840i - anything else to consider?

Soldato
Started looking at a replacement for the Velar over the last couple of weeks. Cars have been the last thing on my mind this past year.

The 840i gran coupe has been coming up in conversation for a while with others recommending. I went to see one this morning, very impressed, albeit dealerships still aren't allowing test drives.

Its hitting the mark in terms of look, spec and price point but whilst I’m holding off for a test drive, I thought I’d ask if there’s anything else I should be considering given I’ve not properly looked at the market?

No criteria as such, tired of Land Rovers touch screen interface, miss iDrive, want something a bit more sporting but suitable enough as a daily. Also needs to be solid on long motorway trips.

Man of Honour
Are you ordering a brand new one for £80,000 or getting a used one for £45k? Without knowing its difficult to suggest an alternative..

The 840i sits on its own a bit, there isn't much that is similar - Porsche Panamera perhaps. The CLS is a 'coupe' E Class really, so not the same sort of thing and the A7 is an A6 hatchback.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
S-Class Coupe springs to mind, although clearly only a 2+2 with 2 doors, but with a very large boot. Massively luxurious big cruiser, really very nice cars. Panamera is a great shout by Fox, superb cars.

Soldato
OP
Are you ordering a brand new one for £80,000 or getting a used one for £45k? Without knowing its difficult to suggest an alternative..

The 840i sits on its own a bit, there isn't much that is similar - Porsche Panamera perhaps. The CLS is a 'coupe' E Class really, so not the same sort of thing and the A7 is an A6 hatchback.

New.

I got that impression regarding a class of its own.

No interest in the A7 sadly. Hadn't considered the Panamera at all though so I’ll have a look! Any insight in how the recent Porsche MMI stacks up against the current iDrive?

S-Class Coupe springs to mind, although clearly only a 2+2 with 2 doors, but with a very large boot. Massively luxurious big cruiser, really very nice cars. Panamera is a great shout by Fox, superb cars.

S class coupe is indeed a lovely car, don't see many of them on the road. The 2 door will be an issue though. Ill check the Panamera. :)

I've just bought a car from BMW - test drive was zero issue.

Strange, local main dealer said they aren't allowing, just the showroom until the end of the month. Must be stricter on accompanying drivers.

https://www.parks.uk.com/news/covid-19-update/

Soldato
Soldato
New.

I got that impression regarding a class of its own.

No interest in the A7 sadly. Hadn't considered the Panamera at all though so I’ll have a look! Any insight in how the recent Porsche MMI stacks up against the current iDrive?

S class coupe is indeed a lovely car, don't see many of them on the road. The 2 door will be an issue though. Ill check the Panamera. :)

Strange, local main dealer said they aren't allowing, just the showroom until the end of the month. Must be stricter on accompanying drivers.

https://www.parks.uk.com/news/covid-19-update/
Scotland likely has different rules

Man of Honour

Brave, very brave. You have to wonder why BMW keeps trying mega price stuff as the market clearly doesn't value it as such hence the savage depreciation and enormous discounts.

But then surely if you've decided you want to spend that much on an 840i you already know its what you want. A brand new 840i isn't something you end up just randomly shortlisting without knowing if its what you really want like say a Hyundai i30 might be after you eliminate a Focus from the shortlist.

I'd be wanting an incredible discount off list for this not to be a bit of a disaster though - the 8 Series is a wonderful car but it is, after all, a BMW and not a Porsche or similar.

Financial considerations aside I'd happily have an 840i. Brilliant cars.

Soldato
OP
There is indeed decent discounts/incentives.

At an initial glance, I think it just hit the spot in terms of needs. Practical daily, solid engine, it's a BMW so I know I'll enjoy ownership and to top it off, it's a model that hasn't fell victim to the gopping grille trend yet.

Not to speak ill of Audi but I want driving dynamics right now... Having a Velar contradicts this but I got that for other reasons and it's been relatively good overall if we excuse the breaking door handles and crap touch screen.

I will however, check the Panamera, I didn't realise they fell into a similar price bracket.

Thanks for the input so far.

Soldato
The 8 can be had at the same finance rate for used as new which is how I got into mine a month ago. My 840i Cabro was 6 months old, had 1100 miles on the clock and was spec'd to somewhere around 94k list with all the options it had on. I got it for 58K and they had just fitted the desperately expensive (and Fox's absolute favorite) BMW M Performance carbon options to it.

The 840i is a great car, handles well and doesn't feel like it "only" has the 340 BHP version of the B58, maybe thats the "weight saving" and reduced transmission loss from being RWD rather than AWD. Its economical for an car of this sort, I got 34mpg from Northampton to the John Radcliffe in Oxford on a friday afternoon, going across the A43 which was pretty good and even running on the Michelin PS3 ZP the ride is brilliant. Spec wise you can go nuts, my car has the M Sport Pro, Vis pack, Comfort Pack, Tech Pack and a few other options and is a fantastic place to be. The heat and ventilated seats are incredibly comfortable and give so much adjustment. Its probably my second favorite car I've owned (and I've owned far to many) after my Impreza Turbo 2000 AWD, but that car will never be surpassed I suspect.

Soldato
OP
The 840i is a great car, handles well and doesn't feel like it "only" has the 340 BHP version of the B58, maybe thats the "weight saving" and reduced transmission loss from being RWD rather than AWD. Its economical for an car of this sort, I got 34mpg from Northampton to the John Radcliffe in Oxford on a friday afternoon, going across the A43 which was pretty good and even running on the Michelin PS3 ZP the ride is brilliant. Spec wise you can go nuts, my car has the M Sport Pro, Vis pack, Comfort Pack, Tech Pack and a few other options and is a fantastic place to be. The heat and ventilated seats are incredibly comfortable and give so much adjustment. Its probably my second favorite car I've owned (and I've owned far to many) after my Impreza Turbo 2000 AWD, but that car will never be surpassed I suspect.

Thanks for the input, good to hear the ride quality is excellent despite the run flats. I fully intend on test driving before pulling the trigger. Options wise, the base M sport spec with a couple of extras such as privacy glass would more than suffice. It's packed with everything I'd want.

Edit: I should note, I've driven the new 730d a few times so familiar with the setup.

We don't, someone I work with test drove a new Mini at the end of last year, they just gave her the keys and asked her to come back in 30 mins.

I must look dodgy :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom