GE66 Raider

Soldato
Yeah it's super handy and folds away so it doesn't take up hardly any room.

In other news I recently flashed the 140W GE76 3070 vBIOS to the 3070 in my GE66 and am now hitting some crazy scores on Timespy :) Temps have barely risen at all (1-2 degrees at most) and during the Timespy run below the GPU never got over 60 degrees!

SjREDRA.png

Thats a decent score. How much have you overlocked the GPU core and memory by?

Soldato
Took me all of 5 minutes. I followed this guide which although for an old GPU is still applicable to the 3070 - https://www.overclock.net/threads/easy-nvflash-guide-with-pictures-for-gtx-970-980.1523391/

Link to download nvflash - https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/

Here's a link to the vBIOS I flashed - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/229426/229426

Obviously if you go ahead put a copy of nvflash and your existing vBIOS onto a USB stick just in case. Here's the original 3070 130W vBIOS - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/229448/229448

The GE76 uses the same power brick as the GE66 so power supply shouldn't be an issue and like I said in my previous post the temps are still really low.

Cheers, might give it a go later, my stand just arrived, very good recomendation especially for the money, out interest has anyone found the original power brick for sale anywhere? I wouldnt mind getting one for the office so I dont have to pack the other one away everytime I go in. Just went to switch my laptop on and it was dead, i'm sure it was fully charged when I last used it but in all honesty was a few weeks ago if not longer bit odd?

Soldato
Took me all of 5 minutes. I followed this guide which although for an old GPU is still applicable to the 3070 - https://www.overclock.net/threads/easy-nvflash-guide-with-pictures-for-gtx-970-980.1523391/

Link to download nvflash - https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/

Here's a link to the vBIOS I flashed - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/229426/229426

Obviously if you go ahead put a copy of nvflash and your existing vBIOS onto a USB stick just in case. Here's the original 3070 130W vBIOS - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/229448/229448

The GE76 uses the same power brick as the GE66 so power supply shouldn't be an issue and like I said in my previous post the temps are still really low.

I flashed my Legion RTX-2060 from 85W to 115W, which was obviously worth it, but I don't think I'll bother with the GE66. It tops out at 125W (130W if the CPU isn't pulling too much), but I'll compare my Timespy with yours.

Soldato
Just got this bad boy and I'm very impressed!

Spent a couple of days seeing what it can do and what can be tweaked:

1) Advanced BIOS can be entered by entering BIOS as normal (mash Insert key), then holding right CTRL, right SHIFT, left ALT and F2. This enables CPU voltage unlocking, but that's all I've done.

2) Intel XTU doesn't work for me, so I played with Throttlestop. Long story short, I found no (major) benefit from undervolting, just instability.

3) CPU, like in most laptops, is massively thermally-limited. Undervolting adds a TINY bit of headroom, but I can't be bothered playing to find the stable point.

4) GPU has LOADS of thermal headroom. It's power-limited, which is why flashing to the 140W vBIOS might be worth it, but I think I'm happy to leave it as the factory 130W.

5) Factory thermal paste is pretty decent. LOADS of additional MOSFETS and power circuits are also attached to the heatpipe. I had to open it up to add another SSD, so I repasted using some decent stuff (I forget the name). This only netted me 5'C at most on the GPU and added an extra 100 MHz to the CPU before it throttled. Core temps are a little more even now (max differential 8'C with my paste vs. 12'C with the factory).

6) I can't comment on the screen or keyboard as I basically use it closed attached to an external monitor.

7) GPU overclocking - the memory is INSANE. I can easily go to the limit in MSI Afterburner (+1500 Mhz). The core, as already mentioned, is power-limited, and pretty close to the edge already. It seems +200 Mhz is about the sweet spot, but I haven't tested stability extensively yet. Custom curve probably not worth it, since it's power-limited, not thermal. UPDATE - Custom curve is best because at low voltages, the GPU can easily cope with +200 Mhz, but at higher voltages, the GPU will spike sometimes to 2100 Mhz and then crash (never in benchmarks because the GPU is so loaded that it stays at low voltages, but in games, the power limit sometimes lets the voltage, hence clock, go too high). I've found that using CTRL to drag the curve up at the low end is probably best. e.g. default clock at 700 mV is around 1290 MHz, so using CTRL to drag that up to 1500 MHz gives a nice result without insane clock speeds at higher voltages.

8) GPU power tops out at 130 W if the CPU isn't pulling too much. Once the CPU kicks in, the system seems to prioritise the GPU, lowering it only to 125W but further limiting the CPU power to maintain temperatures / total power. e.g. in Throttlestop, limiting the total CPU power to 40W keeps the GPU at 130W. Any higher and the GPU backs down a little to 125W.

9) Case / build quality. I MUCH prefer the Legion for styling - I'm not into the plastic / LEDs on the MSI. But I'm not bothered because I just want pure performace.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with it! I would much prefer the Legion, but I don't want to wait 6 weeks+ for it.

EDIT - On userbenchmark, I'm the second fastest 3070 in this laptop and 23rd fastest of all! (Including 3080s!)

EDIT 2 - Updated details on clocking the core after stability issues in games.

Last edited:
Associate
Thats a decent score. How much have you overlocked the GPU core and memory by?

+100 core and +400 memory, sure I could go a bit higher as the temps were still super cool on the GPU (under 60 degrees) but tbh I'm happy with where it's at now.

Jimbo Mahoney - Be careful not to update your BIOS to the latest version available atm as I've read numerous reports that it locks out the advanced BIOS. Also have you tried using Throttlestop to limit the max turbo ratios for your CPU cores? I've set all mine to 37 on a separate gaming profile and as a result the CPU maxes out at 3,700Mhz but on the flipside the CPU never gets higher than 75 now and all for just a marginal loss in fps when gaming. It also seems to me that it keeps the max frequency much more often than it does when it's not locked and can max out at 4,100Mhz. I think it also helps keep the CPU at the max 140W for a greater percentage of the time.

Bradmax57 - I haven't been able to find one to purchase online yet, but on the MSILaptop sub-reddit some people have been saying to speak to MSI directly would be your best bet on getting your hands on one atm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Jimbo Mahoney - Be careful not to update your BIOS to the latest version available atm as I've read numerous reports that it locks out the advanced BIOS. Also have you tried using Throttlestop to limit the max turbo ratios for your CPU cores? I've set all mine to 37 on a separate gaming profile and as a result the CPU maxes out at 3,700Mhz but on the flipside the CPU never gets higher than 75 now and all for just a marginal loss in fps when gaming. It also seems to me that it keeps the max frequency much more often than it does when it's not locked and can max out at 4,100Mhz. I think it also helps keep the CPU at the max 140W for a greater percentage of the time.

Re: BIOS - thanks!
Re: Throttlestop - yes, I've played with everything and determined that it's not worth changing anything, unless you can be bothered to go through changing settings and testing for stability. (And I mean I've tried everything - power limits, core multipliers, undervolting). I don't care about the CPU temperature - they are designed to handle 100 'C. I just want maximum performance from both CPU, but primarily GPU.

Here's my Timespy with the standard vBIOS:

ezGfndl.png

Settings:

1) Gysnc disabled and Prefer Maximum Performance in nVidia (no other changes).
2) MSI Fan Profile on MAX / Insane / Dyson setting :D
3) MSI Afterburner to clock the memory to +1500 MHz (as displayed in AB or 2125 MHz in GPUZ) and core to +200 MHz.
4) Repaste of heatpipes as mentioned, but this doesn't give much and I wouldn't recommend except for those who are opening their laptop anyway or who want to push limits. Gave me about an extra 100 Mhz on CPU and about 5'C drop on GPU.

No other changes - no Throttlestop etc.

Settings from the factory give me:

10609 Total / 10809 Graphics / 9606 CPU

Associate
Oof, that's good, I wonder if you can hit 12k graphics score if you had the 140W vBIOS. I may be tempted to give Timespy a run with those crazy overclocks you've used just to see what I can get and sate my curiosity :)

What do you mean when you say you disabled G-Sync btw? I was sure the GE66 didn't come with G-Sync?

Soldato
Also have you tried using Throttlestop to limit the max turbo ratios for your CPU cores? I've set all mine to 37 on a separate gaming profile and as a result the CPU maxes out at 3,700Mhz but on the flipside the CPU never gets higher than 75 now and all for just a marginal loss in fps when gaming. It also seems to me that it keeps the max frequency much more often than it does when it's not locked and can max out at 4,100Mhz. I think it also helps keep the CPU at the max 140W for a greater percentage of the time.

