Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Associate
On the subject of recommendations, has anyone got a travel mug they’d recommend?

I use a klean kanteen tumbler at work, its a carry-around not a chuck in the bag cup though. I love the look of it and its very practical. They do make more flask-like ones.

Soldato
interesting list here of 'top beans' - slightly off putting having pact in there, although i guess they could have improved over the last few years...
https://www.shortlist.com/lists/best-coffee-beans-400565

Very interesting, most of those I haven't even heard of either!

Anyone got any personal recommendations for coffees on the list? Will have to start trying some.

Lately I've been going through Rave coffee's as I have had a couple of their 4 bag gift sets.

Soldato
Just ordered some of the Kenyan Peaberry from Wogan's, seen them recommended a few times now :)

That's a tasty batch, had some a week or so ago and really liked it.
Dc7ryOc.jpg
Popped down to Wogan's yesterday to get another bag of their monthly special. We went through the 250g really quickly so I bought another 500g. tempted to go back and get another 500 because once it's gone, it's gone/

Man of Honour
OP
Anyone got any personal recommendations for coffees on the list? Will have to start trying some.

I've had good coffee from Foundry, 200Degres and Extract but not those beans, Square mile red brick is my go-to blend (looks more expensive than it is as they do larger bags). Union is so-so, never been impressed with their beans but they work well in their coffee shops.

Do want to try Assembly but with smaller bags they are quite pricey.

Soldato
That's a tasty batch, had some a week or so ago and really liked it.
Dc7ryOc.jpg
Popped down to Wogan's yesterday to get another bag of their monthly special. We went through the 250g really quickly so I bought another 500g. tempted to go back and get another 500 because once it's gone, it's gone/

I've got that and a couple others on the way, not tried Wogan's before.

I've been on 47 Degrees American Diner blend, Colombian Supremo, and Tobacco Road for a few months. All really good, but fancy a change.

Soldato
I've got that and a couple others on the way, not tried Wogan's before.

I've been on 47 Degrees American Diner blend, Colombian Supremo, and Tobacco Road for a few months. All really good, but fancy a change.

Interested to see what you think of it as my partner and I can't get enough of it!

I'm lucky that the roastery is on my way to the office so I can just pop into the store whenever I fancy. I basically use it as my excuse to pop to the office... "Coffee is running low... better go to the office"

Associate
Anyone got any recommendations for roasters in Devon or the South West? I've tried Devon Coffee Company and both varieties I tried were a bit meh.

I've only really had generic supermarket or big brand beans before this, and whilst I can definitely taste the difference in terms of freshness with local stuff, I'm looking for something a bit more fruity and aromatic.

It takes me about 2 weeks to get through a 250g bag so getting lots of different varieties to try can get expensive and also wasteful!

I drink a mix of double espresso and latte from a B2C machine if that makes any difference.

TIA.

Soldato
Anyone got any recommendations for roasters in Devon or the South West? I've tried Devon Coffee Company and both varieties I tried were a bit meh.

I've only really had generic supermarket or big brand beans before this, and whilst I can definitely taste the difference in terms of freshness with local stuff, I'm looking for something a bit more fruity and aromatic.

It takes me about 2 weeks to get through a 250g bag so getting lots of different varieties to try can get expensive and also wasteful!

I drink a mix of double espresso and latte from a B2C machine if that makes any difference.

TIA.

I'm in Bristol so a bit north of you but I have a monthly subscription with Blind Owl Coffee which is quite nice but I prefer going to Wogan's Coffee. Extract Coffee is also quite nice and local

all are available online also

Soldato
I've had a few decent bags from Crankhouse coffee, and recently just checked out coffee by the casuals.

I've had loads of different subscriptions, dog and hat was cool as they come from all different roasters. At the moment I'm liking just picking stuff up when I need it and finding somewhere new.

Soldato
I've been on the Hasbean inmymug sub since lockdown last year. One bag every 2 weeks is perfect for me.

Not sure if this has been covered already but I was wondering what happened to Steve at HB? He seemed to leave very suddenly.. I have to say his videos and manner were one of the draws to HB. The other guys are getting better but they don't seem entirely comfortable on camera. Shame. The coffee is still great though...

I'm actually on a blend from Doppio now. A store opened up just down the road. Any thoughts on those guys? :)

Soldato
He sold up to Ozone (iirc) and left HB.
Sounds like the sale to Ozone was a long time ago and HB were continuing as their own brand. This was more recent, the post basically said for personal reasons. Sounded all very sudden. Oh well. He just seemed like a decent character and definitely a big plus to the brand.

Associate
Thanks all for the suggestions, I've ordered a couple bags from Wogan's to see me through.

Normally takes me about two weeks to get through a bag but got through the last one in 9 days, those couple extra afternoon espressos were clearly more frequent than I remember!

Back
Top Bottom