• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Took the sides off, a lot easier than I was expecting kinda just slide down. a lot easier than taking/snapping PS4 Pro lid off to clean the fan.

The noise definitely from the fan area and definitely gets a little louder when you load a game.

Will call support next week. Gutted it's come out the box brand new like this.

Soldato
PS3 and PS4 has system reserve as well. It's for the OS.

It is, but it's also used for storage management which is why the size of the reserved space changes depending on how much of the drive is in use. As a user you don't have to leave hundreds of GB free, the system was designed solely with an SSD in mind and will be doing all of that maintenance itself.

Associate
loving the new update guys :) disk spin is hardly noticeable now when it randomly spins while playing. has anyone noticed the fan speed increase when playing games, more than it was?

Soldato
So Capcom have released the expected framerates for the various versions of Resi 8 (scroll down to "Output Resolution and Expected Framerate"). They claim 45fps for PS5 at 4K with ray tracing enabled. We need VRR, Sony!

Its the same for the Xbox consoles as well. Makes very little sense beyond 4k marketing fluff. 1440p (or dynamic res between 1440p-2160p) at 60fps would make far more sense all around (and 1080p for the Series S in the same scenario).

Interestingly I saw John Linneman on twitter highlighting that VRR may not be all that helpful if TV's follow the 48fps and up VRR range often seen on monitors (for all consoles).

EDIT: Seems like it is 45+ FPS with RT enabled on the PS4 albeit with checkerboard rendering at "4K" (presumably the same on the Series X but that demo isn't available yet).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-evil-village-demo-tested-on-all-playstations

To quote the article:

Digital Foundry said:
Let's kick off with PlayStation 5, which renders at 4K resolution, albeit with evidence reconstruction via checkerboarding. CBR artefacts only present on foliage and hair and they're barely noticeable and the impression is of a game that looks really good on a 4K screen. Run with ray tracing off and the experience is totally locked to 60fps. Turn ray tracing on and effectively it's the same thing - albeit with some drops into the 50s. It's not the 45fps Capcom mentioned, but this may represent a worst case scenario. Really, RE Village runs with an unlocked frame-rate across all modes and all systems.

Hopefully the drops are not too noticeable as a locked 60FPS would be far better.

Soldato
Its the same for the Xbox consoles as well. Makes very little sense beyond 4k marketing fluff. 1440p (or dynamic res between 1440p-2160p) at 60fps would make far more sense all around (and 1080p for the Series S in the same scenario).

Interestingly I saw John Linneman on twitter highlighting that VRR may not be all that helpful if TV's follow the 48fps and up VRR range often seen on monitors (for all consoles).

EDIT: Seems like it is 45+ FPS with RT enabled on the PS4 albeit with checkerboard rendering at "4K" (presumably the same on the Series X but that demo isn't available yet).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-evil-village-demo-tested-on-all-playstations

To quote the article:

Hopefully the drops are not too noticeable as a locked 60FPS would be far better.

isn't it 40-120 for VRR :confused: I am sure that's LG OLED VRR range.

Soldato
Also seems the new update has killed my external drive. Was working no problems at all but now it only writes really slowly crashes then tells me I have removed it incorrectly. The drive works fine plugged into my Xbox or Mac.

Getting a bit fed up with it now tbh.....

Soldato
Also seems the new update has killed my external drive. Was working no problems at all but now it only writes really slowly crashes then tells me I have removed it incorrectly. The drive works fine plugged into my Xbox or Mac.

Getting a bit fed up with it now tbh.....

Do you use rest mode or power down fully on each use?

Soldato
Do you use rest mode or power down fully on each use?

Usually rest mode amber light. It’s been fine until this latest update no problems at all.

Edit drive seems to be working now. I had to plug it into my windows machine and clean the drive. Lost 700GB of games from the drive though..... If it does it again it’s going on eBay the SX is much more reliable....

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe you were just unfortunate that the drive was doing something when the update started. I can honestly say my young lad’s machine has been faultless. The only issue I’ve seen was updates failing as a result of either the internet dropping out, or a power cut.

Soldato
Could well have been although I was playing god of war for about 10 mins this morning and it was ok. See how it goes hopefully just a glitch. Good job I have fast internet....

Back
Top Bottom