One day it was bound to happen

Soldato
I have been doing DIY since I bought my first house around 1974 and I feel that I have been very lucky Untill today.:mad:

I knocked over my first ever tin of paint and I only bought it this morning.

I am painting the Summer house and I am on the windows bit -Did first coat then later started on second coat - These windows are high but narrow and hinged at the top - Did the top and sides and only had bottom to do when I thought I need to kneel down to do underneath.

I had the tin of paint on third step of some step ladders near to me but not standing on them - Looked in summerhouse for something to kneel on and found a cushion so threw that down and half way to kneeling my knee went - reached out and grabbed step ladders and they tipped toward me and tin of paint just slid off the step - I did catch it and only lost a few inches from a 2.5lt tin. - This paint is Cuprinol shed paint thick and sticky - it went all over my left hand completely covering my Rolex -all down my jeans not to mention the slabs.
I now have sincere sympathy with anyone who is unlucky enough to tip over a tin of paint.

If it had been in the house :eek:

PS - I never thought about taking a picture and also it was my Seiko I don't have a Rolex

Soldato
I hate spilling paint. Last time I decorated I put down a decorating sheet and knew I was dropping occasional drips onto it. After finishing the decorating after a couple of weeks, I removed the sheet and tidied all the room up to find the paint drips had gone through the sheet onto the brand new carpet underneath. :(

Soldato
Worst "I don't have a Rolex" thread ever!

Done this once, (strangely enough also painting a summer house), moving a board around and managed to knock the tin of paint off the bench. Thankfully only on the patio so after scooping up the majority, it was relatively quick work with the pressure washer, but it does go everywhere!

Soldato
OP
I have a couple of those Lidl fold up baskets in back of car - they are ideal for sticking tins of paint in then wedge with anything you can find.

Soldato
Bought a tin of dulux paint from Homebase.

Put it in the boot and drove home.

some idiot had obviously returned it to the store, nobody had checked, it was already opened and the whole lot went all over the inside of my boot.

my rage that day was legendary

Soldato

some idiot had obviously returned it to the store, nobody had checked, it was already opened and the whole lot went all over the inside of my boot.

Ah, the "blame other people" approach, like it.

Soldato
OP
The paint bit wasn't the only bad thing that happened today but I made up for it with cooking the best sirloin steak tonight that I have cooked for ages. :) Made my day.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was once using the self service till point thing in B&Q - buying some brushes and three 5L tins of Cuprinol shed paint (2 seagrass green and one off white).

It was a sunny bank holiday weekend and full to the brim with DIYers stocking up for their weekend jobs.

As offering up the first tin to the scanner I couldn't get it close enough so turned the tin side on and offered up again. Ever so slightly caught the tin on the machine and there was a ping then a gut wrenching feeling as the lid "pinged" off across to my left and a small tsunami of seagrass green paint surprisingly quickly poured out over the till point.

The look on the face of the assistants as it seeped through the scanner into the machine was, in retrospect, quite a picture. However my self consciousness and preservation kicked in and I stepped back and deftly placed the now almost empty tin on the till.

Apologising while still not fully taking in the full scale of devistation I had caused the very kind said assistant muttered "don't worry about it, we'll clear it up". I thanked them, doubled back between the aisles got three more fresh tins, joined the queue and very gently placed them on the till point when it was my turn.

All the time curiously watching the strange but effective method of scraping the paint up with cardboard sheets and tipping it back in the tin.

Soldato
I was once using the self service till point thing in B&Q - buying some brushes and three 5L tins of Cuprinol shed paint (2 seagrass green and one off white).

It was a sunny bank holiday weekend and full to the brim with DIYers stocking up for their weekend jobs.

As offering up the first tin to the scanner I couldn't get it close enough so turned the tin side on and offered up again. Ever so slightly caught the tin on the machine and there was a ping then a gut wrenching feeling as the lid "pinged" off across to my left and a small tsunami of seagrass green paint surprisingly quickly poured out over the till point.

The look on the face of the assistants as it seeped through the scanner into the machine was, in retrospect, quite a picture. However my self consciousness and preservation kicked in and I stepped back and deftly placed the now almost empty tin on the till.

Apologising while still not fully taking in the full scale of devistation I had caused the very kind said assistant muttered "don't worry about it, we'll clear it up". I thanked them, doubled back between the aisles got three more fresh tins, joined the queue and very gently placed them on the till point when it was my turn.

All the time curiously watching the strange but effective method of scraping the paint up with cardboard sheets and tipping it back in the tin.

bit late and I can't sleep but this just got me
In trouble as I was giggling a bit too loudly in bed for my partners liking.
You paint a good picture with your words!

Soldato

Oooof! i guess that's a lesson to us all to check the lids on them before taking them off the shelf.

I can just imagine the embarrassment, it reminds me of an experience a few years ago that was nowhere near as bad as yours - i'd bought a rose in a vase out of Aldi for V-day, stuck it on the conveyor without even thinking that there was obviously some water in the bottom. As the conveyor belt moved forward, the water started sloshing out all over the conveyor and partially soaked the person in fronts shopping. At that point i just felt like putting the rose back and running out the shop. The checkout girl was nice though, got someone over to mop up the water, and someone else to go and exchange the wet food items from the person in front. Even told me to go and get a new rose.

Either way, i'm sure you weren't the first to have done that, and i'm sure you won't be the last. I imagine they needed to replace the self-service till.

Soldato

Had similar but it wasnt even open but some idiot pulled out in front of me, emergency stop and the 10l tub hitting the back seat caused it to open and somehow empty only a small part of the contents over the back of my seats (estate) got most of it out and luckily most had gone on the floor of the boot which was covered by a boot liner so bit of a hose off and a lucky escape considering. Paint always goes in the rear footwells now to avoid that ever happening again.

Associate
It only happens once then you buy something better to paint from than an open tin, I use the ‘Harris Handy holds’ but there are much fancier ones pro’s use!

Soldato
I once managed to drop a whole tin of blue paint on the floor in B&Q. I was grabbing one off the shelf and managed to pull the one next to it off as well. I saw it hit the floor in slow motion and the lid flew off. Paint went everywhere! All over the aisle, shelves, my legs! My girlfriend quickly ran away mortified while I'm stood there looking like a half smurf. Luckily no one else clocked me doing it, so I picked up the tin I wanted and strolled off to the checkout to find someone. I calmly pointed out that some idiot had managed to drop a tin of paint in one of the aisles, all the while hoping that my blue legs weren't a give away as to who the idiot was!

Back
Top Bottom