Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
My understanding is that not every State has ‘at will’ employment laws where you can be summarily fired just because your boss is having a bad day. I’m unsure how those states rules compare to each other or our employment laws though.

I think it's literally only Montana which isn't part of the at-will thing, literally all the other states are, or some form of it.

Caporegime
I think it's literally only Montana which isn't part of the at-will thing, literally all the other states are, or some form of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

As of October 2000,[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment#cite_note-muhl-28'][27]
42 U.S. states and the District of Columbia recognize public policy as an exception to the at-will rule.[28]

The 8 states which do not have the exception are:

[/URL]

Caporegime
Anyway....^^^^

Wonder if there will be a verdict today?
I wonder how much the decision is weighing on the Jury. I’m sure they know that even if they believe personally either way up their decision could result in riots and thousands if not millions in property damage and potentially many people getting hurt or even killed.

Soldato
I wonder how much the decision is weighing on the Jury. I’m sure they know that even if they believe personally either way up their decision could result in riots and thousands if not millions in property damage and potentially many people getting hurt or even killed.

I think a guilty verdict avoids the riots. That's probably the effect the mob is hoping for too.

Soldato
There's no doubt it will be having an impact on their decision, but the judge specify their verdict must not/should not be based on is happening outside and should be entirely on the evidence and what they decide. Otherwise we end up with a mistrial and a complete waste of resources.

Soldato
If he is convicted of the lowest charge without involving murder and he is released on time served or probation, there could well be trouble on your and our streets. That is not a reason to find him guilty or not if the facts do not support it.

Soldato
Doubt there will be riots if he is found guilty, but I suspect many officers will be questioning if the job is worth it.

Don't kid yourself. Regardless of the verdict there will be riots, no doubt by the same groups of individuals.

Guilty - **** **** the police and the law it's corrupt and racist
Not Guilty - **** the police and the law it's corrupt and racist

I do find it a great irony. People who claim that they are not as some would see them, as violent, theiving thugs. To prove this they go out and commit violence, theft and general civil disobediance.

Caporegime
OP
Doubt there will be riots if he is found guilty, but I suspect many officers will be questioning if the job is worth it.

Thats true, either way it isn’t great for the city. If he doesn’t get a murder conviction then the city will burn and more people will die.

If he does get a murder conviction then more cops will quit (already a problem for that city) and crime within certain areas or indeed among certain groups will carry on rising, more people will die.

In both cases there is the risk of the city tending towards Detroit. Americans seem to be a bit more mobile, don’t seem to have as much of the local identity thing that we have in the UK where someone might be a scouser or a brummy say and several generations of their families were too... In the US they’ll seem to be happy to move on.

IMO he quite possibly deserves a manslaughter conviction but I don’t think the conviction would be particularly safe as there is plenty of doubt. I don’t know that Floyd wouldn’t have died anyway regardless of the kneeling on his back and at times his neck, seems quite plausible that he could have though it also seems quite plausible that Chauvin was a significant cause. Arguably that should be a not guilty verdict but if he’s found guilty of manslaughter then meh. Murder seems like a complete reach though.

Soldato
Thats true, either way it isn’t great for the city. If he doesn’t get a murder conviction then the city will burn and more people will die.

If he does get a murder conviction then more cops will quit (already a problem for that city) and crime within certain areas or indeed among certain groups will carry on rising, more people will die.

In both cases there is the risk of the city tending towards Detroit. Americans seem to be a bit more mobile, don’t seem to have as much of the local identity thing that we have in the UK where someone might be a scouser or a brummy say and several generations of their families were too... In the US they’ll seem to be happy to move on.

Not happy. It's a need.
The same here. People move from north to south and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom