Should I adopt an 11 yr old cat?

Soldato
Seriously, 11 isn't really that old for a cat. We've had quite a few reach 18 and one even made 22. My current cat George is 17 and he's a little arthritic now, but he's still going strong. Definitely go for it.

Soldato
my mum had about 7 when I lived with her so I'm almost an expert.

7 cats ***** we got an expert here, everyone stop reciting your own experiences.

Seriously, 11 isn't really that old for a cat. We've had quite a few reach 18 and one even made 22. My current cat George is 17 and he's a little arthritic now, but he's still going strong. Definitely go for it.

This, we had a cat live until its early/mid 20s.

Associate
My cat (lived to 18) was still very active until 16 or so when he got arthritis, and even then he would occasionally still go wild for his wand toy. Have to play when they want to though and not when you want to, which may be a thing to consider with young children.

Soldato
you guys all dreaming 11 for a cat is ancient, my mum had about 7 when I lived with her so I'm almost an expert.

an 11year old is just going to sleep and sleep and sleep, and nip your kids or wack your kids whenever they try to play with it, because it's old and it doesn't want ther bother.

get some kittens damn it give your kids some good kitten memories, they won;t be young forever make them love animals before it's too late bring on the kittens
Chatting rubbish again

Transmission breaker
Don
you guys all dreaming 11 for a cat is ancient, my mum had about 7 when I lived with her so I'm almost an expert.

an 11year old is just going to sleep and sleep and sleep, and nip your kids or wack your kids whenever they try to play with it, because it's old and it doesn't want ther bother.

get some kittens damn it give your kids some good kitten memories, they won;t be young forever make them love animals before it's too late bring on the kittens

Ok, so domestic cats can, and do, last up to 20 years, and more in rare cases. However this is dependant on so many things. However, 11 years may only be just over half its life-span! It is also conceivable that your understanding comes from a skewed experience. A larger group of cats means more conflict, anxiety, social groups, and sharing/competing for resources. This will likely age cats significantly faster than a single/dual cat household.

Cats generally sleep for more than half the day at any age. They also generally (in my experience) become a lot more affectionate as they age, and less likely to nip/whack, although this may change towards the last few months :(

Soldato
Go for it, but gather as much information beforehand make sure you have some idea of temperament and whether he's ok with kids etc very young kids especially can be very noisy and make sudden movements which can be stressful if they're not used to it.

Associate
I adopted two 14 year old tabby sisters last year. They have been great and really mellowed to our 8yr old son.

they sleep a lot during the day but still play chase in the evening and bat about the bits of Lego through the house.

They have been great. The last few sets of cars we have had have all been older adoptions. I just have a soft spot for them as I feel they must just need a wee home to settle in.

I have the view that even if they only lasted a year , that’s a year longer than they would have had if not adopted.

Soldato
We lost our two cats after about 17 yrs -both went in less than a year.

We said never again and when we had finished doing up this house the wife said can we have another cat. - I said yes but it must be the one that has been at cat home the longest.
She was a lovely cat once she was used to us and surroundings but we didn't know she had health problems - in the end it cost us thousands of pounds and still had to have her put down as in the end she lost all the will to do anything.
While that was going on a cat from over the road adopted us (They split up and husband had to move out) so after a while he became our cat and even Ronnie has problems - Got a cough and ear problems and he has cost quit a few quid - It's not the money but the vets play on your emotions and they say we need to do this and that.

After saying all that Ronnie is a nice cat but when he goes we certainly won't get another.

Our first two were kittens and only cost a few hundred over all those 17 yrs

Soldato
im just gonna drop a pic of merlin from a few years back.

a8IDFrt.jpg

he is 24 year old now and as moody and healthy as any cute cat can be, he is a indoor only cat my cousins one and my grans female one lived to 19 or 20.

we got ted and dougal just before they were 1 and dougal died at 14 and his brother is nearly 16 now, my sisters cats she got felix and rascal as kittens, both have massive health problems but rascal is almost 16 and his brother died so she got a 2 year old rag doll cat to keep him company and she died of stomach cancer before the age of 4.......

age has no bearing on how long a cat will live, just seems to be genetics and luck :(

if you get a cat and bond you want as much time as possible hence kittens, but 11 is not old in cat years, you could have that 11 year old cat for another 10 years at least, cats can live very long :)

Soldato
11 is old for a cat. Most get run over before that age anyway. I've never even had a cat that died of old ago. They either go missing, some cat lady probably stole it or ran over. Since being a child I've had 8/9 plus a few sets of kittens. Even some of them kittens got ran over. People who I gaven them to have told me.

People saying they can get to 18 easily are crazy. 12 is a good old ago imo.

Man of Honour
11 is old for a cat. Most get run over before that age anyway. I've never even had a cat that died of old ago. They either go missing, some cat lady probably stole it or ran over. Since being a child I've had 8/9 plus a few sets of kittens. Even some of them kittens got ran over. People who I gaven them to have told me.

People saying they can get to 18 easily are crazy. 12 is a good old ago imo.
Well mine is 17 and still going very strong.

Man of Honour
Another good thing with older cats, especially as you have young children, is that they tend not to hunt anywhere near as much as a young cat. My Jade who is 15 has completely given up hunting now but will happily sit in the window "chirping" at the birds outside. Abby was a demon when she was old enough to go out and brought home all sorts and not always dead either. The number of times I have chased a vole, shrew, fieldmouse or even birds around the house trying to catch them to put them back in the field is crazy. Even Abby has eased up with her hunting now that she is 11. poor Garfield used to nick someone elses kills, bring them in the house and meow the house down to get us to see what he had "caught". I know he did this because I watched him nick one of Abby's one morning, cheeky chap that he was. Young children my be upset by finding dead animals all over the house.

Soldato
My cat snores, so she has to sleep in another room so I can sleep :p

That's funny. One of mine did that. Only now and then tho. But it's funny to watch.

My dog, she does it all the time. Catch her lying on the floor giving it's some massive ZZZ's.... Then all of a sudden, her paws go, then she starts barking at something while running lay down hahahaha.

Capodecina
Soldato
That's amazing. It's very rare, and some people and other animals live a VERY long time. But for a cat to get to that age..... It's a good inning's. Same as any old, living thing.

I don't think it's that rare. Ours all lived older than that, one of them till 23 [which is insanely old for a cat, we were all aware of it at the time]. My wife's cat is 16 and will soldier on for a good while longer.

Back
Top Bottom