• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Order cancellation

Soldato
No, to quote myself:

Yeah, something like that would atleast have been a nice option

But the prices have all gone up. So a similarly priced alternative to the 3080 would probably be a 3060Ti. So refunding you was their only option. I`m sure you would have been angry if they asked you for a few hundred £ extra for an alternative 3080.

Associate
This is what you get for being dumb enough to spend 8 months waiting in queue, giving an interest free loan of nearly a grand, for a card you were never going to recieve in a million years. MSI just had your pants down, and somehow OCUK is acting heroically for giving you your money back...

Utter simp cringe.

Your take on this situation is spot on, OCUK didn't handle this well at all. Not closing orders after launch day was unbelievably stupid, and their hostile attitude towards paying customers just made it worse. But not everyone who stayed in the queue was gullible. I didn't need the money so there was no point in getting it back while I had a slim chance.... In the end I was only 40 places away from bagging a Suprim X for £770 - that was worth the chance imo.

I spotted that the numbers weren't adding up in November, and ofc got ridiculed by the OCUK troopers for even suggesting they weren't going to meet their pre-order promise. I went and got myself a msrp 3070FE in December and a msrp 3060ti fe in January...also had a 3080fe but they cancelled it because of the previous orders. So while I didn't get the 3080 I need, I didn't just sit around and end up with nothing, nor did I overpay for anything.

So when I got the cancellation email yesterday, I went straight to a competitor and blew that pile of 7months old money on a really nice monitor. Arrives tomorrow.

As for OCUK, well they've lost me as a customer. I'm sure they don't care, but voting with my wallet is all I've got. No more MSI, and no more OCUK.

Last edited:
Associate
Without going into the business argument taking place above, I would say that I think it was wrong for OCUK to take so many pre orders but also people were stupid to hand their money over and queue up in these ridiculous lines. Perhaps at first it was OK as we didn't know how long it would take to fulfil but after a month or two you only have yourself to blame. The way things are going the rtx4080 will be out before people get the rtx3080.

The scalpers should be strung up as well. But that's my opinion.

Man of Honour
From day 1, everyone had the chance to get a refund and go elsewhere, no one held a gun to your head to stay in the queue. So the only people to blame are yourselves for staying in the queue.

For what its worth I'm still in a queue for a MSRP 3080. But I'm not going to **** and moan about it if my order gets cancelled. I'm also going to jump on any 3080 that pops up on discord for anywhere close to MSRP if I can, and if I get one, and only then, I'll cancel the order here. That's just plain common sense.

Associate
But the prices have all gone up. So a similarly priced alternative to the 3080 would probably be a 3060Ti. So refunding you was their only option. I`m sure you would have been angry if they asked you for a few hundred £ extra for an alternative 3080.
Not really, prices have changed and what MSI have done is out of their control. If they refund me those are the prices I am going to have to pay elsewhere reguardless its not really a factor

From day 1, everyone had the chance to get a refund and go elsewhere, no one held a gun to your head to stay in the queue. So the only people to blame are yourselves for staying in the queue.

For what its worth I'm still in a queue for a MSRP 3080. But I'm not going to **** and moan about it if my order gets cancelled. I'm also going to jump on any 3080 that pops up on discord for anywhere close to MSRP if I can, and if I get one, and only then, I'll cancel the order here. That's just plain common sense.
I go on the queue before they changed the button to pre order, it was still claiming to have stock. I am happy to sit in a queue as I dont have the time or inclination to chase around and bum fight over the 2 cards that pop up every few days.

Associate
I think it was clear to just about everyone that most people were not going to get these cards in these crazy long queues. Most people in a lot of the other queues ain't getting them either.
The only good thing OCUK did was upgrade people to higher models and ship them, most other companies would not even entertain the idea.

Soldato
I think it was clear to just about everyone that most people were not going to get these cards in these crazy long queues. Most people in a lot of the other queues ain't getting them either.
The only good thing OCUK did was upgrade people to higher models and ship them, most other companies would not even entertain the idea.

Think my sister ordered 2-3 hours in and she was 650-700 in the queue. If she hung around waiting for this she likely wouldn't have got one. Seems all those pre orders past the first 2 hours were pointless and discontinued in the end considering they only ever shipped 340ish.

Soldato
Moral of the story don’t hand over money to Overclockers on pre-orders. Better options out there.

Gotta love the people actually blaming the customers on this one when its clearly both MSI and OCUK fault.

Yup, this 100%.

No your account of OCUK are mistaken and your teen boy angst is aimed in the wrong direction, which has been proven already. Go back to reddit and 4chan and keep `simping` over some only fans account - leave the real world to others.

You keep suggesting that @Darujhistan doesnt know how it works in a very patronising way, but in no way do you suggest how it works. Unless you actually work for OCUK you’re full of speculation and hot air. Grow up or stop trolling.

Associate
This conversation should really be in private with oc

Not a tantrum in public

Msi are a little scummy hence my boycot not that they will notice
Missed this one, I dont think anyone is having a tantrum but ontop of that OC explicitly said not to contact them. This is the email they sent out:

It is with regret that we need to inform you that MSI has decided to stop manufacturing the RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio graphics card. This is deeply upsetting for us as we know it will cause great upset amongst our customers who have waited so long to receive delivery.

MSI has informed us that there will be no support to upgrade customers to an alternative product. We therefore have no option other than to refund your order. This is a time consuming process that will be completed as soon as possible during the next week.

We kindly ask that you do not contact our customer service team regarding this topic. It is a global issue and sadly we are unable to change this unfortunate situation.

Soldato
There's no way MSI and OCUK could have known the demand due to the pandemic/mining/lockdown boredom. Unfortunate circumstances are to blame.

I mean all they've shipped is 340 odd units of this card since September. That's not unprecedented demand that is just OCUK being terrible at acquiring units for their customers and MSI selling to retailers who will give them more £.

Soldato
Funny because the money you get back now is worth less than it was in September, so being made to wait has cost you money aswell as time.

Doesn't help but an interesting observation of the current situation

Associate
i personaly thing Retailers have enogh data to undertand posible demands on new products.
I believe no one realised how bad the shortage will be.

Soldato
I mean all they've shipped is 340 odd units of this card since September. That's not unprecedented demand that is just OCUK being terrible at acquiring units for their customers and MSI selling to retailers who will give them more £.

Yeah but if OCUK paid the going rate from MSI they would lose thousands of pounds on those pre-orders.

Associate
Bless you son, thoughts and prayers. Nope, you absolutely no idea how any of this works, and thank you for confirming that. MSI / EVGA et al ,business practise might be the underlaying cause here, but OCUK haven't had `an interest free loan` as the invoice for the thousands of video cards orders would have become due.
I don't think there is any need to be so hostile and demeaning to someone who has a genuine gripe. The teenager name calling is certainly uncalled for. I work for an organisation that deals with large resellers and distribution channels directly and we get invoiced after 30days but we do not make payment until goods have been received, invoices are placed on hold until goods have arrived. Maybe OCUK do things differently but this is just my real world experience. Cards have definitely been available elsewhere. I ordered a Asus TUF OC 3080 for £788 including postage mid January and only had to wait 5 weeks for the card to arrive so resellers have definitely been able to get them.

No doubt the majority of the blame lies with MSI but i also feel OCUk could have done more where orders have been cancelled. It is certainly a sorry state of affairs and all i can recommend going forward is not to pre order and do not order from companies that you personally feel have burned you

Soldato
Yeah but if OCUK paid the going rate from MSI they would lose thousands of pounds on those pre-orders.
Perhaps so but it happens every launch where they can sell more than they receive. It's nothing new. No reason to have left pre ordering open ended. No-one else did. They tried to gobble up every order they possibly could and ended up in a position where there was no incentive to put any work in to fulfil them, since as you said it would've been a huge loss to them. Shipping only 340 odd units in over half a year is pitiful. MSI have luckily bailed them out on this one. Wonder if other manufacturers will do the same.

Associate
I doubt the level of incoming cards is/was normal 350 in what 6 months that sounds low ? ,so i don't think its a demand issue and it is a supply one.

Soldato
I doubt the level of incoming cards is/was normal 350 in what 6 months that sounds low ? ,so i don't think its a demand issue and it is a supply one.
Unless MSI were willing to supply 3089's at close to MRSP OCUK wele never going to be able to fullfil those pre orders.

I said in the fixed 3080 thread this would all end in tears when AIB's started making cards ELO and most people who are waiting would never get their order fulfilled.

Such a waste of time, people could have put that pre order money into shares into other moronic companies like Tesla and been £400 better off by now.

Back
Top Bottom