Neighbours complaining about trees that were present before they even purchased their houses

Associate
Hi,

Hope everyone is well, I will try to keep this brief. In my garden I currently have several very tall trees (around 60ft high), they have been there a very long time and provide a lovely amount of coverage and convey a sense of height and privacy when in the garden.

On neighbour who lives to the side of me (Neighbour A) has politely asked if I could have two trees trimmed to allow more "light" in to his garden. Neighbour A is lovely and I have agreed to have them trimmed and lined somewhat.

I have two neighbours who live behind, one recently built a conservatory, and ever since has been whinging saying "he has no light" in his conservatory, he calls every year without fail demanding them to be cut.

Another neighbour who lives behind recently also came round to ask they be cut (he has never been round before), coincidentally he recently had solar panels put on his roof that will be blocked by the trees when the sun is in certain positions.

These trees have always been there, they were present before the conservatory was built, the solar panels put up, the houses purchased.

Now the cost to trim the relevant trees is around £3000. I am happy to trim the trees for my polite neighbour, but the neighbours who live behind have a real sense of entitlement and they are really starting to annoy me.

Just curious as to what OCUK thinks on this situation, what do you think the right thing to do is? Should I trim the trees and eat the cost of £3k every couple of years? Is their an alternative path?

Thanks!

Man of Honour
In that situation I would be happy to have the trees trimmed but would suggest the neighbour pays for it to be done if they want it.

Caporegime
Are there any legal requirements that say you need to cut the trees?

If not, and trimming them won't bother you, ask your neighbours to cover the expense.

Bit stupid of a neighbour to build a conservatory knowing there is a tree that will block it , and then expect you to fork out thousands for their benefit.

Associate
Hi,

Hope everyone is well, I will try to keep this brief. In my garden I currently have several very tall trees (around 60ft high), they have been there a very long time and provide a lovely amount of coverage and convey a sense of height and privacy when in the garden.

On neighbour who lives to the side of me (Neighbour A) has politely asked if I could have two trees trimmed to allow more "light" in to his garden. Neighbour A is lovely and I have agreed to have them trimmed and lined somewhat.

I have two neighbours who live behind, one recently built a conservatory, and ever since has been whinging saying "he has no light" in his conservatory, he calls every year without fail demanding them to be cut.

Another neighbour who lives behind recently also came round to ask they be cut (he has never been round before), coincidentally he recently had solar panels put on his roof that will be blocked by the trees when the sun is in certain positions.

These trees have always been there, they were present before the conservatory was built, the solar panels put up, the houses purchased.

Now the cost to trim the relevant trees is around £3000. I am happy to trim the trees for my polite neighbour, but the neighbours who live behind have a real sense of entitlement and they are really starting to annoy me.

Just curious as to what OCUK thinks on this situation, what do you think the right thing to do is? Should I trim the trees and eat the cost of £3k every couple of years? Is their an alternative path?

Thanks!

my parents have recently had this. There is a layer of responsibility for the owner to make sure they are within certain limits depending on risk to other properties, you’ll have to look into this. But as you say the costs can get quite steep. My parents had a chat and have gone in with 2 other neighbours for a total of 25% each as everybody benefitted. Maybe try this approach.

trimming a tree will not kill it, and can benefit it’s overall health in certain circumstances.

Soldato
We have had similar problems with neighbours trees before - it's the burbs so very common. We keep our trees trimmed, and for neighbours trees if I wanted them trimmed I would offer to pay which I think is fair. There are byelaws or whatever but I would rather keep things civil.

Soldato
I can sort of understand your neighbour's on this one. If someone near me had what is effectively a 60ft fence, then I'd be a little ****** off. That said, I wouldn't have bought a house near something like that, so I can see your side of this too.

Man of Honour
Depends a lot what kind of approach and contribution they are offering.

It amazes me around here (rural Somerset) with lots of working farms, etc. and getting an increasing number of people moving into the area who aren't happy that farms, at times, make noises (and smells) 24x7, etc.

Soldato
It amazes me around here (rural Somerset) with lots of working farms, etc. and getting an increasing number of people moving into the area who aren't happy that farms, at times, make noises (and smells) 24x7, etc.

Incredible isn't it... Sort of people that gut their gardens for low maintenance and petition for a Pret in the village :p

Caporegime
Hi,

Thanks!