I tried Throttlestop again, but luckily Timespy confirms my suspicions - there is almost zero benefit (on this laptop) from playing with the settings (e.g. clock / power limits or undervolting).

The author (of TS) recommends limiting the power, rather than the clock speeds, as this allows the CPU to determine the best settings with the power available to it.

Having proven that limiting the CPU power to 40W unlocks the full power of the GPU (well, an extra 5W!), I ran a series of benchmarks:

40 W limit = 10916 (-5%)
50 W limit = 11120 (-3.4%)
60 W limit = 11277 (-2%)
No power limit + 50 mV undervolt on core & cache = 11595 (+ 0.8%)

In all cases, GPU score was +/- 0.5%

So that's definitely the end of my experiments with TS / CPU tweaks!

Soldato
One concerning thing about this laptop is the SSD temps...

In Rig 2 (Legion), the WD 730 NVMe idles at a reasonable 45'C, even when the GPU is at full load.

However, in this one, both drives (the supplied identical WD 730 NVMe and the WD SN750 NVMe that I've installed idle at 75'C! :o

This is (admittedly) at full GPU load, but the GPU is 67 'C and the CPU is 61 'C.

Further, this is using the "Balanced" profile in MSI Dragon Centre (what I consider to be a "medium" level of fan noise) and with the laptop raised by at least an inch at the back to get airflow and having repasted the heatpipes to ensure everything has good contact (GPU temps reduced by 5'C and CPU limit increased by 100 MHz due to better thermals - also max differential between cores reduced from 15'C to 9'C).

I expect SSDs to run hotter in laptops, but over 70'C when the drives are idle seems excessive!

If I blast the fans onto DYSON mode ("Cooler Boost"), the temps are as follows:

GPU = 53 'C (full load)
CPU = 42'C (idle)
SSD1 = 64'C (idle)
SSD2 = 66'C (idle)

What's everyone else seeing?

Associate
Checked my two SSD temps whilst playing the Division 2 which is a pretty demanding game, the pre-installed Samsung SSD was around 45-47 degrees, whilst the 2nd SSD which I installed myself was around 35-38 degrees. Not sure what's going on with yours, hope you can get to the bottom of it.

This was using the extreme performance mode so no cooler booster running. My CPU was around 70 degrees and my GPU was 65 degrees.

Last edited:
Soldato
Checked my two SSD temps whilst playing the Division 2 which is pretty demanding game, the pre-installed Samsung SSD was around 45-47 degrees, whilst the 2nd SSD which I installed myself was around 35-38 degrees. Not sure what's going on with yours, hope you can get to the bottom of it.

This was using the extreme performance mode so no cooler booster running. My CPU was around 70 degrees and my GPU was 65 degrees.

Thanks - that's an interesting data point...

I guess I better crack it open again and see if the drives are really that hot, or if it's just a funky reading or something.

Associate
Thanks - that's an interesting data point...

I guess I better crack it open again and see if the drives are really that hot, or if it's just a funky reading or something.

The temps I posted were for the flash memory, HWinfo also shows a drive temperature 2 for one of the drives (the samsung one), this I believe is for the memory controller and that temp reading is normally around 50 degrees at idle and can max out at 65 or thereabouts. However after doing some reading up that is a perfectly normal temp for the controller.

Soldato
OK, well I happen to have a FLIR, which comes in handy from time to time!

yqZQ23f.jpg

I'd say the heat is coming from both the nearby GPU heatpipes and whatever that chip in the centre is!

Both SSDs are getting hit pretty bad from both...

Looking at it, I don't think there's anything I can do, as I'm not keen on sticking a heatsink to that chip as there's no way for me to secure it and I'm loathed to stick something on and have it fall off and short something, or not be able to remove it if needed.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, wonder what that chip could be?

Where are you getting your SSD drive temps from btw, HWinfo? Maybe it's reporting the controller temps which are normally quite a bit higher than the flash memory?

Soldato
Hmm, wonder what that chip could be?

Where are you getting your SSD drive temps from btw, HWinfo? Maybe it's reporting the controller temps which are normally quite a bit higher than the flash memory?

Google reckons it's the PCH (Platform Control Hub).

Re: SSD temps - both HWInfo and WD's own software. Each only reports one temp for each drive.

Back
Top Bottom