Extension Quote

Soldato
I agree, I'm looking at about £1600/m2 for a single storey shell (groundworks, walls, windows, doors and roof) at a fairly big scale (> 40sqm) in Surrey.

Soldato
£50 doors on a £96k extension quote... That's just bizarre...

At that price, size etc - I would be asking for copies/viewing of all his relevant business insurance, PI cover etc etc - Agree - the no VAT thing seem very very odd. Is he Ltd company? Sole Trader?

Are all the works completed by his company or does he sub contract etc? This is important for me as I want, and would be willing, to pay more for a single company doing the work rather than loads of different individuals doing bits of a job. If something goes wrong with it then you end up chasing random individuals for stuff.

Is he on rated people or any of those other sites - Whilst online reviews aren't to be totally believed some times - it's worth checking out also.

You need more quotes for sure - Sounds like a big job so I would be getting 3 or 4 quotes where possible. Also make sure you pick out things like doors/bathroom stuff etc - Otherwise you'll end up with the cheapest stuff possible after spending 100k....

Associate
On the face of it i'd say that quote is very expensive (£5k for Rockwool?), but a 6 steel job isn't a typical run of the mill extension that's easier to price so he may have just tried to work it in & not given you a proper breakdown.
If your planning a loft extension i'd definitely get it built as a warm roof now - their quote specifically says not a warm roof.

Soldato
Lol, I was going to say the same thing in my reply above, but on closer reading the £3k is for "finish floor' (the section below). Windows / Doors is £2.7k (£1500 + 2@£600) - just badly / confusingly worded and laid out
not to self dont read forums at 1 in the morning when you are tired :p

Back
Top Bottom