PS5 External SSD Testing: SATA vs NVMe vs Hard Drive - Back-Compat Titles + Read/Write Speed Tests!

Soldato

Worth a watch some of the results are shocking, when they compare PS4 Pro to PS5.

I will not say much but probably a good idea to keep your current PS4 Pro when you buy a PS5 if you still want to play PS4 games and happy with the frame rates (as some PS4 games will do higher frame rates on PS5). Also I base this on if you have a SSD in your PS4 Pro (which I do, I have 2, one internal and one in a ssd external caddy). If using the stock HDD only on the PS4 Pro, maybe sell up and use that money to buy more SSD storage for your PS5 upgrade or just add a SSD to your PS4 Pro if you can grab a cheap one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Erm no,

We are talking mere seconds extra in loading of some ps4 games.

It's doubtful many would notice the difference in most cases (2/3 seconds more) for the other benefits the ps5 brings to many PS4 games I can manage that extra 2 second wait..

This is all based on tests from an external SSD to PS4 pro also, which many won't be doing and still be on the original PS4 Pro HDD.

Interesting video I guess, but with fairly insignificant results.

Associate
Erm no,

We are talking mere seconds extra in loading of some ps4 games.

It's doubtful many would notice the difference in most cases (2/3 seconds more) for the other benefits the ps5 brings to many PS4 games I can manage that extra 2 second wait..

This is all based on tests from an external SSD to PS4 pro also, which many won't be doing and still be on the original PS4 Pro HDD.

Interesting video I guess, but with fairly insignificant results.

Completely agree.

I feel that 60 FPS is such a huge upgrade over 30 that I’d be happy to put up with considerably longer load times on PS5. 2-3 seconds is a total non-issue.

Soldato
It's absolutely not worth keeping a PS4 around unless you need an additional console for another room. Everything PS4 related I've tried so far works great on the PS5, and even small concerns like controller issues or vibration due to the new controller were unfounded because that all works well too and should be better since the most recent controller firmware update.

Soldato
OP
Completely agree.

I feel that 60 FPS is such a huge upgrade over 30 that I’d be happy to put up with considerably longer load times on PS5. 2-3 seconds is a total non-issue.

I agree for the 60fps games it's worth installing them on the ps5 but what I mean is keep the ps4 pro for games that don't make use of the 60fps feature and if you have a ps4 pro with a ssd it is cheaper to just keep it as a ps4 games storage and a spare machine than sell it for a ps5 if the games you play dont make use of the better features like 60fps. This is the way i'm looking at it to keep the ps4 pro and keep all games that don't make use of the ps5 features and better frame rates and keep the ps5 for ps4 games on an external ssd or when they finally allow us to use the m.2 slot and use the main storage only for ps5 games that need to be on there to be played. I have seen people buy second ps5's just to increase their storage, the digital foundry guy has even done that.

That's why I say maybe keep the ps4 pro for ps4 games that dont use the enhancements of the ps5 and keep the ps5 for ps5 games and ps4 games with enhancements. See the problem for me is I have a lot of games for ps4 and want them to be installed and downloaded once as I have slow internet and it's a royal pain deleting them and installing them again and the whole updates for each game can take days too, yes now they allow you to move them to an external drive thank god but that will take hours if not days for the games I have, also would mean I would need a very large HDD not even the largest SSDs have enough space right now for all the games I have and buying many large ssds or nvme is just way too expensive right now.

Soldato
OP
It's absolutely not worth keeping a PS4 around unless you need an additional console for another room. Everything PS4 related I've tried so far works great on the PS5, and even small concerns like controller issues or vibration due to the new controller were unfounded because that all works well too and should be better since the most recent controller firmware update.

It's about storage, sony really should have had a 2TB drive min in these PS5's ( even some ps4 pros came with 2TB HDDs and all came with a min of 1TB, storage has gone two steps forward this time and 5 steps back, yes it's faster but the clue is in the name storage, people need more not less), games are huge now and will only get larger. Also not sure why sony still hasn't enabled the m.2 slot to allow people to add extra storage. It's just annoying and seems they have zero reasons now not to enable it as nvme drives are now above the spec they said the ps5 needs, it's just a way to make people buy another ps5 so people can store their games, some now have the disc and digital version just because of the storage issues.

