** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

ajf

ajf

Soldato
SLS and Orion gets people to the moon and back
Starship will just be the lander

I guess you fire an empty starship on a super heavy booster at the moon then meet it there with an SLS/Orion

Not really sure why they picked it though, it seems the most unlandery or the proposed Landers, for a start you need a huge ladder to get in and out?

Thank you for that :)
Misunderstood the job of Orion.
Does seem to be over the top option now I see what Starship is doing, as you say!

Soldato
My inner Kerbalnaught says eva pack. Either that or maybe some sort of magnetic grip, assuming starship is the magnetic kind of steele.

I would have designed the rocket with a folding staircase that's part of the structure when it's in flight but folds out on ground or a ladder that does a similar thing that's built into the rocket

Associate
I would have designed the rocket with a folding staircase that's part of the structure when it's in flight but folds out on ground or a ladder that does a similar thing that's built into the rocket

Everyone knows ladders are too heavy since they were removed from the massless parts category, unless you're willing to stage the ladders.
In all seriousness I assume they have the lift there as unlike the original LEM, starship is designed for reentry and doesn't have a fairing. Just have a look at the shuttle for difficulties in putting actuated doors on spacecraft, doubt they will do that.

Suppose the lazy method would to have one guy that has to stay in the ship with a rope.

Associate
Those legs look awfully unstable. I know there's no wind on the moon but might a lateral gas leak high up provide sufficient force to topple the thing?

I think the main problem is that it will have to land perfectly on the engins despite how large the landing legs are, given how heavy the thing will be. The legs on the current starships are even smaller.
To have the same amount of stability as the LEM had you'd need legs which would be far too heavy to fly to the moon with.

Soldato
In all seriousness I assume they have the lift there as unlike the original LEM, starship is designed for reentry and doesn't have a fairing. Just have a look at the shuttle for difficulties in putting actuated doors on spacecraft, doubt they will do that.
This version of Starship will only run between Gateway station and the moon. No reentry. This will be the only manned version of the Starship in the Artemis programme at this stage. The regular starship and Booster Heavy will take a while to man certify like Falcon 9 did because SpaceX aren't going to waste a F tonne of money up front on certification and instead will focus on building a working rocket and launch payload.

Back
Top Bottom