• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 7 5800X Temperatures

Soldato
drop your package power to 100 and leave EDC @ 140 and TDC @ 90 you should see significant drop in temps

default motherbaord package power is 140W for 5800X the default for the chip is 105w.

with all those settings on auto or not altered, you are using the maximum thermal and electrical current specification for the chip. if you want temps to be inline with the default spec for 5800X then drop the package power down.

I am on LF2 360mm and it can manage the 140W output just fine. mid 70c after a couple of hours of aida64 with P12 fans kicking in at 70% rpm.

at 120w (which is my current profile) the 2hr torture test yield mid 60c fans run at 60%RPM.

my fan profile is 40% upto 50c 60% upto 70c then 70% for anyting beyond with step change no gradual fan speed change.

I followed your recommendations earlier, been using my PC all evening and it's made a 'massive' difference, I still seem to have all of the performance yet my temperatures and thus fan speeds and therefore noise have dropped hugely, running repeat multithreaded runs over Cinebench now it sits at 72c, it's like a different system. Because I still have all of the performance because it's not throttling itself due to hitting 90c anymore, I do think once I put the AIO on ...well later today at this point (didn't realise it was 01:20 tbh) it will open up headroom to run faster, maybe I could see 5ghz boosts on 1 or 2 cores etc, I wonder, what I do know is I am happy right now with it, I've still ordered the cooler of course but right now I see that as an opportunity to tune this up a bit now :D

Edit: Actually when I said 'all' of the performance, there is a very slight difference, in the very short time before it was dialling back the clock speed after hitting 90c (this was something like 30 seconds), it was boosting higher on all cores than it does now infact but then with 140w Package Power I guess it would, but it's ability to sustain that was so short lived it didn't amount to much and was a lot less pleasant to use because uber turbo fan speeds were being maintained while it sat at 90c and the boost difference was only about 100mhz all core, I can probably get that back with the AIO and some tweaking tbh, at least that I would guess.

This is the key to getting the most out of these I think now, not necessarily throwing more cooling at it, but understanding how to tune it with what you do have, obviously I am happy to spend money on more so I guess I will benefit from that ...I'll find out later anyway.

The exact settings I have in use now are,

CPU TDC set to 90A
CPU EDC set to 140A
CPU PPT set to 105W

Curve Optimizer
Negative

@pc-guy and @humbug thanks so much for your advice so far, it's really made a nice difference.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I followed your recommendations earlier, been using my PC all evening and it's made a 'massive' difference, I still seem to have all of the performance yet my temperatures and thus fan speeds and therefore noise have dropped hugely, running repeat multithreaded runs over Cinebench now it sits at 72c, it's like a different system. Because I still have all of the performance because it's not throttling itself due to hitting 90c anymore, I do think once I put the AIO on ...well later today at this point (didn't realise it was 01:20 tbh) it will open up headroom to run faster, maybe I could see 5ghz boosts on 1 or 2 cores etc, I wonder, what I do know is I am happy right now with it, I've still ordered the cooler of course but right now I see that as an opportunity to tune this up a bit now :D

Edit: Actually when I said 'all' of the performance, there is a very slight difference, in the very short time before it was dialling back the clock speed after hitting 90c (this was something like 30 seconds), it was boosting higher on all cores than it does now infact but then with 140w Package Power I guess it would, but it's ability to sustain that was so short lived it didn't amount to much and was a lot less pleasant to use because uber turbo fan speeds were being maintained while it sat at 90c and the boost difference was only about 100mhz all core, I can probably get that back with the AIO and some tweaking tbh, at least that I would guess.

This is the key to getting the most out of these I think now, not necessarily throwing more cooling at it, but understanding how to tune it with what you do have, obviously I am happy to spend money on more so I guess I will benefit from that ...I'll find out later anyway.

The exact settings I have in use now are,

CPU TDC set to 90A
CPU EDC set to 140A
CPU PPT set to 105W

Curve Optimizer
Negative

@pc-guy and @humbug thanks so much for your advice so far, it's really made a nice difference.

Glad to hear it. :)

Soldato
@Moeks Great to hear you got your chip working as it should.

I would suggest once you have your new cooler play around with the PPT and those EDC and TDC settings.

also I used a method stated in this Reddit post to test individual thread and core for highest possible boost and stability (whea error). In my experience with my CPU an all core -20 is probably not stable in long terms. That’s what I did right off the bat as well and ran OCCT and AiDA neither of which picked up any whea error. Because under all core load the CPU doesn’t have any issues as it is being fed plenty juice.

whea error comes in when you have light load or low p state or windows is switching threads that’s when those whea error will pop up and ruin your PC. This testing is very long. I spend an entire day doing it and fine tuning my CO values on individual cores. I also did the test below with all stock settings including ram to make sure there is absolutely nothing in the testing that can possibly cause issues with stability so any errors found is definitely the cpu. Setup a custom error log for WHEA logger in windows event viewer is highly advisable. lastly with regards to ram and CPU memory controller settings, might be worthwhile to put a post in Memory section or overclocking section to ask someone who has far more knowledge of ram and CPU controller than me about what is stock setting for Zen2/3 memory controller. in my expreicne, motherboard brands dont necessarily choose the most optimised settings sometimes over juice it and sometimes dont give it enough beans. I always do manual setting on voltages that way I can be sure the settings are correct (stock or OC). incorrect settings can lead to whea error as well. and if you want to do faff about with clear cmos and resetting bios etc then i would suggest you steer clear off ram OC and sub timing tuning just load XMP timings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Last edited:
Soldato
I might have accidentally smashed my face on the buy new motherboard button last-night aswell :p ...switching over from my Intel Z490 platform and using the old B450 MSI board I had was never meant to be a permanent solution it was just what I had and used to run my old R5 3600 on and I used it to get me up and running with the 5800X to see what all the fuss was about. As I convinced myself it was the right move yesterday after tweaking I thought I would get the board now before I rebuild with the AIO as I'd only have to do it again otherwise.

I actually had my new board delivered this morning aswell (yes I did order it after midnight lastnight ...that's an impressive delivery time eh), Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX V2 ...which I now note is the same as Humbug's, that wasn't intentional btw, I spent hours looking at boards and watching all of BuildZoid's rambling thoughts videos on the B550 lineups and bought based on features, actually my system is very similar to yours now with the AF II 280mm going in aswell. I really like the fact that Gigabyte actually has an internal type-c header on this board, not a given on B550 it seems, has plenty of rear USB ports, has a solid VRM, has 7 fan headers ...my little MSI board only has 3 and I need more now and apparently Gigabyte are generally considered to have the best fan curve tuning software but that part remains to be seen, motherboard vendor software is usually pretty awful in my experience. I've had 3 MSI boards in a row now all of which have been great and an Asrock board ...that's ok. Last time I used a Gigabyte was back in the Z77 days, before the Aorus brand was launched so kind of fancied a change, Asus however never seem to offer the complete package at a price I like, the only B550 board Asus make that actually gives me all the things I want is the Strix B550 E which is too expensive really, paying for things I don't need like thr SLI license, the F gets close but misses the internal type C header for some totally unfathomable reason.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had/have a warm 5800x. I set cpu volts to 1.28v. On my B550 tomahawk it idles low 30s as it did at stock volts. Under a NH-D15 Chroma Cinebench R23 hits about 78 max on a long loop. On stock it'd get to 89 and I my old 240 AIO it'd hit 90 almost emmidately. Gaming its fine as, was, everything else even at stock, . PBO left on and it'll stay 4.5 gig all core all day @1.28v. Single core will hit about 4.8.
I don't monitor the temps frequently but I always check from time to time. Definitely a hot chip and you need a top tier cpu cooler at the minimum if you work the cpu hard frequently.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I might have accidentally smashed my face on the buy new motherboard button last-night aswell :p ...switching over from my Intel Z490 platform and using the old B450 MSI board I had was never meant to be a permanent solution it was just what I had and used to run my old R5 3600 on and I used it to get me up and running with the 5800X to see what all the fuss was about. As I convinced myself it was the right move yesterday after tweaking I thought I would get the board now before I rebuild with the AIO as I'd only have to do it again otherwise.

I actually had my new board delivered this morning aswell (yes I did order it after midnight lastnight ...that's an impressive delivery time eh), Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX V2 ...which I now note is the same as Humbug's, that wasn't intentional btw, I spent hours looking at boards and watching all of BuildZoid's rambling thoughts videos on the B550 lineups and bought based on features, actually my system is very similar to yours now with the AF II 280mm going in aswell. I really like the fact that Gigabyte actually has an internal type-c header on this board, not a given on B550 it seems, has plenty of rear USB ports, has a solid VRM, has 7 fan headers ...my little MSI board only has 3 and I need more now and apparently Gigabyte are generally considered to have the best fan curve tuning software but that part remains to be seen, motherboard vendor software is usually pretty awful in my experience. I've had 3 MSI boards in a row now all of which have been great and an Asrock board ...that's ok. Last time I used a Gigabyte was back in the Z77 days, before the Aorus brand was launched so kind of fancied a change, Asus however never seem to offer the complete package at a price I like, the only B550 board Asus make that actually gives me all the things I want is the Strix B550 E which is too expensive really, paying for things I don't need like thr SLI license, the F gets close but misses the internal type C header for some totally unfathomable reason.

I have very recently become a Gigabyte fanboi when it comes to motherboards, i've had them all over the years and while Asus are good but as you pointed out you don't get much unless you pay hard, when it came to buying a board this time round i remembered my good old Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 3, a cheap board, and one of the cheapest boards i've ever owned at about £85, it was actually the best board i've had, i saw the Aorus Elite AX V2 reduced from £180 to £160 on 'rainforest' and bought it, yeah, good board, all the features you could need, great 12+2 VRMs with chunky Heat Syncs, chunky metal Heat Syncs on both M.2 slots, i think its 5 fan headers? which is enough, good build quality a bit of subtle RGB flair, its not over the top and in your face and i like the dark matt monochrome finish, its tasteful.
Oh and yes the fan controller options are fantastic, you can custom set each header to monitor any of a myriad of sensors on the motherboard or in my case what i have done is set all the fans to monitor the CPU, so my case fans only ramp up when the CPU gets hot, you can even set a delay on the fan headers, i have set a delay of 3 seconds on all headers so the fans are not ramping up and down with the temperature spikes of the CPU. F6 to get to the fan header settings.

