What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
https://imgur.com/bsNMHS2
bsNMHS2

https://imgur.com/3lzTT63
https://imgur.com/bVSp23q

bsNMHS2

I'm getting kicked out of the house when baby number two arrives. So in preparation, I've wired some Cat 6a cabling from the house to the garage "soon-to-be-office"!

Duu9Yv8

Soldato
Main task for this weekend was building the Windbreaker i mentioned last week. It's double sized and on hinges on folds in on itself, only one side in the picture below, i don't have an image of the final product. Which is good as bamboo screen is sold out everywhere so the other section isn't windbreaky as of yet.

It will remain to be seen as to whether it works or whether it just blows over in the wind given it's a very narrow and tall object!

BJpCpEA.png

Soldato
Yesterday we filled a skip bagwith a bunch of crap from the garden. We had some bushes removed and new fences installed so dug over the soil and removed loads of bricks and lumps of concrete.

Soldato
Future planning here, anybody built a shed on a slope using ground screws?
Difficult garden for access, it's not a really steep slope but leveling will still be a pain, and possible some big roots to remove.

Seems like a good plan, the other version being on concreted posts then a levelled platform. I guess as long as the ground is stable enough ground screws sounds like a good idea.

Soldato
Caporegime
Main task for this weekend was building the Windbreaker i mentioned last week. It's double sized and on hinges on folds in on itself, only one side in the picture below, i don't have an image of the final product. Which is good as bamboo screen is sold out everywhere so the other section isn't windbreaky as of yet.

It will remain to be seen as to whether it works or whether it just blows over in the wind given it's a very narrow and tall object!

BJpCpEA.png

Depending on where it goes you could put some hooks on the ends and attach to other hooks on s fence post / gazebo. You know, eye hooks

Soldato
Seems like a good plan, the other version being on concreted posts then a levelled platform. I guess as long as the ground is stable enough ground screws sounds like a good idea.

I'd prefer rod and concrete pole. This chap has lots of great videos where he uses them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skOEoAwppgA&ab_channel=OakwoodGardenRooms

After some more research was reading up on them, and had a facepalm moment as if I thought about it should have come to an idea of creating mini concrete piles (back at college and had stuff like that taught to us).

Soldato
Did this over a few days. a small room for the hot tub (privacy), and maybe for BBQing in the winter.
Change of plan for the roof, going to sheet it and put a square window in it. Not happy with the plastic corrogated stuff..

Original drawing..

Nearly finished. Second coat of paint on now, screw holes filled.

Ordered a canvas rollerblind for the entrance, will keep the heat in during the night while in the tub :)..

Next job is to reslab the whole back garden, not looking forward to that at all..

Associate
I used polycarb on the clear roof above my patio area (a few years back now mind).
The fella at the suppliers reckoned you could walk on it if it was braced correctly, but no way was I trying that lol

Caporegime
As part of the great table fix fiasco I dremeled some of the two-part bond we used to affix some bolts on the table.

Hammerited the scratching the avoid some rusting, will assemble it this weekend hopefully.

Associate
Braced the shed doors I built, to prevent them from sagging.
Glued together 2 pieces of plywood, 100x800 to make a fence for my router. Will fix it to the table tomorrow using a T-Track.

Associate
Cleaned bottom of pond out, did some weeding.....then got carried away and decided to rake the gravel on the drive level as it hasn't been done for a couple of years....4 ton of it, back killing me now

Last edited:
Soldato
Further to my thread "I hate Bricking" I have now found I also hate painting -Unlike my younger years like in my 40's when we painted -everything was blow lamped -sanded numerous times -holes filled then sanded numerous times again - undercoated -filled bit's you missed then undercoated the bits -then lightley sand all over -Then top coat - loads of top coats till it was right.

I then noticed when anyone came they said that looks nice and that was it -never noticed how smooth it was and blemish free.

So now it's a quick ruba dub rub and topcoated. No one notices you got a bit of red paint on the yellow next to it.

The wife got me painting the summerhouse this weekend and it did get a quick flash over - so now I hate and loath Painting.

Soldato
Grabbed 6 bags of top soil to level out a couple of dips in the lawn and added some more grass seed to thicken it up.

I have been using a box with more ryegrass previously so I am trying to add some fescue as the lawn is part sun trap/ part shaded.

It's quite relaxing doing this type of work.

Caporegime
Grabbed 6 bags of top soil to level out a couple of dips in the lawn and added some more grass seed to thicken it up.

I have been using a box with more ryegrass previously so I am trying to add some fescue as the lawn is part sun trap/ part shaded.

It's quite relaxing doing this type of work.

Think I need to do that, but going to be ripping half of the garden up anyway so may just go to town on it all and rip it up and level under it

Soldato
I think with my lawn rotovating it at the start helped to loosen it up, get air and water to it, and mixing in good top soil. It was also more noticeable where the large stones and rocks were so I could clear them out.

If it's not too bad perhaps just aeration followed by topsoil or feeding would work?

Edit: I am by no means an expert at this, but this is what I have found helped.
Think I need to do that, but going to be ripping half of the garden up anyway so may just go to town on it all and rip it up and level under it

Back
Top Bottom