Soldato
It's about storage, sony really should have had a 2TB drive min in these PS5's ( even some ps4 pros came with 2TB HDDs and all came with a min of 1TB, storage has gone two steps forward this time and 5 steps back, yes it's faster but the clue is in the name storage, people need more not less), games are huge now and will only get larger. Also not sure why sony still hasn't enabled the m.2 slot to allow people to add extra storage. It's just annoying and seems they have zero reasons now not to enable it as nvme drives are now above the spec they said the ps5 needs, it's just a way to make people buy another ps5 so people can store their games, some now have the disc and digital version just because of the storage issues.

What?

The console would have been a crazy price with 2TB storage included.

Nothing comes quick in updates for consoles, and people buy two PS5's so they can store games they could just download again?...

The lack of storage space is an issue but not as big an issue as you are making out, especially now you can store PS5 games on an external hard drive.

Soldato
OP
What?

The console would have been a crazy price with 2TB storage included.

Nothing comes quick in updates for consoles, and people buy two PS5's so they can store games they could just download again?...

The lack of storage space is an issue but not as big an issue as you are making out, especially now you can store PS5 games on an external hard drive.

It is an issue when you have slow internet. That is the issue with storage the lack of it and the slow internet that most people are still on , it takes days to download a 200GB game for me and then hoping no errors or internet drops while it downloads and then the headache of it slowing down my internet too for other uses, so it's a huge issue for some of us and I have no other faster supplier in my area, so can't just hop onto another faster service.

Soldato
It is an issue when you have slow internet. That is the issue with storage the lack of it and the slow internet that most people are still on , it takes days to download a 200GB game for me and then hoping no errors or internet drops while it downloads and then the headache of it slowing down my internet too for other uses, so it's a huge issue for some of us and I have no other faster supplier in my area, so can't just hop onto another faster service.

Indeed, and is the main reason why I opted out of this generation of consoles. Being stuck on a 1MB/s connection with no access to fibre makes consoles pretty much unusable for me now.

Soldato
OP
Indeed, and is the main reason why I opted out of this generation of consoles. Being stuck on a 1MB/s connection with no access to fibre makes consoles pretty much unusable for me now.

I'm in the same boat mate 1MB when i'm lucky and normally around 750Kb/s and can drop lower when busy, most people around the world are on even slower connections than this as the norm, then you have games and updates around 200GB for the game and a 50 to 70 Gb update every few weeks, for one game out of the many you own.

Soldato
If you have downloaded the games already on PS4 you can just copy them to an external drive and plug it into the PS5. I’m not sure I get why you need to keep a PS4 with a PS5 tbh....

Caporegime
If you have downloaded the games already on PS4 you can just copy them to an external drive and plug it into the PS5. I’m not sure I get why you need to keep a PS4 with a PS5 tbh....

To play Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, of course. :p

I’ll be keeping mine as I never sell old consoles anyway.

Soldato
If you can afford it, a PS5 with SSD is currently the sweet spot.

Store and play the ps4 games from the SSD (yes you may wait 2 seconds more for it to load...)

Store the ps5 games you aren't currently playing on the SSD and everything you are playing on the console.

Until they unlock through NVMe drive it's the best you are going to get.

Slow Internet is unfortunate, but you have the same issue on PS4 or PS5 and most people have a connection much quicker than the OP, UK average is reported at 64Mbps (although I think that is optimistic, I'd imagine most people have at least 20Mbps these days)

Soldato
Slow Internet is unfortunate, but you have the same issue on PS4 or PS5 and most people have a connection much quicker than the OP, UK average is reported at 64Mbps (although I think that is optimistic, I'd imagine most people have at least 20Mbps these days)

I'm in the middle of a large city, not out in the sticks yet...

Fs6I7mEh.png.jpg

Back
Top Bottom