Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
If the manner of the restraint wasn't known to impede breathing then yes, absolutely, it is helpful to the defence.

It would mean he had a breathing impediment not related to the restraint. If that unrelated impediment could be the cause of his death, then of course that's helpful to the defence.

Let's not forget the context here. We're not talking about medical professionals tending to a patient in a hospital setting.

We're talking about cops dealing with a guy who is actively resisting arrest, and who has a previous criminal record, and is high on who knows what..
We are talking about a cop dealing with a guy who is in a vegetables state and continue nto compress him.

I believe that is why the jury voted how they did, plus some key statements from experts showing classic gf body movements to a trained eye of how the human body was fighting for air.

Soldato
Absolutely not true

I’m not saying Police reform isn’t possible - I’m just suggesting that the rhetoric has been whipped up to such an extent that the entire atmosphere is toxic. It’s like a powder keg. And it’s made worse by politicians on both sides are seen to be making it worse not toning it down. That it’s so bad that even if genuine police reforms take place, I’m not certain it will make much difference to the perspective of a lot of people.

Soldato
I believe that is why the jury voted how they did, plus some key statements from experts showing classic gf body movements to a trained eye of how the human body was fighting for air.

To the trained eye of a doctor yes, the guy was a cop trying to restrain a violent career criminal who was not cooperating and resisting arrest, slight difference.

Associate
I’m not saying Police reform isn’t possible - I’m just suggesting that the rhetoric has been whipped up to such an extent that the entire atmosphere is toxic. It’s like a powder keg. And it’s made worse by politicians on both sides are seen to be making it worse not toning it down. That it’s so bad that even if genuine police reforms take place, I’m not certain it will make much difference to the perspective of a lot of people.

The key actions addressed above would absolutely be received well by the country as a whole, especially if/when the associated outcomes match the expected reductions.

Soldato
lPolice Union Contracts. Every 4-6 years your police dept’s accountability system is re-negotiated. Purging misconduct records, reinstating fired officers, dept funding- it’s in the contract. Cities with worse contracts have higher police violence rates

I agree that unions should be restricted from leveraging the people that pay their members wages in these sort of ways.

Any chance the usual suspects will show consistency and agree to it across the board though, at least for all public employees and their unions , and not just the ones they want to defund?

Associate
To the trained eye of a doctor yes, the guy was a cop trying to restrain a violent career criminal who was not cooperating and resisting arrest, slight difference.
You see this is where I think the jury sees it differently. A vegetable body is not someone who is resisting, by making a choice to continue to compress a dead corpse makes it murder.

Why didn't chauvin just listen to the younger copper to put him in recovery instead of refusal? Only he will know why he said no.

Soldato
but if it can kick start some changes in America at least his death wouldn't have been in vain for them. Silver lining and all that

The only thing that'll change is that the police will let ghettos sink even further into the **** as black neighbourhood will be police no go zones. Law-abiding black people can kiss goodbye to the last bit of protection from criminals they ever had. Why would the police bother ever again to engage with black people again?

Caporegime
I said you inferred it with your sarky comments around defund the police.
Again you're mistaken. I didn't use the words "defund the police" at all.

I said that multiple commentators had talked about the idea of "abolishing the police" gaining traction. I (correctly) stated that this had been mentioned multiple times on BBC News programmes.

I never mentioned looting and you're just flinging crap around in the hope that something might stick.

Maybe you might make one post where you get your fact straight, but I'm not holding my breath.

Soldato

If you need to kneel on someones neck for 9 minutes when he has already been handcuffed behind his back then maybe you don't have what it takes to be a good cop :rolleyes:
But hey, you carry on being an apologist for a violent scummy cop who clearly has zero respect for human life :mad:

Caporegime
If you need to kneel on someones neck for 9 minutes when he has already been handcuffed behind his back then maybe you don't have what it takes to be a good cop :rolleyes:
But hey, you carry on being an apologist for a violent scummy cop who clearly has zero respect for human life :mad:
How much respect for human life is being demonstrated by a guy who drives whilst high as a kite? Riddle me that one.

Soldato
This from the guy who strangely brought Brexit into this thread for no good reason at all. Think that destroyed any argument you were trying to make.

Soldato
The only thing that'll change is that the police will let ghettos sink even further into the **** as black neighbourhood will be police no go zones. Law-abiding black people can kiss goodbye to the last bit of protection from criminals they ever had. Why would the police bother ever again to engage with black people again?

I don't think the black Americans will be too upset by that. Not until the relationship between the police and themselves is fixed (was it ever there?)

Just an endless cycle of mistrust at the moment. It's sad but selfishly I'm glad I'm not over there

Caporegime
OP
Last edited:
Associate
How much respect for human life is being demonstrated by a guy who drives whilst high as a kite? Riddle me that one.

such an incredibly juvenile comment.

Regardless of the actions of a criminal/member of the public, the police should always be acting as decent, moral and fair actors as they carry out their jobs.

surely you can agree to this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom