whats a good PC External Blu-Ray Writer?

Associate
next pc tower will have no front area for my pioneer bluray writer so wondered what would be a good external one to buy please in the hope they are as good as the internal ones?

cheers

Associate
I got a Samsung USB external blu-ray about 4 years ago, still going strong and a lot smaller and neater looking than the enclousure/full size drive versions, but if looks aren't important, you can get USB (with external power adapter) cables for 3.5 inch HDD/BR-DVD drives for reasonable prices.

Associate
Got two here for different purposes - Hitachi-LG BP55 External Blu-Ray Drive (this thing reads absolutely anything!) and Pioneer BDR-XS07TS (bit more selective on what it likes to read). Both used for reading and backups of important things. Nice thing is that they're USB bus powered so no external power brick needed

Associate
OP
Hitachi-LG BP55 External looks and sounds cool thanks for that info and i would have gone for the Pioneer BDR-XS07TS but i like the sound of it will play anything more :)

Associate
enclosure also sounds good depending on what i can afford atm

I think this is the route I need to take these days.

The cases have no space these days for drives, and they really are bulky. I need by BluRay writer, but only once in a blue moon. Makes far more sense to keep it in the cupboard.

Let us know what enclosure you go for in the end.

Soldato
Do we still use external drives?

Using external drives has saved my bacon a few times. At bit a data corruption get on your main machines, then goes into the backups, you don't realize it until you do a restore.
The offline storage generally is the last to be effected. Kinda why I like read only optical storage.

I also switch machines a lot. Its handy to be able, just plug in a drive and have everything there.

Back
Top Bottom