What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Love story + ground hog day. If you like Andy Sanberg humour, you should be fine. I liked it/like him but quite forgettable - hence my lack of detail in describing the premise.
I really like Samberg but thought he did quite well in toning it down a bit for Palm Springs? My girlfriend hates his type of American over-the-top comedy like in B99 but she rather enjoyed Palm Springs. Decent effort from him, I think.

Man of Honour
Mother! is utter garbage. Unless you like being really annoyed / frustrated, like being in a nightmare where you endlessly can’t quite catch a train that is pulling away.... avoid!

Man of Honour
One Hour Photo

aI4Gw12m.png.jpg

Have seen this one talked about quite a lot but not seen it previously. It’s known best for Robin Williams playing a non-comedic, creepy role.

Yup, this is a lot of creepiness going on here.

Hard to say anything without giving things away so will just say well worth a watch and put my other thoughts in spoiler tags.

That ending. Really speculative as to what actually happened. Did he hold them hostage, or did he make it up? There are two valid theories - first, he did go into the room and threaten them with the knife. Second, he didn’t and it was in his imagination. Either way, it was seemingly to get back at the unfaithful husband, although neither makes a huge amount of sense as the wife already knew about it.

He was a really tragic character and I couldn’t help but feel sorry for him. It was particularly tragic that in the end, he took photos of the room in a was a child would, showing that he had never really grown up beyond his abuse :(

The actors other than RW were a bit weak unfortunately.

There is a really jarring jump scare with the red eyes and the blood, really made us jump!

As a final remark, this film has an excellent score that really sets the unsettling mood.

8/10

Caporegime
Black Swan. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947798/

Not a topic that I'm automatically interested in as far watching a film goes, however, Natalie Portman gives an excellent performance as does Vincent Cassel.

At one point, I started to feel my interest wane a little but things soon picked up. I think one of its strengths was not being able to easily predict what was going to happen next.

Pretty good. :)

-----

+1 for One Hour Photo mentioned above.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nobody (2021)

Bob Odenkirk stars lead and well deserved too, this was a blast of a movie I knew nothing about. Serious action and a sprinkle of humour thrown in. Rapper cameo RZA wasn't bad either in a supporting role. It's John Wick but more family comes first

If you like Equaliser, John Wick etc then this is great. I prefer Hutch to Wick as well, just more likeable over the "wooden" John Wick character.

Soldato
Nobody (2021)

Bob Odenkirk stars lead and well deserved too, this was a blast of a movie I knew nothing about. Serious action and a sprinkle of humour thrown in. Rapper cameo RZA wasn't bad either in a supporting role. It's John Wick but more family comes first

If you like Equaliser, John Wick etc then this is great. I prefer Hutch to Wick as well, just more likeable over the "wooden" John Wick character.

That film was run of the mill in every single way. Just bang average and forgettable. A real let down. All been done before and much better.

Soldato
Nobody - 7/10 - Made by the John Wick writer & stunt team it is, as @mrk said quite nicely - John Wick with a family - and I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it is, plus the soundtrack was absolutely fantastic! So if you're expecting anything other than "failing middle class suburban dad comes out of retirement and is secretly John Wick " then you'll be hugely disappointed. Some great acting from Bob Odenkirk to play both roles so convincingly but also the great interplay with Connie Nielson showing a husband watching his life, marriage and kids slide away from him.

Back
Top Bottom