The New European Super (borefest) League

Don
for the ESL? Qe? How are they drawing that conclusion?
They're referring to the empty threats and failure of the goverment to carry out their review.

6 months ago they were going to nail the PL if they didn't help the EFL and they don't **** all about it. Just like the bs statements last year about players wages, they're making noises that the public want to hear at the moment, whether they actually do anything this time we'll have to wait and see.

Don
As if that was a government mandate FFS, and in a time of covid pandemic. Get over themselves. The tories are clowns but there's better stuff to go after them about.
Plus, football fans tend to take a dim view of politics getting involved with football.
The Tory's have been talking about this review for 10 years. You cannot blame covid for their failure to act.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Does all this mean less football in the papers, TV once all this fuss over a bag of wind is over.

Surely this is a good thing :)

Soldato
Apparently a board member from one of the English 6 said the owners are willing to be kicked out of the PL and they'll be fielding weaker sides in the PL anyway. He also said the Glazers can't get their heads around the concept of relegation and think it's a ridiculous concept, hence this being a closed league system.

Goodbye footy :(

Don
What could they have done that would have prevented this from happening? It was always going to happen eventually.
Hypothetically, and I know you don't like copying the Germans, but if PL clubs were a minimum 51% owned by their supporters then this wouldn't happen.

Associate
Apparently a board member from one of the English 6 said the owners are willing to be kicked out of the PL and they'll be fielding weaker sides in the PL anyway. He also said the Glazers can't get their heads around the concept of relegation and think it's a ridiculous concept, hence this being a closed league system.

Goodbye footy :(
US sports operate without relegation, so the reported comments from American owners are not a surprise. A closed-system can have its benefits too if correctly regulated.

Don
Not sure where the Germanophobic accusation came from lol
Because when I discussed the Bundesliga's plans for restarting 12 months ago you got very upset about copying the Germans :p
What's the amount that the top 6 get from being in the premier league? I thought it was more than the 150 mil you get for entering the ESL.
It's not an either or situation. They want to be in the PL and the ESL. And the reported yearly revenue from this Super League is likely to be considerably more than £150m.

Caporegime
Because when I discussed the Bundesliga's plans for restarting 12 months ago you got very upset about copying the Germans :p

It's not an either or situation. They want to be in the PL and the ESL. And the reported yearly revenue from this Super League is likely to be considerably more than £150m.
Ok fair enough, I don’t remember. I generally have no problems with Germans. Great sausage makers.

Soldato
One thing I can't stand is hearing BT, Sky and UEFA complain about greed. BT and Sky tried charging people £15 to watch games during a pandemic and will be first in line to try and obtain TV rights and UEFA are nearly as corrupt as FIFA.

BT and Sky did that at the PL's direction, as a way to offset lost ticket revenue.

Edit: I'm not saying that there aren't broader problems in football - of course there are. But citing them doesn't make the ESL any more palatable.

Back
Top Bottom