Flushing a new loop

Soldato
What is the general feeling about flushing a new loop? I am just about to build a CPU/GPU loop in my Enthoo Pro (covered in another thread) and was wondering if it was worth flushing prior to installation. All bits - bar the GPU block - are brand new. I do remember some stories of people flushing out bits of flux and metal in brand new loops - is it worth running a bit of de-ionised / distilled water through it first (could tie it in with the leak test I guess)?

Soldato
OP
Cheers - that's what I thought - I've got a couple of bottles of de-ionised lying around, so if nothing else it'll give me an idea how much fluid the loop needs!

Associate
regardless of whether companies say radiators are clean.. you'd be surprised with the amount of shavings left in them, so theres no harm in giving them a good flush prior looping. In fact, i'd say its good practise to do then whenever you get a new part. Last thing you want is crap flowing through your loop

Soldato
OP
Funnily enough I do have an old Eheim kicking about - will do exactly that (although I may run the pump on it's own for a bit as it's probably not the cleanest anymore!)

Associate
I used a bit of vinegar and some tap water, a lovely pastel blue with some black crap came out of my EK rads, I don't think there quite so grim nowadays but no harm in flushing to get rid of residual flux and stuff.

Associate
I used a bit of vinegar and some tap water, a lovely pastel blue with some black crap came out of my EK rads, I don't think there quite so grim nowadays but no harm in flushing to get rid of residual flux and stuff.
The blue is from the stuff they use for leak testing in the factory iirc. It doesn't always get fully cleaned out at the end of the process.

For me, I do the same as others on the thread and flush it with water (I boil it first) 4-5 times through and haven't had any issues with mine over the years.

Associate
Likewise i boil water and fill the rads with a 3:1 ratio of kettle water and white vinegar. Sometimes letting it sit for 10min or so before vigorously shaking it. Do this 2 or 3 times before connecting the rad to my garden hose and fluishing for another 15min or so. Lastly, once that is done, i flush it again couple more times using distilled water.

Associate
I always clean mine out with a flush of deionised water, does no harm and I never use anything but deionised water and a biocide and I've never had a build up or problem even after I left the loop 3 years the CPU block was clear, I've never fancied dyes etc and with RGB these days it's all good.

Associate
I would always recommend flushing out a rad as a minimum before use...perhaps my advice is somewhat outdated these days but for the time it takes I still would - just using deionised water.

S

Back
Top Bottom