The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
Cheers @dl8860
I'm a bit worried that as the stone will be so hot, you'll get a very crispy base before the top cooks fully. I'm not expecting the awesome charring etc that you'd get from a proper pizza oven, but hopefully it'll do a decent enough job.
I guess you have all vent open, and have it as hot as it can get internally!

Associate
Whatever you use, sprinkle it with some semolina before putting the pizza on it. This will allow it to slide easier.

:cry::cry::cry:

What's funny about that? Its a fairly common tip given on this thread and various other places I have researched for pizza making tips. Seems to have worked fine for me so far. Unless you have an alternative suggestion I would be keen to hear it.

Soldato
What's funny about that? Its a fairly common tip given on this thread and various other places I have researched for pizza making tips. Seems to have worked fine for me so far. Unless you have an alternative suggestion I would be keen to hear it.

The fact you posted it 3 times before
:cry:

Soldato
Cheers @dl8860
I'm a bit worried that as the stone will be so hot, you'll get a very crispy base before the top cooks fully. I'm not expecting the awesome charring etc that you'd get from a proper pizza oven, but hopefully it'll do a decent enough job.
I guess you have all vent open, and have it as hot as it can get internally!
I do mine on a kamado, which will reach 800F no problem if I load it with some good charcoal and give it all it's got. I'm not sure if a kettle is normally expected to be able to reach that, you might need a leaf blower or a hair dryer for some enchanced air flow!? I think 500F is an acceptable temp for pizza cooking, not optimal for neapolitan but I think you could turn out decent pizza.

Anyway the key with the pizza stone is, you don't want direct heat beneath it. In the kamado setup you have it sat nice and high, on top of your heat deflectors with 3 spacers (anything metallic will do) to create a ~2 inch air gap. So yeah it is all about having a very hot environment that the stone is in, rather than just a very hot stone. I would have thought you might be able to recreate something in the kettle, bit of a challenge but worth a crack I reckon.

My brother has recently bought a kettle so let me know if you do have any success and I can pass him some tips!

Soldato
My favourite pizza ever.

62% dough, 2% fat(rapeseed oil), 44hour cold prove, 5 hours room temp.
KFC gravy instead of tomato sauce, mozzarella and KFC chicken. It was perfect for me.

ZU9aYF4.jpg

RbX4A8j.jpg

Not to mention dipping the crust in Aldi's garlic and herb dip, was heaven.

Soldato
does seem disrespectful to the uuni putting kfc inside. but dough looks good ....
you saw the fly on the wall series about the KFC gravy they had the lady who had made her career in kfc designing it ...
but OK I sometimes put corned beef on pizza.

Soldato
Having tried an overnight prove after many successful pizzas with the Ooni standard recipe, it’s all about the longer time for the flavour to mature. Try it if you haven’t already!

Soldato
Got my koda 16 arriving next week, excited!

What are the best peels for this? Is it worth shelling out for the Ooni branded ones? I think I want a perforated but they only do those in 14 not 16 inch, and I think it makes sense to get a turning peel too....any "known" good cheaper alternatives?

Soldato

What are the best peels for this? Is it worth shelling out for the Ooni branded ones? I think I want a perforated but they only do those in 14 not 16 inch, and I think it makes sense to get a turning peel too....any "known" good cheaper alternatives?

It's just a slab of metal with a handle. I got a cheap one from Amazon. Works fine. Ooni branded one is a ****-take.

I just turn with the main peel, pull it out far enough to be able to just grab a bit of crust and spin it a little and slide it back in, works fine.

Soldato
does seem disrespectful to the uuni putting kfc inside. but dough looks good ....
you saw the fly on the wall series about the KFC gravy they had the lady who had made her career in kfc designing it ...
but OK I sometimes put corned beef on pizza.
How is it disrespectful? It's a pizza oven, why do some people insist there are some hard rules you have to stick by when making pizzas. I try anything and everything.
I think it's boring to make only traditional Neapolitan pizza.
Regards KFC gravy that documentary didn't surprise me, it's basically how you make good home made gravy anyway isn't it all the burnt bits from roasting the meat.

Associate

https://alphin.co.uk/product-category/pizza-accessories/pizza-pan-accessories/

Wooden to launch, metal to turn/recover. I don't have a turning peel, just take it out and spin it on the peel with my fingers and whack it back in.

Associate
Used the oven not the koda today because it’s ******* it down outside
7-A56734-D-E80-C-45-A4-9-FB0-649-D217-B888-F.jpg

Soldato
It's just a slab of metal with a handle. I got a cheap one from Amazon. Works fine. Ooni branded one is a ****-take.

I just turn with the main peel, pull it out far enough to be able to just grab a bit of crust and spin it a little and slide it back in, works fine.

I can't find a perforated 14 inch plus one from anyone but ooni :(

Back
Top Bottom