• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Warning to everyone about scam websites selling 3 Series cards

Permabanned
OP
My sympathies to the OP, I was once scammed in a similar way but thankfully paid by credit rather than debit and got my money back. I would love to say I was smart but it was pure chance but I was told by the bank that there are far more protections for credit card payments.

It is very possible to live within your means and have a credit card, the problems arise when a person has no self control and lives well beyond their means.

Yes, these websites are setting up their websites to make people panic buy GPU. So you see a 3090 and only 1 left so rush to pay and buy then find out after 30days non delivery it was a scam. Awful state of affairs.

Associate
Whilst I would agree that the OP should get a credit card with direct debit to pay the balance off every month, I am wondering how many people her have had actual experience of using the section 75 protection. I have and it was painful and fruitless. I'm not sure if all banks are the same, but mine uses an insurance company to manage the process...

Associate
Some years ago, a hotel I stayed at decided to charge my credit card twice. I tried to resolve the issue myself after I got home (I didn't know about the double charge until I got home). The Hotel just denied they would do that and offered no further help. Contacted my credit card and within 7 days got a written response via letter saying the money had been refunded. Thank fully I have not had to use the credit card protection since. Not sure if that example is part of section 75 or not, but thought I would share the example.

Associate
Good to know and help restore my faith. I'm starting to plan my retirement and in having a look at what we have been spending I went through bank statements from 2019. I saw two identical payments to my wife's credit card on the same day. I always check my statements but can't check hers 'cos she never keeps receipts, or else hides them for years in the crevices of a handbag. Impossible to follow up on now I guess...

Associate
I got reply from My bank, looks like they managed to back charge the transaction.
They left a disclaimer That they keep the right to charge me again if Retailer (Scammer) comes forward with new evidence.

So I guess I'm one leg out of the woods.
No idea what happened. Was scared to even open the email. Took me 5 min to gather Enough courage to see the reply.

I would like to thank many ppl here to give helpful Info and criticism.
I will defo Make changes the way I spend money online.
Hope others learn aswel.

Associate
I got reply from My bank, looks like they managed to back charge the transaction.
They left a disclaimer That they keep the right to charge me again if Retailer (Scammer) comes forward with new evidence.

So I guess I'm one leg out of the woods.
No idea what happened. Was scared to even open the email. Took me 5 min to gather Enough courage to see the reply.

I would like to thank many ppl here to give helpful Info and criticism.
I will defo Make changes the way I spend money online.
Hope others learn aswel.
Grats mate. Definitely use a credit card if you can pay it off at the end of every month. It boots your credit rating above someone without a credit card to do so.

Soldato
A word of warning to everybody about credit cards!

I been read lots of horror stories in many forums every month from customers got thousands of pounds out of pockets on credit cards supposed to give them protection when buy goods went wrong or never received or been scammed and had their section 75 claims so often rejected by credit card suppliers. If you used credit cards to buy goods or holidays with third party payment processors such as Paypal, Amazon Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay etc then you will not get refund back. The same thing will apply on cryptocurrency payment processors too.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...0.1574940379.1618882408-1042974417.1618648277

Few days ago I read many news about Barclays reduced thousands customers credit card spending limit like £30,000 to just £2,500, one customers Scott Waterman had limit reduced from £13,600 to just £250

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/man-sees-13k-wiped-barclaycard-23925845

Cut credit card limit can damage credit score.

https://debtcamel.co.uk/barclaycard-cuts-credit-limits-2021/

Barclays was not the only one, US credit cards suppliers cut $99bn from US customers credit spending limits in 2020.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...her-banks-cut-99-billion-from-spending-limits

Look like other UK banks and UK credit card suppliers could follow soon to cut credit limit further this year due to COVID19. Last year Virgin Money, HBOS and others cancelled thousands customers credit cards during first lockdown.

Shame people cant buy £2699 KFA2 RTX 3090 HOF card with a credit card limit cut £10,000 down to £250.

Soldato
I just gone online to my bank, and they give me 9% card 8000£ spending limit, set up to clear balance by direct debit end of a month. that was easy.
I guess it will be canceled i realy have no need for it.

But if it gives protection when i need it then its a good deal.

I'm glad you have got a credit card now - my jaw absolutely dropped when I read your previous comments - I'd cancel your debit card as well incase the scammers try and debit you again - I only use credit online, or I have a separate debit card account with zero over draft and I only move in the exact amount of money I need to buy something as long as its legit.

People who use debit cards online, and stash thousands in the debit account make my stomach drop - absolute crazy. My main debit account ONLY has bills coming out of it - from legit companies, everything else is as I have just said - it gives me the power & 2nd debit/credit is a gate keeper for me - I only have PayPal linked to my 2nd 'empty' debit card account also, PayPal is the devil.

Soldato

I'm surprised that article is so wishy washy, it's actually quite simple; if you use say PayPal where you log in to your account and then tell PayPal to use your credit card as a funding source, the funds are loaded by PayPal, then PayPal sends the funds to the retailer, you get PayPal protection but not section 75. However some retailers use PayPal as their CC processor, so you don't log in, you just put in your CC details directly, you then don't have a contract with PayPal, it's direct with the retailer, same as sagepay, worldpay etc.

I've successfully used S75 via PayPal when done like this. Same applies to Google pay etc., If you load funds via your CC then use those funds, S75 doesn't apply, but when you put your CC details in via the retailers website it doesn't matter who they use as their CC supplier.

Associate
Whilst I would agree that the OP should get a credit card with direct debit to pay the balance off every month, I am wondering how many people her have had actual experience of using the section 75 protection. I have and it was painful and fruitless. I'm not sure if all banks are the same, but mine uses an insurance company to manage the process...

I have had 2 experiences that I remember:
  • HSBC many, many years ago. Purchased a good in the US (New York) while on holiday with my credit card. It wasn't fit for purpose and the entire transaction on reflection and research violated several Sale of Goods practices in the US. The US vendor refused to refund so I raised a complaint when I was back in the UK. I submitted quite an essay to HSBC but they refunded without issues. All they asked was the good be sent to them which was fine with me.
  • More recently, had multiple Apple charges on my Lloyds Credit Card. Lloyds refunded without issue and cancelled the card. I don't have any Apple devices
For my wife:
  • Several years ago, she ordered a bed for a client (she's an Interior Designer) but the company pretty much disappeared. Although Section 75 only applies to Consumers and not Businesses, HSBC applied the same principle and refunded her company in full.

Associate

I been read lots of horror stories in many forums every month from customers got thousands of pounds out of pockets on credit cards supposed to give them protection when buy goods went wrong or never received or been scammed and had their section 75 claims so often rejected by credit card suppliers. If you used credit cards to buy goods or holidays with third party payment processors such as Paypal, Amazon Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay etc then you will not get refund back. The same thing will apply on cryptocurrency payment processors too.

That's an incorrect generalisation. I covered the exceptions to this in my previous reply and @andybird123 has covered it as well. Don't take everything you read on forums at face value. People, especially when distressed or angry can often misrepresent the situation.

Cryptocurrencies are completely different. As far as I'm aware, cryptocurrencies and even cryptoassets in general are not currently considered a "good" as defined by the Sale of Goods Act 1979 so are not afforded protection under that. I would agree with this determination as well. I would expect government issued cryptocurrencies to be protected similarly to cash but it's quite new and I've not looked into it yet.

Back
Top Bottom