Oculus Quest 2 getting official wireless 'Air Link' mode and 120hz PC support

Soldato
if i use VD via default i get high latency (using router)
if I use VD via wifi hotspot , i get faster connections speeds, but its worse than above (avoiding router)

Hey Shi, Sorry mate wasn't online yesterday. You still having issues?

Can you give me the exact make and model of your Router please? Want to try and get you fixed up.

The Star Trek Bridge Crew needs you!! , well, the Captain needs you to make coffee. :p

Soldato
OP
Hey Shi, Sorry mate wasn't online yesterday. You still having issues?

Can you give me the exact make and model of your Router please? Want to try and get you fixed up.

The Star Trek Bridge Crew needs you!! , well, the Captain needs you to make coffee. :p

Yep, white with two sweeteners please!

Soldato
Sorry :p

Just the default plusnet hub one router
That might be why, but when I get my own home, ill be buying a wifi 6 router, so hope I can make do with it for now

Thanks

The Hub one has terrible 5Ghz speeds. I would check the Plusnet page and see if they have a firmware upgrade for it.

Is your Quest 2 the only device using the 5Ghz network? Is it in the same room?

Soldato
The Hub one has terrible 5Ghz speeds. I would check the Plusnet page and see if they have a firmware upgrade for it.

If I was you I'd try on of those tplinks, if it doesn't work you can always DSR return it.

Underboss

think ive said over on the quest 2 page, so im getting confused, but anyway, i tried it like first thing in the morning when other devices were off. as i have my router on "smart" so thats both 2.4 and 5 ghz linked,
quest is on 5Ghz line which is good
but so are a lot of other things that family use and i dont have access to their passwords etc to change them from the 5Gz to the 2.4 Ghz if i disabled "smart"

but im working on it, im stuck with this at the moment

ill check Plusnet for firmware update and re-try it

thank you for your help

Underboss
I use a UAP-AC-LR, but mainly because I use them at work so got it cheap. Apparently the TP-Link TL-WA1201 supports the full 867 Mbps at 5 GHz, and in my experience the tp-link stuff is pretty good and that's only £35! If you're after wifi 6 then stock seems a bit weird at the moment, once the Ubiquiti U6-Lite comes in I'll likely upgrade, but you do need to run controller software on your PC to use that stuff.

All these would need a Cat5e back to the router or a switch by your PC (assuming you're PC is wired).

I suppose if you are using wifi on your PC then you could just plug your PC straight in to the access point, you'd need to make sure the TPlink is set to dish out DHCP in that case.

What is your network setup?

TP-Link TL-WA1201
not bad for £40
mine does full 867 speed as far as im aware (connected via Virtual desktop and says i get 867 speeds)

Associate
Not really relevant but this reminded of a mildly amusing story from a long time ago.

School where a relative was a teacher was setting up a computer room. 20 PCs unboxed onto 20 new desks, wired in and added to the proprietary software the local schools were using. The PC supplier wanted £100 per unit. I knew the software well enough and told the head that if he hired a skip I'd do the whole job for £200.

There was a sparks wiring in the network cabinet on the wall while I played with the beige boxes. His apprentice took a header off the step ladder and broke his arm. He went off to casualty and a flustered head appeared wanting to know what had happened. The sparks said, 'Lets just say he won't call me a [ladies' front bottom] again.'

Back
Top Bottom