A couple of things about the Liquid freezer II, depending on which revision you have, Rev3 it has a very large mounting bracket that extends out over the VRM Caps, its an idiotic design and the bracket is touching the top of the caps, but not crushing them, keep an eye on that, this bracket allows for an off set mount, the idea is that you can mount it with the centre of the fin stack directly over the chips, which are off set to one side on Zen 2 and 3, this does actually work and reduces the temps by a few degree, the problem is it doesn't fit on these Gigabyte boards, the M.2 mount is too close to the socket.

Rev3 mounting instructions, worth watching.

Rev3 vs Rev4, you see the outer curve on the bottom bracket? that makes it too large to fit in the off set mount, Rev4 you can see they removed a lot of the material from that area, it might be enough to allow it to fit in the off set mount.

I might see if i can buy that separately....

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooli...ic_liquid_freezer_ii_360_rev_4_for_amd_ryzen/

Last edited:
Soldato
Up and running now with the Gigabyte and Arctic Freezer II, it’s the rev4 FYI, I didn’t have an issue fitting it in the offset mounting position. I rather wanted to mount the AIO from the removable bracket at the top of my case and let the fans extract and leave my 2 140mm Noctuas on intake, but sadly I couldn’t get the clearance around the rad with the 280mm so I’ve had to front mount it and turn the fans around so they are intakes, can’t fit even 1 of the 140mm Noctuas at the top as an exhaust due to the piping fouling it, so I’ve just got a 120mm Noctua exhausting behind the cpu. So far all I have done is set XMP and SVM mode to on, not done any PBO tweaking yet or reduced package power etc and it’s running at most at 72c, the system is quiet and faster than ever now, definitely have room to play with this now but before that I’m going to flash the bios from F10 which it came with to the F12 to update the Agesa and hopefully fix the B550 usb dropout problems I have heard about before I ever experience it.

Soldato
Regarding rev3 and rev4 bracket you don’t need to buy separately. Just email Arctic they will post out to you for free I believe and you just need to cover postage.

Caporegime
I never had that USB drop-out thing and i started on F10, currently on F12. there is an F13h BIOS for AGESA 1.2.0.1 but its in BETA, i don't have any issues with F12 so i'll wait until that BIOS is out of BETA.

It has the performance fixed for the L3 cache, i don't know what reall world performance that entails but it looks like it increased the L3 throughput from about 400GB/s to about 600GB/s, i mean, 400GB/s is already very impressive and 600GB/s is insane so i'm in no rush for that, it certainly doesn't seem like the 5800X is suffering from a performance bottleneck at 400GB/s L3 cache. Its just a number at that point.

Edit: the BIOS revision with a letter on the end signifies BETA with Gigabyte.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I flashed to F12, not had any problems with it, I didn't go for F13h I thought I would just see if I had any issues with F12 first, all good so far.

Soldato
Bit of tweakage and research yesterday has left me with the following now,
CPU TDC set to 95A (I don't need it to dial back to 90w anymore)
CPU EDC set to 110A (this seems to yield better boosts than 115A)
CPU PPT set to 140W (put this back to default to let it pull enough juice now I can cool it properly)

Running a negative offset of 15 on the Curve Optimizer on all cores (not done any individual core tuning yet)
Added
+100Mhz boost, so maximum boost speed is 4,940Mhz at the moment, and stability seems fine so far, no crashes, no WHEA errors logged ...nothing unusual has happened, going to switch to individual core tuning for further tweaking I think. This is one fast beast of a chip though and the 280MM AIO was absolutely worth it if anyone is wondering the highest temps I have seen while beating the chip up for 20 minutes straight is 81c. Typically it's staying in the 50s for most realy world scenarios.

The system is nice and quiet again now, the airflow seems fine for the 280MM AIO, the only thing I have noticed is because I have it front mounted (no choice) and the fans reversed to they are intakes it is kicking the warm air from radiator straight over my GPU, so it's activating it's fans more than it did before, as it has 'zero' fan mode it will switch these on when it gets warm enough, it's not intrusive or a problem, just noticed this yesterday when watching my GPU behaviour that it was doing this every so often even when the GPU was not really being used where as before with just an intake pushing cool air over it, it never did that unless I actually started to use the GPU.

If I was buying a case again with an AIO in mind, I'd probably buy a bigger one that I could top mount the rad in so I could have a clear and unobstructed intake at the front still. I think I could have fitted a 240MM rad at the top, the Fractal has a really nice removable bracket for this, but with the 280 you can't get the clearance once the board is installed due to the VRM heatsinks on the board and the presence of the 8 pin CPU power along the top.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom