What's the most expensive item you've put in the rubbish?

I put a fully working inkjet printer in the trash only a fortnight ago. I got rid of it because it was guzzling ink. Don't make them like they used to. I replaced it with an ink tank system.

Mrs put my 3080 RTX in the bin by accident!!! She thought it was an empty box!!! Bin men had already taken it away by the time we realised lol

LTB!

Soldato
My folks chucked out my comic collection. I had hundreds of 60s spideys, and 70s xmen. Probably that would have sold for upwards of £10k now.

I still live in hope of finding a box of them in my mum's cellar.

Capodecina
Soldato
My folks chucked out my comic collection. I had hundreds of 60s spideys, and 70s xmen. Probably that would have sold for upwards of £10k now.

They probably wouldn't have. Comics always go for a lot less than people think. Unless you had a major character's first appearance in a good condition issue, the whole lot would sell for about 0.1% of that figure - comics don't go for high prices just because of age.

I had hundreds of Batman comics from the '60s to the '90s. The first appearance of the Scarecrow went for about £60, Talia al Ghul the same. The rest went for peanuts.

Soldato
They probably wouldn't have. Comics always go for a lot less than people think. Unless you had a major character's first appearance in a good condition issue, the whole lot would sell for about 0.1% of that figure - comics don't go for high prices just because of age.

I had hundreds of Batman comics from the '60s to the '90s. The first appearance of the Scarecrow went for about £60, Talia al Ghul the same. The rest went for peanuts.

I had a full run of 60s Silver Surfers, dozens of very early spideys, almost all xmens from 95 up, plus a load of 60s xmens. Lots more 60s iron man's, avengers, first appearances etc. Most in good condition and bagged.

I checked ebay so prices on a few and those went for lots of money. It hurt too much to check further...

Annoyingly, the only ones I can find are trash, marvel two in one and so on.

Capodecina
Soldato
I had a full run of 60s Silver Surfers, dozens of very early spideys, almost all xmens from 95 up, plus a load of 60s xmens. Lots more 60s iron man's, avengers, first appearances etc. Most in good condition and bagged.

I checked ebay so prices on a few and those went for lots of money. It hurt too much to check further...

Annoyingly, the only ones I can find are trash, marvel two in one and so on.

I feel for you then. Parents tend to do things like that without asking. "Oh he's not here, he obviously doesn't need them" kind of thing.

Soldato
I feel for you then. Parents tend to do things like that without asking. "Oh he's not here, he obviously doesn't need them" kind of thing.

The worst thing is I spent years of my life, until I was around 14, scouring junk shops and flea markets for those and I guess they would bring back a lot of memories.

I also had thousands of old cigarette cards. I used to buy bundles of those for 50p. They're gone, too.

Caporegime
Mrs put my 3080 RTX in the bin by accident!!! She thought it was an empty box!!! Bin men had already taken it away by the time we realised lol
I call bs.

Firstly why was she touching your stuff, secondly how thick do you have to be to not realise there's something in the box, it's not like 3080's weigh nothing.

Caporegime
Not me but years ago neighbours had had a new kitchen fitted (just cause they were bored of the old one) and put all the stuff out for the bin men, The appliances were all top brand stainless steel german stuff and all disappeared before bin day,

Worst with hindsight was my mother threw all my comic collection away that i had bought when I was kid.

Years later I see some of those comics sell for £50 each and even the none special editions for £2-£3 each so overall I reckon she threw away about £5k worth of comics (although they werent worth that then)

Man of Honour
When I was in the RAF based at Marham our Warrant Officer was always bin diving (well, skip diving). We had these huge covered skip bins and he used to regularly have a look to see what was being thrown out as people were allowed to bring old furniture and stuff from home to get rid of it. He got a old bike and set of dining chairs amongst other things. He hated to see something thrown out that could be made good again. Anyway, one day he went missing so the BUI (before use Inspection) team was sent off to look for him. About 15 minutes later the WO walked in looking rather ruffled, went into his office and shut the door. When the BUI team came back they were in stitches and said they were driving past the skips when they heard banging and shouting. They pulled over and went around the rear only to see a pair of legs sticking out. It turned out that the skip had been emptied that morning and there was something in the bottom he was trying to get and he overstretched, fell in and the lid that he was holding up closed on his legs so he was stuck and had been that way for quite some time. He never lived it down and that tale preceeded him to every camp he was posted to.

Associate
42" LG telly. Had it less than a year, moved house, and despite being stored and transported in its original packaging, the screen was shattered at the other end when I unpacked it. Meh.

Soldato
canon inkjet photo printer / scanner. cost a small fortune to keep "alive" due to the stupid way inkjets work... got taken to the skip and replaced with a cheapo laser printer.

Soldato
I went to the cashpoint once while eating a chocolate bar and withdrew a few hundred quid. Finished eating the chocolate while waiting for cash to dispense.
Grabbed cash, popped wrapper in the bin and walked off.

When I got home there was just a chocolate wrapper in my wallet...

Soldato
an old 3dfx voodoo 5 5500. was still working, probably, was just pretty much useless as it was AGP. I found out this year they're going for £500+ to collectors. ahh well.. easy come, easy go.

Soldato
Definitely kids stuff, like prams and toys. Can't even give them away.

Personally not much, I'm not into expensive stuff outside tech, and tend to keep that until it's no longer valuable, sell or give away.

Chucked out a fair few empty bottles though, so cumulatively it would probably be booze

Soldato
Definitely kids stuff, like prams and toys. Can't even give them away.

Personally not much, I'm not into expensive stuff outside tech, and tend to keep that until it's no longer valuable, sell or give away.

Chucked out a fair few empty bottles though, so cumulatively it would probably be booze
The point on kids stuff is hysterical. There is a huge market for kids crap where I live, and FB marketplace is flooded with all sorts. I bought some play pen barriers the other day and on collection I was offered several batches of 'gifts' :p (i.e. crap that they can't seem to shift even for free).

McLaren umbrella prams range between £1 and £30 for example :cry:

Soldato
I'm curious since I see a lot of scavengers roaming around checking peoples bin bags around here.
it's not even a nice place to live so I dunno what they expect to find.
also seems to be theft even if it's someones rubbish bag according to google

but it got me thinking so, whats the most expensive thing you've purposely thrown in the trash?

In Zurich? It's probably people collecting bottles and cans for the pfand.

Back
Top Bottom