Drill a hole into the trunk at a downward angle.

Fill hole with strong undiluted glysophate.

Wait 4 weeks and then the tree will have zero leaves and just a carcass left behind which will slowly fall apart.

Alternatively just chop them down. I cut down 7 trees last year.

The whole privacy thing is overkill. If you truly want privacy just get your neighbors to all chip in for 6 foot high fences.

Trees just create issues more than anything. Leaves, shade, constant maintainence. I had a similar issue with a neighbors trees blocking all sunlight. He got the hint when I chopped all my trees down one weekend. A month later all his were gone too.

My garden now looks double the size thanks to how airy and open it now feels.

I still have another 4 trees I'm planning on chopping down soon too.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for the rapid responses. Regarding the legal question, there are no legal requirements to cut the tree. There are also no TPO's in place. I will reach out to them and see if they are willing to contribute.

Soldato
The trees may well have been there before the people moved in, but trees grow and need to be maintained. If they're on your property that's down to you.

From quotes I've had (relating to stuff on neighbouring council owned land) its a nice business to be in if you're ok with climbing and chainsaws.

Caporegime
The trees may well have been there before the people moved in, but trees grow and need to be maintained. If they're on your property that's down to you.

From quotes I've had (relating to stuff on neighbouring council owned land) its a nice business to be in if you're ok with climbing and chainsaws.

Agree with this.

Nothing worse than a neighbor with a massive tree who blocks all your light and the leaves fly all over your garden, etc.

A neighbor to the side of me asked if he could pay to trim mine. I said go ahead of you want but I'm planning on removing them completely in a year or two if you can live with them for now. So he never bothered and he was glad when one day it was gone. That specific tree was near the border and very large and blocked most of his garden. I cut another smaller one to the side of it too so he's now got full access to the sun.

Soldato
Drill a hole into the trunk at a downward angle.

Fill hole with strong undiluted glysophate.

Wait 4 weeks and then the tree will have zero leaves and just a carcass left behind which will slowly fall apart.

Alternatively just chop them down. I cut down 7 trees last year.

The whole privacy thing is overkill. If you truly want privacy just get your neighbors to all chip in for 6 foot high fences.

Trees just create issues more than anything. Leaves, shade, constant maintainence. I had a similar issue with a neighbors trees blocking all sunlight. He got the hint when I chopped all my trees down one weekend. A month later all his were gone too.

My garden now looks double the size thanks to how airy and open it now feels.

I still have another 4 trees I'm planning on chopping down soon too.

LOL but did you really just suggest he drills into and poison a 60ft tree he has describes as "provides a lovely amount of coverage and convey a sense of height and privacy when in the garden." (ie something he really values and likes) because..... you don't like trees in your garden?

Soldato

It's about as high risk as you're going to get in the UK.

I've had a team come in to take down a large ash tree in my garden then amusingly the neighbour got the hint and got in a totally separate team to take down their even larger ash tree. Now we both have more light. A town terrace garden is no place for big forest trees.

Dunno about neighbour but cost me 600 inc grinding the stump away. Took a whole day and 3 people. Good money but constant opportunity to get injured and instantly end your job when its about roping yourself up a tall tree with a chainsaw cutting large chunks off.

Last edited:
Soldato

The costs related to tree surgery/being a arborist are eye watering if you're legit and doing it legally, the insurances needed alone account for much of quotes price. Then having a proper place to dispose of chippings, logs, leaves and debris can add up too.

I was an arborist, still technically am as the knowledge I gained stays with you. I had family who ran the business and he was putting in 80+ hours a week, pretty much any time not on a job, he'd be out putting in quotes for other work. His salary was good at close to £40k but when equated to hours worked, it's a thankless job and works out less than a lot of low skill labour.

Of course you've got cowboys who will do the work at cheaper prices but most of them don't have the liability cover and if something goes wrong, you're going to have damage to property and a nightmare to claim anything without years through courts. They'll also most likely fly tip the rubbish afterwards.

I can't stress enough, anyone getting significant tree work done, ask for proof of cover, the moment anyone quoting becomes cagey over this, dismiss them.

As for danger as an arborist, i've seen some pretty nasty injurys on competent and well trained climbers, it's very easy to miss something as simple as 'included bark' and have a tree stem split on you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom