The New European Super (borefest) League

Don
As soon as they announce, let's not wait for it to happen, they can all do one now.
Hypothetically, if this did happen, would you accept it if it meant that Leicester's revenue was slashed from £170m to £50M overnight and all Leicester's better players were cherry picked by the clubs you've just kicked out?
From a legal perspective, you can obtain relief including an injunction for a threatened breach of contract. I don't know how it works from a sports governance perspective but I wouldn't be surprised if similar remedies were available.

How would this not be competing with the PL? It'll compete for time and finance even if the clubs playing in the super league remain in the PL as well
I'm not sure, I'm no legal eagle however I think it's safe to say that none of these things will happen.

Regarding it being a competing League, where do you draw the line? Are clubs entering into competing competitions when they play in pre-season friendly competitions as they're competing for tv revenue with the PL?

Caporegime
I wonder what all the footballers think of this all. I'm sure not everyone is onside.
Klopp was completely against the idea a few seasons ago so I'm just as interested to hear from the managers.

There's no doubt who's behind this and who stands to gain, it has nothing to do with the clubs, it's our greedy owners, so this could turn in to owners/boardmembers vs players/managers/supporters/everyone else.

Soldato
Hypothetically, if this did happen, would you accept it if it meant that Leicester's revenue was slashed from £170m to £50M overnight and all Leicester's better players were cherry picked by the clubs you've just kicked out?

Taking a financial hit in the short term would be better in the long run for everyone.

Leicester ain't no push over in the transfer market, we only sell when we want.

Caporegime
Taking a financial hit in the short term would be better in the long run for everyone.

You do realise that if this Super League were to happen that only the best players would want to go there. The revenue for those outside of it would disappear and they would be unable to keep decent players. The Premier League whilst not overnight would eventually turn into the new championship.

Don

Short term? Broadcasters aren't ever going to pay anything like what they're paying for PL tv rights again. Sky, BT and all the overseas broadcasters are paying 90% of what they pay to broadcast those 6 sides. As for only selling when you want, you'd go bankrupt if you didn't sell them. Leicester's revenue would be hit so badly, for the long term, that you'd struggle to pay even a third of your current yearly wage bill.

The reason why I asked the question is because we keep getting these brash statements but nobody seems to consider the consequences. There's a ready made example of what will happen if these sides really did breakaway and leave the PL - go look at what's happened in darts when the best players decided to breakaway. The breakaway organisation has thrived, taking all the revenue and best players while the old organisation has become a glorified pub league. Heck, just look at what happened to the EFL when the PL was formed - the EFL turned down the PL's offer of negotiating TV deals collectively, beleiving they could go it alone.

Soldato
You do realise that if this Super League were to happen that only the best players would want to go there. The revenue for those outside of it would disappear and they would be unable to keep decent players. The Premier League whilst not overnight would eventually turn into the new championship.

but surely the revenue is only there if people want to watch it? If it’s not popular with the masses then where does the revenue stream come from? I can’t see it getting close to taking off

Soldato
Short term? Broadcasters aren't ever going to pay anything like what they're paying for PL tv rights again. Sky, BT and all the overseas broadcasters are paying 90% of what they pay to broadcast those 6 sides. As for only selling when you want, you'd go bankrupt if you didn't sell them. Leicester's revenue would be hit so badly, for the long term, that you'd struggle to pay even a third of your current yearly wage bill.

The reason why I asked the question is because we keep getting these brash statements but nobody seems to consider the consequences. There's a ready made example of what will happen if these sides really did breakaway and leave the PL - go look at what's happened in darts when the best players decided to breakaway. The breakaway organisation has thrived, taking all the revenue and best players while the old organisation has become a glorified pub league. Heck, just look at what happened to the EFL when the PL was formed - the EFL turned down the PL's offer of negotiating TV deals collectively, beleiving they could go it alone.

LP fan here as well - I'd be done with them if they sign up to this. If its championship standard for whats left then so be it. We complain now about finances - it will only get more obscene for the teams in this new league

Soldato

The problem you have is that you believe all the managers and players are behind it all. There is no suggestion any manager or players are even remotely interested.

All we know is 6 greedy owners, who are well out of touch with their own fans, and want to turn this into some kind of American franchise.

Soldato
This is the multi millionaire Gary Neville who is bankrolling Salford so they can do that very same thing spending more then any other club in that league in the process?

I dont see it as the same thing, as things are any club can find a cash machine owner and copy that strategy, which some have done.

This new proposal actually closes the trap door so is a different thing entirely.

Leics, West Ham, Everton, Leeds in next season CL if we kicked them out of EPL and UEFA.

Next season title race between Everton and Leics, bring it on. :)

Don
The problem you have is that you believe all the managers and players are behind it all. There is no suggestion any manager or players are even remotely interested.

All we know is 6 greedy owners, who are well out of touch with their own fans, and want to turn this into some kind of American franchise.
What is it with Leicester supporters reading my posts and finding something that I've not said. My question to you was purely on whether you'd accept the big 6 leaving the PL if it meant Leicester would become a medicore Championship level club.

I've said multiple times that this probably won't happen and I don't think players or managers will be giving it a great deal of consideration right now.
Any fans of them should take a long look at it and consider whether those clubs deserve their support.
I supported Liverpool long before FSG bought the club, why am I going to stop supporting the club because of the decisions by owners that might not be at the club in 5 years time? Supporters voicing their opinion to the owners will be far more likely to make change than turning their back on the club. We have to remember that the globalisation of these mega clubs means that only a small percentage of supporters are even based in the UK anymore, let alone in the city of the club. The millions upon millions of Liverpool, Utd or Arsenal supporters in China, Thailand and wherever else, that contribute hugely to the financial value of these clubs, are far less likely to give a **** about these plans. A section of UK based Liverpool/Utd supporters walking away won't change this.

Caporegime
The problem is that more than a few of the England team play for these six clubs, and if they go ahead with this new 'league' they will no longer be eligible to play for the National team.

I was being sarcastic. 99% of current England players buy their own hype, they are **** IMHO and picking lower level players who actually want to perform for the shirt might not actually be a bad thing

Soldato

We know the consequences, and as i said elsewhere, if we have to sell most of our squad to stay afloat, then so be it, unlike yourself, football to me isnt just about the glory teams, some of my best seasons of supporting my club have been in lower divisions.

I feel a lot of fans would actually like the reset that would occur.

Don
We know the consequences, and as i said elsewhere, if we have to sell most of our squad to stay afloat, then so be it, unlike yourself, football to me isnt just about the glory teams, some of my best seasons of supporting my club have been in lower divisions.

I feel a lot of fans would actually like the reset that would occur.
You say that but mysticsniper seemingly didn't, believing that Leicester could keep their players and judging by his 2nd post that players would want to stay. I was genuinely interested by his and others responses because it seems like a lot of people making these statements don't realise what they're saying.

Associate
My question to you was purely on whether you'd accept the big 6 leaving the PL if it meant Leicester would become a medicore Championship level club.

Leicester have been a mediocre championship level club for the majority of my life, it won't be such a big shock!

I think your darts analogy is misplaced - darts players who stayed in the BDO did not have a community around them or thousands of fans that would follow them come what may. Of course if this were to happen it would not be a good thing for the other 14, but the leagues would continue, and adapt. The 15 'super' clubs could not hoover up every single good player, there wouldn't be enough room. Even now, clubs like Leicester, Everton, etc. don't shop in the same markets as these other clubs, I'm not sure it would have such a big impact on player movement as some here are trying to make out.

To be clear, I'm sure we'd lose players, and drop in revenue would force players to make some tough choices - but the world will not end.

Back
Top Bottom