox's on one account?

Associate
We have an Xbox downstairs and I'm making a gaming / chillout room for my son (and me :D) upstairs.

Ideally I'd like to keep the Xbox downstairs and get a new one upstairs.

Is it possible to use both under my one account? and if so, will purchased games / saved games / in-game purchases move between them?

Assuming that we only use one at a time, so either the downstairs one or the upstairs one; not both at the same time.

I've seen stuff about setting a home Xbox, which suggests that games etc would work but not in-game purchases. But that seems to be based on wanting to use them both at the same time.

Does anyone have experience of this? Doesn't seem unreasonable to have two machines in a household?

Cheers,

Mike

Associate
Not sure about the xbox but PS4/5 lets you use same account across multiple consoles but obviously only 1 at a time (for anything that is online). Would think xbox will be same.

Associate
Me and my son share my Xbox Ult. If I remember correctly I have my account and his account on my Series X and he has his and my account on my old One X. My Xbox is set as his Home Xbox and the his Xbox is set to my Home Xbox. Then we share my Live Ult and digital games.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it’s workable, I may pick one up and give it a go.

It would be cool if we could play together, but priority is for him to be able to play his games in either room.

Man of Honour
If you are using the same account on both xboxes and one Xbox at a time then it all works perfectly.

Saves get synced between the consoles, with the only caveat being that there are a few quirks with quick resume. Worst case scenario it closes a quick resume game to sync a save.

Soldato
As Kreee states, it works absolutely fine and syncs saves between the two.

If you try to use the same account on two xboxes at the same, you will get a prompt on the second one. You could set up an account for your son and share your account's privileges with him, allowing you to both digitally owned games (or game pass games) at the same time. The Mrs & I do this all the time, and saves us buying two copies of the same game.

Soldato
Both consoles cannot use one account at the same time. One console will be set as your "home" console. This console has access to your subscriptions and purchases, regardless of who signs in. On the second console, only your account gets access to your subscriptions and purchases.

So you need a second account, and will use that account on the main account's "home" console when you want to play together. On the second console, only ever use the main account. On the "home" console, it doesn't matter which account you use.

Man of Honour
Both consoles cannot use one account at the same time. One console will be set as your "home" console. This console has access to your subscriptions and purchases, regardless of who signs in. On the second console, only your account gets access to your subscriptions and purchases.

So you need a second account, and will use that account on the main account's "home" console when you want to play together. On the second console, only ever use the main account. On the "home" console, it doesn't matter which account you use.

He is not planning on using one account simultaneously on two Xboxes.

Soldato
We have an Xbox downstairs and I'm making a gaming / chillout room for my son (and me :D) upstairs.

Ideally I'd like to keep the Xbox downstairs and get a new one upstairs.

Is it possible to use both under my one account? and if so, will purchased games / saved games / in-game purchases move between them?

Assuming that we only use one at a time, so either the downstairs one or the upstairs one; not both at the same time.

I've seen stuff about setting a home Xbox, which suggests that games etc would work but not in-game purchases. But that seems to be based on wanting to use them both at the same time.

Does anyone have experience of this? Doesn't seem unreasonable to have two machines in a household?

Cheers,

Mike

Works fine Mike, I do exactly the same. One XBOX in the living room and one in the home office using my account but just logged into one at a time

If you do want to use them at the same time, then you'll need an additional free microsoft account for your son. I do this with my daughter so she can play Roblox and Minecraft on the living room one when I'm in the office playing COD. The living room one is assigned as my home XBOX

Associate
OP
Works fine Mike, I do exactly the same. One XBOX in the living room and one in the home office using my account but just logged into one at a time

If you do want to use them at the same time, then you'll need an additional free microsoft account for your son. I do this with my daughter so she can play Roblox and Minecraft on the living room one when I'm in the office playing COD. The living room one is assigned as my home XBOX

Perfect, thanks.
Time to find an Xbox one and to resist buying a Xbox x!

Caporegime
So I share Ultimate with my son and I'm having a few quirks I need to work out.

Upstairs console, I have set this to my sons home console
Downstairs is set to me.

I can play online downstairs at the same time he plays upstairs. I had already started playing upstairs and he went to play downstairs and it didn't work, it wanted to log me out for upstairs. Most of the time one of us plays on the upstairs console but is the only working option if we both want to play for me to use the downstairs one?

I'm half tempted to get him a 3 year ultimate account to be done with it, so if I'm in a long game he can just log onto the other console whenever he wants.

Second issue is when he uses the upstairs console(set as his profile home) I have to be logged into that console as well for him to use my ultimate. So if he's playing overwatch people on my FL see me playing overwatch. Is there anyway around this other than making my profile appear offline every time he plays?

Soldato
So I share Ultimate with my son and I'm having a few quirks I need to work out.

Upstairs console, I have set this to my sons home console
Downstairs is set to me.

I can play online downstairs at the same time he plays upstairs. I had already started playing upstairs and he went to play downstairs and it didn't work, it wanted to log me out for upstairs. Most of the time one of us plays on the upstairs console but is the only working option if we both want to play for me to use the downstairs one?

I'm half tempted to get him a 3 year ultimate account to be done with it, so if I'm in a long game he can just log onto the other console whenever he wants.

Second issue is when he uses the upstairs console(set as his profile home) I have to be logged into that console as well for him to use my ultimate. So if he's playing overwatch people on my FL see me playing overwatch. Is there anyway around this other than making my profile appear offline every time he plays?

Are you both trying to log into the same account at the same time?

Caporegime
The opposite. Your son needs to always be on your home console.

Right, so that doesn't make sense then. He was using the console down stairs which is my home console, he was logged in using his GT.

I was using upstairs (his home console) logged in on mine, but he couldn't play online without it wanting to log me off upstairs. I will double check the settings tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom