Quest 2 Virtual Desktop Performance Thread

Soldato
Is the honor 3 still the cheapest WiFi 6 router that's recommend?

Currently running unifi pro and USG so will only be using it to connect the quest to the pc

I wouldnt.
I bought one of those off the recommendations here and it was pretty stuttery.
I upgraded to a ASUS wifi 6 router (mostly due to a competitors 0% finance) for about 150 and its been flawless.

Soldato
Been using mt TP Link Deco M4 and it perfect. Ive had one disconnect but i think that was down to the app crashing out.

with some slight tweaks i got my latency down to 19/20. On stock settings it was sitting around 30/31.

i bought the cable with the intention of playing it wired but after trying VD i’ve since returned the cable lol.

Do love the settings you can tweak while in VD and steam being able to scale up the resolution and let the 3090 stretch its legs.

Associate
Was going to buy a TP link AX50 but found a b grade Asus AX82 for the same price so bought that. Because it looks like a spaceship. And it has lights on.

10700k/3090. Half a dozen devices connected over shared 2.5/5ghz. Adaptive QOS turned on for the router with gaming prioritized but I doubt that makes much real world difference.

In VD connected at 1200 - Hevc, graphics high, sliced encoding on, FPS 90 and bitrate 100. 30ms in game. I also have low latency mode set to ultra in the Nvidia control panel.
Downstairs the connection drops to 600ish but still holds 30ms.

Soldato
sometimes i get this but as you can see on the left of the image i have set it to private ?
bepEplQ.jpg.png

All I can think of is that it's getting confused between the Wireless and Wired connection on your PC. I believe you have both? Did you set the wireless one to private too?

Soldato
wireless is off, i know that much :D

Are you using the Beta streamer for 120hz? Maybe it's just a bug in the software?

If not, maybe the network is changing between private and public because of a windows problem? Try turning off the Network Location Awareness service and seeing if it happens again.

Underboss
Are you using the Beta streamer for 120hz? Maybe it's just a bug in the software?

If not, maybe the network is changing between private and public because of a windows problem? Try turning off the Network Location Awareness service and seeing if it happens again.

i let it update automatically, latest official version, so i dont think its beta

Soldato
not sure where that is Melmac, but i know my PCVR works fine in virtual desktop

I am just trying to solve why the Virtual Link Software thinks your network connection isn't private.
Network location awareness is a service. It's in the control panel, administrative tools, services.

Soldato
ive disabled it, i guess i dont need it enabled ?

For the moment, just leave it disabled to see if you get the problem with Virtual desktop saying your network isn't private again.

If the error comes back, then there is some other problem.

If it fixes the problem, then we can decide what to do.

Associate
Using a Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I (Intel 9260) wifi card, Windows 10's hotspot would only ever run at around 200mbps. From what I have read, since the Anniversary update when they replaced Hosted Networking with Hotspot, some wifi devices were limited to the 20MHz band (Not sure if this was Microsoft or Intel?). Which is a shame, since its a solid card for £25-30.

What I did end up doing is buying a small travel router and using it soley for my Quest 2. Specifically a GL.iNet gl-mt1300 Beryl https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt1300/
It just lives atop my PC and is USB powered. Its limited to 801.11AC, but its a solid 866mbps connection and gets around 30ms. Downside is probably price, at around £50.

dyFJy3h.png

po4NRc5.png

Soldato
Using a Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I (Intel 9260) wifi card, Windows 10's hotspot would only ever run at around 200mbps. From what I have read, since the Anniversary update when they replaced Hosted Networking with Hotspot, some wifi devices were limited to the 20MHz band (Not sure if this was Microsoft or Intel?). Which is a shame, since its a solid card for £25-30.

What I did end up doing is buying a small travel router and using it soley for my Quest 2. Specifically a GL.iNet gl-mt1300 Beryl https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt1300/
It just lives atop my PC and is USB powered. Its limited to 801.11AC, but its a solid 866mbps connection and gets around 30ms. Downside is probably price, at around £50.

dyFJy3h.png

po4NRc5.png

You could have got the Wifi card to work by connecting it to a 5Ghz network, then creating the hotspot. That fools the Limitations Microsoft has imposed.

Saying that, you are still better off to have bought the Router. It's going to handle the workload much better than your PC would. And £50 isn't a bad price for something that works well. People here have spent a lot more!!

Associate
You could have got the Wifi card to work by connecting it to a 5Ghz network, then creating the hotspot. That fools the Limitations Microsoft has imposed.

That is such a weird work-around haha. I still have no idea why Microsoft changed it.

Saying that, you are still better off to have bought the Router. It's going to handle the workload much better than your PC would. And £50 isn't a bad price for something that works well. People here have spent a lot more!!

Oh definitely. The performance from my VirginMedia Hub 3.0 was nothing stellar. It was congested a lot of the time with the dozen or so devices connected to it (Stutters and 50-60ms in VD). I should probably buy another router at some point!

Admittedly I was fully expecting to send the Beryl back. But so far the performance has been great. Added bonus of it only being on when my PC is, so its not another thing running 24/7.

Associate
I had problems getting good performance to my Ubiquiti AC Pro one wall away. My PC and phone would connect at 866 and the Unifi controller would report 300-500 real throughput but the Quest 2 really didn't like being on the opposite side of a wall. At connect it would report a similar 300-500 but would immediately drop down to 144 or even down to 2.4GHz. VD sometimes worked well but often looked pixelated and AirLink was too laggy to even use the menus and often crashed unless I set the bitrate to like 10.

There is more to it than that I think. I have an onboard Atheros thing and nothing prevents me from creating a 5GHz hotspot but like Snougar it was limited (300mbps for me on both the Quest 2 and my phone, which is a suspiciously 2.4GHz-like speed but both devices said they're connected at 5GHz).

In theory a solid 300mbps should be enough but it wasn't. Actual performance must have been 10-20% of the reported connection rate.

I found some newer drivers online and installed them and those blocked me from doing 5GHz hotspots all together. I saw posts about first connecting your phone to the hotspot to trick Windows but none of that worked for me. I guess you could test all driver versions to find one that allows 5GHz and 40/80Mhz channel width but is it worth the time?

I also tried a Netgear dongle I had laying around and that too was limited to 300 as a 5GHz hotspot.

Saying that, you are still better off to have bought the Router. It's going to handle the workload much better than your PC would.

What did work for me was taking down one of my Ubiquiti AC Pros, putting it in the same room, plugging my PC straight into it, and then using Ubiquiti's Wireless Uplink (basically meshing) to wirelessly connect the AP back to another AP still wired to the main network for internet access, i.e. turn the AP into an over the top "ethernet-WiFi bridge / hotspot dongle".

You would think adding an extra hop would add latency but it actually reduced it. Pinging the gateway averages <1ms whereas using my mobo's WiFi it was 2-4ms with random spikes. Presumably proper APs are just better at WiFi than onboard or USB.

Long term solution I need to put a switch (preferably UniFi) between my PC and AP as 1) the ports on the APs are unmanaged which means no stats in the UniFi controller for my PC (minor annoyance) and 2) every time I turn my PC off/on the AP disables Wireless Uplink for a minute while it checks if the cable from my PC is an uplink or not (more serious annoyance). Going to buy a U6-Lite (£80) + USW-Flex (£80) for the job I think, or a single UAP-AC-IW (£80) would also work but only 802.11ac and less reusability elsewhere in the network if I ever move things around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom