Excellent service from Apple

Soldato
People (including me) are quick to complain. My iPhone 12 Pro Max is only a couple of months old, and I always look after my devices (Mous case, tempered glass protector etc). Our youngest, who is 18 months, got chocolate hands over Easter, and ended up full of slimy melted chocolate as kids do. Unfortunately, he also got hold of my phone on the same day our youngest daughter had decided to peel off my screen protector for reasons known only to her. :rolleyes:

He picked it up in landscape mode, with his chocolatey hands, and proceeded to ask for Fireman Sam. When I took it off him (seconds later), he'd smushed melted chocolate into the ear piece with his thumb. I tried literally everything to clean it out once dry. Stiff brushes, alcohol, wipes... all kinds. Nothing worked. Melted chocolate/saliva mixture dripping into the speaker and then setting has to be one of the worst things I can think of to ruin it. Thanks son lol.

The call quality was basically zero, and I had to use speaker phone to take any calls. Doh. The display also had a slight (but perceptible) scratch from the same escapade. Not a happy bunny! I have AppleCare+ so I filled out a service request online, on Tuesday. It automatically came up as a warranty repair rather than AppleCare+ as the device is nearly new. I obviously expected them to charge once they opened it up and saw what had happened though. When filling out the service request, there's only a few options to choose from and no box for text to explain, so I just clicked 'receiver sound quality'.

The next morning (Wednesday) I had a box delivered, so I packed up the phone with a little note to explain what had happened and what exactly was the problem, and sent it back. Apple confirmed they'd received the device the next day (Thursday) and a few hours later emailed to say my device had been repaired and it was back in the post. Today, I received it back. Literally two day turnaround from Tuesday (request made) to Friday (device received back). They only had my phone for a few hours, the rest was just waiting on the post.

When I opened it up, there was a little note inside to say they'd replaced the earpiece speaker and my scratched display, and everything was back to brand new. Don't worry about it, free of charge and thanks for buying Apple. <3 They might be slightly more expensive, but their service usually gives you the warm and fuzzies. Top work Apple. :D

The last time we had a flagship Android device (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or something, belonging to my wife) a similar issue occurred. We took it to the Samsung store in the city centre, and the guy said 'Yeah we can fix that under warranty, as soon as you pay for a new screen because this one has a small chip on the edge of the display'. I calmly explained that no sound from a speaker at the top of the device was in no way related to the tiny (spec of dust sized) chip from the edge display at the opposite end of the device. He called over a manager, who repeated that we'd need to pay for a new screen for the (until now) unnoticed 'damage'. I explained that in law they have to repair the device, and if they feel the almost microscopic damage at the opposite end of the phone was related to the 'fault' then they had to prove so. Until then they had to accept the repair. No bueno. I remained friendly but firm and explained they were acting contrary to our consumer rights, and the manager shrugged and literally said 'So sue us' and walked away. We moved to Apple after that... and I'm so glad we did.

Soldato
I can confirm that family members and I have always had good service from Apple, and I have also had truly atrocious service from Samsung, putting them top of my 'bad customer service' list alongside Scottish Power. Similar to your experience, Samsung also broke consumer laws, this time by refusing a refund on a nearly-new Galaxy Watch after their attempt to repair had failed.

Soldato
OP
I can confirm that family members and I have always had good service from Apple, and I have also had truly atrocious service from Samsung, putting them top of my 'bad customer service' list alongside Scottish Power. Similar to your experience, Samsung also broke consumer laws, this time by refusing a refund on a nearly-new Galaxy Watch after their attempt to repair had failed.

You'd think these companies would have a longer view (as Apple seems to). A quid to keep a customer sweet here, and a thousand repeat purchases there...

Soldato
Samsung also broke consumer laws, this time by refusing a refund on a nearly-new Galaxy Watch after their attempt to repair had failed.
Samsung pulled the same trick on me with my S20 FE. I've had quite a few Samsung devices over the years but that will be my last for sure.
OnePlus weren't much better to deal either however I would expect better from a company of Samsung's stature.

Soldato
Did the watch come direct from Samsung?
If not it’s the place of purchase which has to both initiate the initial repair and then refund on the second attempt.

If you got it from eg: John Lewis, and went to Samsung direct, JL have one attempt to resolve it before you can enforce consumer law.

Equally, if it came free it’s not CL eligible.

Soldato
Did the watch come direct from Samsung?

Yep, direct from Samsung. Now their pickup service was excellent (door collection from dpd) but the phone backup was terrible and seemed to come from several different third world countries where the wage slaves were probably expected to be au fait with consumer laws in a hundred different countries.

Compare with Apple where you generally get a nice Irish brogue and a genuine intention to solve your problem.

I criticise Apple for their bean counting in many areas, but they really do recognise the benefits of great customer service.

Soldato
I've just had my MBP off for repair. The guy at the store seemed as though he couldn't believe what I was telling him, as I had found the components inside were damaged when I opened it, plus, the store had six staff just sat together on tables chatting at the back, which looked unprofessional and in these times...

However, once the tracking actually updated after a full week of not moving, the machine was off, fixed, and back to me in three days, for a total of 10 days of their estimated 14.

For the damaged speaker I got a new keyboard and top case for the bottom half, a new battery and new speakers. :)

Man of Honour
I've always had excellent service from Apple. However I've needed it because of their attrocious build quality. So I guess that counts as both good and bad :)

Soldato
I've never had a bad word to say about Apple when it comes to post-sale customer service

The only bad word I have to say about them is the whole 'genius' process. I understand why they do it but I hate they assume all knowledge is at 0. Petty complaint from me though

Soldato
You have Apple care + and you feel them not charging you is amazing customer service?
Is Apple Care Plus now free?

Agreed on the Samsung comments had similar nightmares with them in the past. Shoddy.

Soldato
OP
You have Apple care + and you feel them not charging you is amazing customer service?
Is Apple Care Plus now free?

Agreed on the Samsung comments had similar nightmares with them in the past. Shoddy.

This wasn't an AppleCare+ (insurance) claim, it was a free warranty repair. An AC+ claim costs an excess... The damage wasn't a defect or fault, it hence it *should* have been charged as a claim. It wasn't, they repaired it for free and changed my screen to boot - hence the nice customer service.

Soldato
I've never had a bad word to say about Apple when it comes to post-sale customer service

The only bad word I have to say about them is the whole 'genius' process. I understand why they do it but I hate they assume all knowledge is at 0. Petty complaint from me though

I’ve found that the good ones do upgrade their level of patter accordingly once you show them that you’re not a numpty.

Associate
Always had great service. Most recently, When they were offering battery upgrades fir £20 I put my 3 year old SE in, it had a couple of dents and scratches, wear and tear. 1 hour later I was picking up a box fresh refurb one. This is still the phone I’m posting from currently.

in the past I’ve had a brand new MacBook from them as there was an issue with the MagSafe connector and instead of sending for repair it was quicker to get me one from stock!

in comparison, I bought a Naim MuSo a high end audio company’s Gifu speaker thingami. £1000. After 2 years just after the warranty expired the touch sensors stopped working meaning I could only use the remote. They wouldn’t repair. Worse though, they wouldn’t / couldn’t repair it, even at my cost as they didn’t have spares.

the customer service and general attitudes I encountered along the way was also terrible.

so yes, apple really are pretty spot on with it and why I’m probably a bit of a fanboi

Soldato
I have a muso-qb that is still going strong and luckily I paid richer sounds twenty or thirty quid for a six year warranty. Shame your muso packed up :(

Commissario
Bit of a bump but thought it worth posting.
I noticed a key on my 18 month old Apple Magic Keyboard was a bit iffy last night. Got on their live chat, someone phoned me straight back and I've got a replacement keyboard due to arrive today.
Can't argue with that.

Soldato
Have AC+ on my iPhone and iPad.

Never had to use it but for the price the charge I would expect exceptional service.

Back
Top Bottom