Hybrid motors can they be this good?

Associate
Just going through the process of ordering a Velar P400e and the powertrain looks to good to be true.
My first choice would have been the SVR but the P400e comes so close in performance the extra thousands don't make sense other than for the V8 growl.

In real terms can a hybrid be this good against the mighty SVR

Hybrid 404 PS, SVR 550 PS
640 NM, 680 NM
5.1, 4.3 0-60 mph

First Hybrid I would own and is as fast as a Nissan Skyline R33 V-Spec and Audi A7 Bi-Turbo I have also had, it just takes some believing that they are this good. Thoughts will it translate to the road ?

Does anyone have any idea why air suspension isn't an optional extra on this model ? Dealer doesn't seem to know.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Battery, motor and electrics probably take up the space needed for the air suspension components.

If I had the choice, I'd get the V8

If I had the choice it was the SVR F-Type but I have a wife and kid and a dog and they travel every day :)

Ah makes sense with the batteries etc never thought of that

Associate
0-60 in 4.3 is hardly anything to write home about. So not sure what you mean by "can a hybrid be this good"
Most performance cars are running 0-60 in the 3.XXs range these days, 2.XXs is the ideal place to be. 404PS is a decent amount of power, but around 600bhp is ideal imo to make use of all situations on the road.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
0-60 in 4.3 is hardly anything to write home about. So not sure what you mean by "can a hybrid be this good"
Most performance cars are running 0-60 in the 3.XXs range these days, 2.XXs is the ideal place to be. 404PS is a decent amount of power, but around 600bhp is ideal imo to make use of all situations on the road.

:o 600ponies is nowhere near enough for our roads.

Soldato
A real world test I looked up is saying almost 7 seconds to 60 and quite a slow 1/4 mile time for a P400e. This is not exactly a light car. Just under 400hp, but it's in a giant 2.3t brick.

Last edited:
Soldato

Your bizarre perspective always amuses me. :)

Soldato
with a bit more money isn't the x45e hybrid the one to go for , nearly 2x the battery size and greater electric range - Harry's garage review sticks with me.
(mercedes next gen hybrids also have bigger batteries too, I'm hoping its a trend , batteries are getting cheaper))

Soldato
*0-60 in 4.3 is hardly anything to write home about.
*Most performance cars are running 0-60 in the 3.XXs range these days, 2.XXs is the ideal place to be.
*404PS is a decent amount of power,
*but around 600bhp is ideal imo to make use of all situations on the road.
WHAT? lol This is one of your stranger summeries lol.

It's early in the morning for me so I might be dreaming... these "facts" probably make up around 0.1% of all cars. I don't know any SUV's running 2.xx's which is what he's on about here? He's comparing a hybrid to the V8 counterpart.... and just surprised that the hybrid isn't to far behind a powerful V8 (powerful in normal peoples books).

Even a 700bhp TrackHawk SUV which is one of the quickest in the world will only run around 3.2 - 3.3s to 60 and won't run 2.xx's. Not a performance car? Mmmm I think Jeep and the rest of the world may disagree.

Last edited:
Soldato

It's early in the morning for me so I might be dreaming... these "facts" probably make up around 0.1% of all cars. I don't know any SUV's running 2.xx's which is what he's on about here? He's comparing a hybrid to the V8 counterpart.... and just surprised that the hybrid isn't to far behind a powerful V8 (powerful in normal peoples books).

Even a 700bhp TrackHawk SUV which is one of the quickest in the world will only run around 3.2 - 3.3s to 60 and won't run 2.xx's. Not a performance car? Mmmm I think Jeep and the rest of the world may disagree.
It's his gimmick. He has a whole thread on it.

Soldato
Ignore this guy, he lives in a land of dreams

Soldato
with a bit more money isn't the x45e hybrid the one to go for , nearly 2x the battery size and greater electric range - Harry's garage review sticks with me.
(mercedes next gen hybrids also have bigger batteries too, I'm hoping its a trend , batteries are getting cheaper))

Arguably Velar is a segment below X5 (thats Range Rover Sport space)

Velar also offers DC charging up to 32kW which is pretty cool.

I'm not sure you can order the SVA-R Dynamic now since 21MY update ? (Velar SVR)

Battery, motor and electrics probably take up the space needed for the air suspension components.

Correct :)

Associate

Hennessey's 750bhp Lamborghini Urus does 0-60 in 2.65secs. That is an SUV last time I checked.

Back
Top Bottom