The New European Super (borefest) League

Caporegime
So now there's presumably going to be a squabble about broken contracts and all of the remainers will of course argue that the Super League should go ahead as it was legally agreed.

Caporegime
I bet this new champs league will include so called big clubs that don't actually need to qualify....
That was the plan anyway. Well, something like it. If a team with a high enough UEFA coefficient doesn't qualify by default then they'll be in. Three or four teams like this so if Liverpool finish 5th in the PL for example they have enough recent points thanks to their two finals appearances and history to get 'invited' in by UEFA.

Don
He only profits when he sells. Palace might be worth £200m now, how much if they get relegated?
Considerably more than the £1-5m he put in. And I don't really agree with the "he only profits when he sells" line and that still ignores the fact that it's very likely (almost certain in fact) that he's already directly profited via the sale of some of his shares to the Americans. I have no issue with him doing so btw, I just queried the original point (not made by you) that he's not looking out for self interest. I'm not sure what your views are on Jordan but he certainly doesn't consider Parish a saviour of Palace and directly accused him of threatening to allow the club to go into liquidation if Jordan didn't hand the club over for next to nothing.
then this is just the start of the fall out then..
I'm not too sure what you mean by this. These plans have been known for quite sometime - UEFA had been working with the ECA (mainly the biggest sides in it) to restructure the CL in a way that appeased everybody, including the changes I mentioned. The general view, regarding the 2 automatic spots for the biggest sides that don't qualify via their league, was that it was terrible. As well as this, domestic leagues didn't want the additional games from the expanded CL as it would devalue their own competition - numerous representatives from PL sides spoke at the UEFA/ECA meeting trying to block this.

Despite all the complaints and concerns, UEFA were due to approve the reformat the other week only for the bigger sides to push for a little bit more - reportedly they wanted greater control of the running of the CL. Currently it's a partnership between the clubs and UEFA however UEFA have a veto, effectively giving them total control. This was said to have been resolved and then at the weekend, a day before the final UEFA meeting to rubber stamp everything, the Super League was announced.

UEFA still went ahead and approved the changes. It's some achievement for the biggest sides to have come out of this looking so bad when they've got so much of what they wanted.

Man of Honour
OK enough is enough. This is an absolute DISGRACE to football.

How dare they.
HOW VERY DARE THEY.

Chelsea and Man City should be kicked out of all football. They've just turned their back on literally days of history. Kids in two of our biggest footballing towns were waking up on a Tuesday dreaming of Superleague glory, now on a Wednesday their hopes have been cruelly dashed.

Disgusted doesn't come close to how I feel about this. Bankers from Madrid to Milan, from Tottenham to Turin will be crying themselves to sleep tonight, stabbed in the back by the actions of a selfish few.

I'm done with football.

Back
Top Bottom